main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The London Film Club - A Chat about Films

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I thought it would be nice to have a thread to talk about films. New cinema or DVD releases, golden oldies, films currently in production or just things you've heard on the grape-vine ;)

I'll start by talking about The Brothers Grimm film which I saw this weekend.

The film was made by one of my all time heroes, Terry Gilliam, a real maverick in the world of commercial film-making. Despite the so-so reviews, I really enjoyed it and finally seeing a Gilliam film on the big screen is great!!
    I think there?s plenty going on for all to enjoy, and if you like his previous work or anything that?s slightly ridiculous, you?ll certainly like this.
    I was slightly surprised by how grotesque it was in parts though....you?ve been warned :p

Overall, I?d give it 4 stars but I?m slight bias ;)

2. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I really want to see that movie too.
    And four stars out of five I am assuming?

Ok, I watched 'Batman Begins' this weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    After the farces that were Batman Returns onwards, it was nice to see a darker side to the Batman franchise again.
    I was glued to the screen for the whole movie.
    I would give this four stars also.

3. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    The brothers Grimm, I want to see that I might try this weekend to see it after I get my first project handed in.

Batman Begins, I reall enjoyed that one. I agree there were quite a few of them which sucked but I really enjoyed that one. Although my main gripe with it was Katie Holmes, but hey nothing's perfect ;)

I haven't seen anything in some time, last film I saw was Corpse Bride which was in September. Not Tim Buton's best but still rather entertaining, I liked the style and look of the movie. Of course love the soundtrack by Danny Elfman, but he generally doesn't dissapoint me when it comes to the soundtrack.

After Brothers Grimm next one I will probably end up seeing is the Goblet of fire, trying not to get too much of an opinion before hand as the first two movies sucked, liked prisoner of Azkaban even if a chunk was cut out. GOF is going to have even more taken out but based on the trailers the special effects won't be dissapointing me like the last ones have

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Anyone know what date the DOOM movie is out?

I read somewhere that it was either last week of October or first week of November
    First week of November is here and its not come out yet [face_thinking]

5. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    that might be a US date, will have a look around for a date

Edit:

2nd December UK release date

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  7. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    darth-dom (Ant) has seen Doom (press-screening) and I've asked him if he minds posting his review on here. It's s funny review....I shall say no more ;)

I've got loads to say on Batman Begins, Brothers Grimm, Corpse Bride and Harry Potter, but I'm too busy at the mo so will post later :p

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I saw Batman Begins the other day.

Very good 4 Mayhems.

Looking forwards to Cronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Problem with Narnia cronicle films is that they only ever do The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe
    Their are 7 cronicles to choose from, and some are equally as good as that is.

So why do they only do number 2?

10. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    My all time favourite film (other than the obvious) is The Rocky Horror Picture Show!
    Gotta have my fix every month.

11. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    1, cos to be honest, LWAW is the best one, I've read some of the others and 2 is the best. Anyway, I'm sure there are some American Pirates around for Doom, not that I surrport it just for a taster.

12. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    I saw The Brothers Grimm with Matt over the weekend, and I agree that it was great. It had all the off-beat weirdness that I want with a Gilliam film, and I could really get into the characters. I'm looking forward to seeing it again actually, it's definately on my DVD list.

Doom... I was utterly dissapointed with it. I can't post my actual review on here because I think that breaks some kind of publishing rule or something. In brief though, it had hardly any resemblance to the game, the pacing was tedious, and the monsters were boring for the most part (especially next to their game counterparts). I was really looking forward to it too, there was (and still is) so much potentual in Doom (the Game) for a bloody great film. Actually, the one good thing about the film was the First Person Shooter segment, that was entertaining but only lasted a few minutes.

I'm hopefully going to see Land of the Dead soon, has anyone here seen it? What should I expect?

13. fizzbin

fizzbin Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    Tell us about it Janall!

Can't disagree there, except I prefer the Roxy Cast version to listen to.

14. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    That?s not the review you sent me Ant, you told me you loved Doom :p

Brothers Grimm

Go see it if you can! Reviews I?ve read say it?s confussing, but it?s not confussing at all. Even my sister understood it and she finds Star Wars confussing, so that says it all ;)
    Th film is a lot of fun and just has a great look and feel.
    And my rating are out of 5 stars ;)

Batman Begins

Love it!! Seen it a few times now on DVD and it?s great to finally have a very good film adaption of the darker Batman era. The more I watch the film, the more I like it and Warner Brothers made some good choices with getting Nolan onboard. I don?t mind Katie Holmes too much, but from what I read she's contracted to WB and so ?had? to be in the film.
    The sequel is penciled in for 2008 and hopefully Nolan will be back too. I?d love the Joker to be involved and I think Mark Hamill would be great for that role :D

The film would get 5 stars from me, but the DVD is a tad disappointing due to no commentary and I find the second disk a bit messy.

Corpse Bride

Really enjoyed this film too. Just as good as Wallace and Gromit and the style and animation are superb!! In fact I think this makes a better film then Wallace and Gromit because it has much more scope. Nice story too and very good music.

4 Stars

Harry Potter and his Gob

Looking forward to this one certainly :D
    Personally I really enjoy the films and the books. But because I?m not a die-hard fan, I don?t mind about things missing from the films.
    They have soooo much to cram into this one though so it?ll be interesting to see how it all works out, but from the trailers and what people have said, it should be pretty frantic and scary ;)
    Is John Williams doing the music this time?? I remember reading TPOA would be his last one.

15. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I second that ;)

No seriouse. I saw it yesterday and I loved (!) it.
    Even though I would say it's no comparison to Wallace and Gromit (which I liked a lot too) because the only thing these two films have in common is that they are both animatic films.
    The mood and the style of Corpse Bride is completely different.
    I had so much fun... I never realised how short 70 minutes can be. :p

And never forgett: Pulse is overrated!

;)

16. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Patrick Doyle is doing the soundtrack for Goblet of fire

You can listen to it online

17. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I think I naturally compared the two because of them both being Stop-motion animated films....a tad naughty of me though because I shouldn't really compare them ;)
    But they are very different films....for example, when I saw Wallace & Gromit, it was full of kids, but when I saw Corpse Bride, it was full of Adults only, which I think says it all.
    But they are both great for different reasons, and I know exactly what you mean about the 70 mins :D

For some reason though Barkis Bittern was my favourite character, I feel I should be concerned about this :p
    They also do some great toy figures which I saw at the weekend.

I shall resist having a listen to the HP soundtrack for now, but I'm sure it'll be good ;)

18. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    :p

I am still trying to decide what I make of Jarvis Cocker in it, especially with the song "Do the Hippogriff" I really want to know, how exactly a Hippogriff dances? :confused:

19. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    I imagine a hippogriff would dance like Tina Turner. When she dances, she seems to canter and trot around the stage with a bit of prancing and mane tossing thrown in for good measure.

And as for Fizzbin... Wohoooooo!

20. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Didn't think of that, now when I listen to it will have that mental image going on in my head :p

21. Kassy

Kassy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Anyone seen The Island?

22. Kassy

Kassy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Anyone seen The Island?

23. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Fraid not Steve, but my uncle recommends it.

I saw The Descent on DVD this weekend. Quite enjoyed it and for a horror film it did its job pretty well. Some of the characters were really annoying, but not sure if this was intended because those characters didn?t survive ;)
    I felt that one of the plot devices fell flat on its face slightly though, but I liked the open ending.
    The best thing about it was the music score. David Julyan is great and it kinda made me wish he did do Batman Begins as previously planned.
    Overall a good film and I?d give it 3.5 stars, even though I?m not really a horror film fan.

Johnathan Ross approved of Goblet on Film 2005, and the more I see the more excited I get.
    I?ve heard good things about the music score too, and I'm sure I heard that Jarvis' cameo is very brief but he has the right look and posture to fit in IMO :p

24. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    king kong.
    kicks ass.

25. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I saw the Island Kassy!

I really liked it. Well, I liked it enough to see it twice.

It was cool, good sci-fi fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.