main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Life of a Fire Fighter

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #651---The Exodus

Date: Monday, October 06th, 2008

I knew wildland fire season wasn't quite over yet. There's times when you can just feel that the fire season just isn't ready to give up yet. We were toned out on Thursday to assist a controlled burn that went bad, jumping over the lines and the crews present were too few to contain the fire. We deployed a tender and a brush truck, and four personnel. I was on the brush truck and we ended up fighting fire through the night. It was the first time I had fought wildland fires at night time (a practice that is avoided if at all possabile by most agencies) and although we were just mopping up a few yards in from the lines so the fire wouldn't jump the lines in the morning, it was pretty sweet watching fire at night time on that scale. It was like a war zone with spot fires here and there as we drove the lonely dirt roads at night with fire further in the forest in the background.

I now have power at the house! :D At least until I get moved over to the cabin where I have a gernator in a few months. :(

2. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #652---The Exodus

Date: Wednesday, October 15th, 2008

I'm up here in Denver this week with family. My grandmom, Aunt Helen, and Uncle Heary are up here along with Mom and I. We're getting Mom's house ready for the market and such.

Been cleaning out a lot of my old stuff and going through a lot of memories.

I was officially named the Training Officer for my Fire Department a week ago.

3. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #653---The Exodus

Date: Saturday, October 18th, 2008

Finished up with Mom and family yesterday. This is funny how God works: I made it into Walensburg (the Truck Stop at least) and started down State HWY 69 and make it to about mile marker 3 and a half when God started knocking on my head. I answered and turned around. About fifteen minutes later I had an apartment in Walensburg. Moved in that night, got around forty minutes of sleep, and went to work. God answered my prayer about needing to save gas money and wanting to move in to Walensburg. And the Godliest thing about it was the fact that He had given me a thought (maybe a vision ?) about doing what happened that very day with the apartment and all. Praise and honor be to God forever and ever! :)

EDIT: Also, Jesus Christ Our Lord also provided for the money to replace a car battery before I left for Denver, put a 150 plus dollar charge on my vehicle, and get me fuel to get back from Denver to Gardner. Glory and prraise be to God! Amen! :D

4. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #654---The Exodus

Date: Sunday, November 09th, 2008

We had training yesterday at the Fire House. Since I'm in charge of training now (being the Training Lieutennat and all), I had to make a small decision about training. We had some members who were out that day due to work, classroom, and family reasons. So I decided to do a small training to where I could get everyone caught back up on yesterday training during the next training.

Other then that, I had a nice talk with the head of our fire board (my Fire Chief's boss) as well some time after the training. He's a nice guy and all and we got along good.

Other then that, man did I get a desire push-up to go be a missionary today! Man, I just wish. pray, that God would open the door for missionary work for me! It's tearing me apart inside!

5. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #655---The Exodus

Date: Thursday, November 13th, 2008

I'm just so frustrated right now. There's been a lot of times in the last few days where I've been woundering why I'm staying here in Walensburg. I have come with the reasons: God, Fire Department, lack of money. And though all three are valid reasons, it just seems like if I don't please everyone else and move back to Denver, then I'm not worthy enough to be their friend.

And these aren't just friends, these are my three Best Friends, the three guys that I'm closet to: Brennan, Donovan, and Dudak. There the clkoset thing I got to family. I mean, I have Jarrod back in Denver, too, but the problem is coming up with the first three.

No one can see my point of view. And I'm starting to wonder if my point of view is wrong. Is staying in Walensburg the wrong thing? Am i staying here because of a hope to renew my Fire Fighter One? Or am I really staying here for God? Does God want me to go back to Denver?

It feels right to stay here for God, but I just don't know if I'm really looking at it with God's eyes or my own eyes.

6. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #656---The Exodus

Date: Sunday, November 16th, 2008

I explained the reasons why to Donovan and Brennan over the last few days (Donovan today) and they better understand my reasons why I'm staying in Walensburg. There is a big weight off of my chest. :)

7. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #657---The Exodus

Date: Friday, November 28th, 2008

Got into a really bad car accident Sunday while responding to a fire call. I rolled my vehicle and went to the hospital. I didn't have full coerage on the jeep, so it's a complete loss. But I am alive. :) Except for a few cuts on my head, shoulder, right hand, and in a lot of pain (on pain meds and off of work for a week for both 7-Eleven and light duty at the Fire House), I'm doing okay.

The only thing that sucks is being off work from 7-11 with no pay coming in. Since it happened while on shift with the Fire House, 7-11 doesn't owe me a thing. The Fire House paid for my medical bills and further doctor appointments and adjustments to my neck.

8. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Sorry to hear that Jason but I am glad you are ok. Jus' take it easy for a while there Superman til You are better. :cool:

Hope the Holiday found you well fed Buddy. Happy Holidays!

Get better soon!

9. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Thanks Cory. :) The holidays left me well fed, indeed. You?

I'm still out of work, which sucks, but I see the doctor again this Thursday to see if I can return to work and what-not. Still sore and all, but feeling better slowly but surely. :)

10. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Dude, I was well fed for days! It was like... Turkey-palooza for 3 days and then I am having a late T-dinner this weekend at a friends. Oi!

