main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    They're bland, bland, bland, very much like the current uni's for the San Diego Padres.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i haven't been following the nl very closely the past few seasons. do the astros have a midget on their team?

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    If not, they should. The Astro-midget.

edit: 18k on this account!

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    His ex-wife move to LA with the kids or what?

6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    So all the postseason awards this year have three (five for MVP) official nominations and the results are being aired live on the MLB Network each night this week. And conveniently, they've interviewed the winner just moments before each award has been announced, with none of the other nominees around. It's almost as if they know in advance. Based on that, I'm predicting Buck Showalter and Bob Melvin tie for AL Manager of the Year, since they're both on.

Edit - Also, the Blue Jays are apparently on the verge of trading for Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Emilio Bonafacio, and John Buck from the Marlins. When is Jeffrey Loria forced out of baseball?

Amazing.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I don't know. :p

AmazingB: Perhaps I'm a bit vindictive because how they handled Strasburg, but I'm a bit annoyed at seeing Johnson getting NL Manager of the Year. Weren't the Nats expected to be good? They met their expectations! :p And for the 5 diehard Marlins out there, I feel for them. What a terribly run organization.

8. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    To be fair, Strasburg wasn't Johnson's choice, that was all Mike Rizzo. And the Manager of the Year award is kind of a nebulous thing anyway. Calcaterra has a good write up about it here. And a lot of people didn't expect the Nationals to compete until next year. Remember when the Marlins were the trendy pick in the East? Yeah.

Amazing.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    If I were Giancarlo Stanton I'd be demanding a trade.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    MLB has got to get their awards out earlier. Got to.

Darth McClain likes this.
  12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Fair enough, but I would have hoped for some blow back against the organization over the Strasburg (even though Johnson is a good manager) ... and I think a better case can be made for Mike Matheny to have been the N.L. manager of the year.

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    So true. People have already lost interest.

14. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Man, the Miami community has to be up in arms this morning. They get gouged paying for that new park and then the team has another fire sale. I feel really sorry for the fans and especially the taxpayers down there.

Maybe they're trying to free up money so they can acquire A-Fraud... lol.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And no title to show for it this time.

Edit: ESPN is reporting that Torii Hunter signed a two year deal with the Tigers.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Just an insane deal for the Jays. I am happy. :)

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove12/story/_/id/8629415/miami-marlins-long-season-2013-mlb

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...enius-then-theres-marlins-owner-jeffrey-loria

Varying opinions on the Marlins latest fire sale.... I can buy a bit of the argument from Keri that Loria is an evil genius, but he's still scum for what he's done here & the damage done to Montreal baseball.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...-young-becoming-first-knuckleballer-win-award

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/story/...-award-edging-justin-verlander-detroit-tigers

I'm very, very happy to see Dickey winning the N.L. Cy Young.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It was really an almost foregone certainty once Cabrerra won the Triple Crown.

Did anybody really think Ryan Braun had any sort of shot at repeating with the sports writers after he basically got away with that failed drug test after last year's MVP win?

20. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I thought the Marlins were over-hyped this year anyway, but thought next year they would of been good. Now they just completely ruined that. They do have a nice ballpark, but will people come now?

edit: Braun? I thought he might of.

But Harper really for NL Rookie? Really?

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Trout absolutely deserved the MVP, but I wasn't exactly surprised by the results.

Amazing.

23. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    If Cabrera didn't get the triple crown, then Trout would had. But on the other hand Trout has plenty of time to get it anyway..

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Upping for some baseball talk.

Ken Rosenthal wrote this morning that the Mariners, Yankees, Rangers and Pirates had "significant interest" in signing free agent catcher Russell Martin. Please god let him resign with the Yanks or go to the Rangers. He's like Rod Barajas but younger and PNC park eats right handed batters for lunch. Save the cash and sign a real pitcher to plug into the already decent rotation and call up Tony Sanchez and let him split time with Michael McKenry. Sanchez will at least walk a few times and hit .220. Plus you save the money you would on Martin.

25. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001