main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Light Side's inability to see through the Dark Side.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Philosopher1701, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philosopher1701

Philosopher1701 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    In AOTC (and I'm sure ROTS), the Jedi mention that the Dark Side clouds everything. My question is: Why can't the Jedi see through that cover? Is the Dark Side's "shroud" somehow invincible to the Light Side? Isn't there somebody (even Yoda, if anybody else) who could figure out a way to meditate and use the Force to see through the deception that the Dark Side creates?

I just don't understand why the Light Side isn't able to remove the Dark Side's cover. I think it may have something to do with the fact that the Force is out of balance because of the Dark Side's presence, and that may have something to do with the Light Side's inability to see through the Dark Side, but I'm not sure.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You walk into a pitch black room and light a candle, or even 100 candles. You can see quite well, but you can't see everything, not every dark corner.

3. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I recall reading somewhere (in an interview) where Lucas, I believe, said that Palpatine was as blind in the Force during the OT as the Jedi were in the PT. Therefore this was the reason he was unable to foresee Vader turning on him and his demise that followed as a result of.

4. Strung_Guru

Strung_Guru Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    AOTC also has a scene in which Yoda mentions the arrogance of the Jedi. Perhaps this arrogance is part of the reason for their inability to see what is right under their upturned noses.

Unlike Western religious thought in which Good (the Light Side) must eventually conquer Evil (the Dark Side), the Star Wars universe seems to be more closely alligned with the Eastern idea of balance (Yin-Yang) being the goal. A person can be blinded by the brightest light as easily as they can be lost in the darkest night.

I think that this is why the Jedi are unable to see the Dark Side rising. They are blinded by the Light. And that Light is providing a glow for those on the Dark Side to see by. Later, the opposite is true when the Dark Side is everywhere. The Light Side is a flickering flame which is all our heroes need to find a way to help bring much needed balance to the Force and to the galaxy.

-Guru

5. Mackster23

Mackster23 Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    The real question is, are the sith and jedi going to do this battle for eternity?
    Or was ROTJ the end of the sith??

6. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Here's my theory;

A Jedi can "see" the future through the Force, as events are going to naturally unfold. The catch is that in knowing the future, they are able to change it.

Suppose that two Jedi are meditating, and seeing into the future. They both see the same future- say, a smuggler shooting an alien in cold blood. However, one of the Jedi decides that he doesn't like this future, so he goes and warns the alien that he's about to get shot, and he needs to be on his guard.

(The alien, sadly, just gets very nervous and twitchy, and although he does manage to fire a shot at the smuggler, it misses by a mile and he still gets shot.)

The point is that the first Jedi did see into the future, and saw things as they were naturally going to unfold. The second Jedi changed the way the future unfolded, yet the first Jedi was completely unaware that anything unusual was happening (as the Jedi were about Kamino etc. up until AOTC.) The way the future actually unfolded was due to the actions of a single individual who was aware of how the future was going to unfold before he intervened.

It's only because he knew something about the future that he was able to change it. As many stories have shown (Hamlet springs to mind), you can't just make a prophecy about the future and expect it not to have an affect on the way it unfolds...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.