[face_peace]

11. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #658---The Exodus

Date: Wednesday, December 10th, 2008

Today was the first day I ran after my car accident while responding to that fire call about two weeks ago. It felt really good to run, even though I felt the 'no running in almost three weeks' feeling in my body. ;) :p

12. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #659---The Exodus

Date: Tuesday, December 30th, 2008

Just got off the phone with my best-friend Brennan a few minutes ago. Ahh, man, we had another talk about me moving back to Denver. I know where he's coming from, I really do, and I folded during the talk rather then standing up for what I really wanted to say, which was, I was here (in Walensburg) for God. How do ypu explain to someone you've known since first grade that you don't want to do your dream job anymore and you have a new dream? I want to be a Pastor, travel the world preaching God's Word, and work in God's Kingdom. And I know God is training me for something---you can't miss it. Despite all of satan's tricks, lies, and back-stabbing, you can't ignore the feeling that God IS in control through-out.

Okay, so to some fire service stuff. I'm still on the in-active list until I get completely cleared from the workmen's comp doctors mid January. My chief is throwing a fit about it because he needs everyone he can get, but he also understands rules are rules. It does make it diffucult with the fact that I'm trying to update my Wildland Fire Fighting stuff and I'm completely out of the loop as to what is going on training wise and I'm the Training Officer of all people! :eek: Maybe talking with people would help? [face_thinking] :p I'm not going to worry about it.

Anyways, still with-out a car. Got my free car up and running after putting over three hundred dollars into it and the transmission goes out on the first day. That's what you get for getting a car for free though. ;) Just God working baby, that's all it is. :cool:

13. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #670---The Exodus

Date: Wenesday, January 14th, 2009

Well, I'm cleared by the doctors to return to active duty with the Fire Department. But, it just doesn't feel right anymore. God has called and I can't help but go towards Him, even when I feel like He can't hear me (although I know He does, my faith tells me that), all I want to do is go towards Him...

EDIT: Grammer

14. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #671---The Exodus

Date: Monday, January 19th, 2009

We've had two fire calls in the county over the last two days. The one last night I have yet to see the report on, but it looks like it was a weird one. My Fire Department was not invovled. I just got off of stand-by for mutal aid with another Fire Department---the fire turned out to be out by the time the first units arrived.

I was sitting outside on the porch, listening to the radio when the call was going on and I saw my reflection in the window. It brought back some memories of the good ole days and I called my old training officer from Jackson 105, John, and left a voicemail saying hi to him. It brings back memories, but I want to be a pastor.

But I don't feel God in it. I know that's odd to say, it's probably just one of those quiet moments God gives us. But it's just frustrating to not hear Him when your about to give everything up for Him. Maybe that's what He wants, to see what we'll going to do when we can't hear Him?

15. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #672---The Exodus

Date: Sunday, March 01st, 2009

I attended the last of three Wildland Fire Fighter trainings last weekend the county has had for all local Fire Departments, including some outside the county but close to us, people we might operate with on calls. I conducted training on Saturday at the Fire House. We went over SCBA donning and doffing, loaded hose back onto one of our trucks, cleaned tools from that Wildland training we had the previous weekend, and cleaned up the Fire House.

Jesus Christ is moving right now. I might be leaving the Fire Service very soon here. There are some other options I have to stay in the Fire Service and I have been inquiring The Lord now and then on them, but I must say I have to inquire Him more about it.

I love you God! :)

16. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #673---The Exodus

Date: Friday, March 13th, 2009

My Mom passed away yesterday. I got the call Monday to come to Littleton about my Mom being in the hospital. She was saved and went home to Jesus Christ. :) Thank you Jesus Christ.

17. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #674---The Exodus

Date: Saturday, April 18th, 2009

I found myself in one of the local newspapers along with three other guys from the Fire House I think a week and a half ago now. I saved two copies of the newspaper for memories, since I don't have a lot of pictures of my time in the Americian Fire Service over the last six years. I have photos from my first Fire Department and now from this Fire Department, but none from my paid experience. I wish I would have taken more photos over the years, but I never did. Oh well, the few pictures I have can help connect the story of my time in the Fire Service with the stories I have.

So, as you can guess from above there, I'm on my way out. Really just a matter of weeks now, if not more like just a week or two. I'm just so tired of fighting God on His calling for me and God has driven really any desire I had for the Fire Service away and towards Him. I loved the time I spent in the Fire Service, with six years training for and in the Americian Fire Service, over four years of Line Fire Fighter experience, over three years of Emergency Medical Technician-Basic experience, two Fire Fighter One Academies, a HazMat Technician course, student-instructor and assistant-instructor experience at two Fire Academies and my current Fire Department as a Training Lieutenant. My Fire Fighter Career spanned four Fire Departments, two States, and a combination of Cadet, Volunteer, Paid, and Paid-on-Call experience.

Not half bad for a special-education student with a studdering problem who didn't beleive in himself. ;) All thanks go to God for what He did for me in getting me to know Him during the years prior to being saved by Him and then saved by Him at twenty-one years of age. :)

18. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #675---The Exodus

Date: Monday, May 18th, 2009

Well, Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 will be my final day (morning really) in the Fire Service and my journey back home begins to end my own Exodus from home. For those of you who have read this journal from the beginning, you've been a witness to me spend six years of my life related to the Fire Service. We've had the tough times, the good times, the sad times, the joking times, and those times of God yanking me away from it all to go serve Him.

With everything that happened during my time in the Fire Service, I think it can all be summed up with this quote:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." - A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.