main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The New Jedi Trials

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Chukles38, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Lol, Shira your poem made me chuckle. It has nice right to it!

I have yet to play KOTOR *ducks while objects get thrown at her*

I'm sourcing the game for xbox though! I Have no desire to play it on my Mac.

2. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    I have both of them for the original X-Box.

3. Pete_Seyk

Pete_Seyk Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2004
    I've played it on XBox and I'm near the end of a play through on my Mac (downloaded it off the App Store). I think the computers controles are better than the XBox, IMO. The mouse makes it easier to give commands rapidly and makes the menu system easier to use.

The game also has a lot of loading screens and the PC/Mac version loads much quicker.

Just sharing my thoughts.

4. ARC170pilot

ARC170pilot Jedi Master star 5

Sep 23, 2005
    *Throws a random series of objects in the Grandmaster's direction*

5. Shira_Adola

Shira_Adola Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I wonder what happens when you injure the Grandmaster...

6. ARC170pilot

Sep 23, 2005
    Normaly her bodyguard would deal with the attacker, but as that's me, it wouldn't work too well in this case. :p

7. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010

Yeah, but you can always pause in game combat if you really need to, and I didn't find it all that hard. I guess it depends on which controller you use though. The load times for mine wasn't so bad either.

8. ARC170pilot

Sep 23, 2005
    I think it's just down to personal preferance really. I've played both games on the Xbox, and the 2nd on the PC. I didn't have any trouble with either, but I think the two main points for me were that I prefer the Xbox controles, probably because I spend pretty much all my life on my Xbox. On the other hand, the PC is great for mods, which really add to the game. If you don't hate playing PC games, I suggest getting it for your computer. :)

9. Shira_Adola

Feb 15, 2011
    Wouldn't that be seen as traitorism? I think you might get kicked out for that...

10. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Hmm interesting that you played KOTOR on your Mac. I've not played any games on it yet and I'm new to it so I wasn't sure how good it is for games. But you give it a great review! I'm seriously considering it as getting for a reasonable price on xbox is turning out to be difficult.

I just hope I have enough room on my hard drive as I'm in the middle of downloading WoW for the first time and it's taking ages.

I'm also still working on Portal 2. But after I finish it I'm gonna do KOTOR. I miss the good ol' days when I used to play my Star Wars PC Games like Star Wars: Jedi Knights and Star Wars: Sith Revenge.

11. ARC170pilot

Sep 23, 2005
    Nah. Ree knows I'd never do her any real damage. [face_love]

12. Pete_Seyk

Oct 2, 2004
    Yeah, it was $15 in the App Store, which is kinda steep but it's one of my favorite game ever.

Just finished a DS playthrough last night. Didn't go fully dark though, ended up about half way in the red.

13. Jedi_Corin_Daan

Jedi_Corin_Daan Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2010
    You...you what?!... *gasps, staggers, clutches heart*

Haha, just kidding. I haven't tried playing them on xBox, but I've played the first KotOR on my PC multiple times. It never gets old. KotOR 2 I've only done maybe 1 1/2 times, cause I can't play it on my laptop due to video card issues. I think that one was the best visually and interactively, but the story line in KotOR 1 was better cause they actually finished it.

14. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    What's better, KOTOR 1 or 2?

15. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    I agree with Jedi_Coran on the matter. KOTOR I has the better story by far. KOTOR II looks nice and the interaction is a bit better, and you can train members of your party to be Jedi, but the fact the game is unfinished gives it a disadvantage. So overall I would say KOTOR I > KOTOR II. Being able to train your crew to be Jedi is fun though. :D :p

16. Jedi_Corin_Daan

Nov 6, 2010
    Yes. KotOR 2 had some definite improvements, even little things like being able to craft your own upgrades for lightsabers, blasters, and armor. And I definitely liked the influence factor with the other characters. But by the time you get to the final stages of the game, you can tell there are elements of the story missing. They just got dropped in an effort to push out the final product, and the game suffered for it.

But KotOR 1 has some really great stuff in it. Although you can't influence the other characters as much in terms of lightside/darkside, you can explore several relationships with the other characters and get some cool side quests. There aren't as many upgrades or force powers available as in KotOR 2, but there are still a wide range of powers and lightsaber crystals that you can use. There is a really cool trick that you can use to actually get more force powers. The first level that you play is on Taris, and you don't become a Jedi until you reach Dantooine in the second level. You can level your character up at any point, but if you wait until you get to Dantooine and become a Jedi to level up past 3 or 4, you will have all of your force powers available to level up as well. This is really helpful since there is a level 20 cap on all of the characters (they did fix that in KotOR 2 which was a great call).

17. ARC170pilot

Sep 23, 2005
    I agree completely, KotOR 2 had great potential, but at times it is very clear you are playing an unfinished game. Adding to what JM and JCD said, I'd say KotOR 1 is better for people less familiar with the KotOR era, it's definately better for beginners. Whilst it doesn't have some of the cool stuff the 2nd game has, this just makes it simpler and in my opinion, more enjoyable.

18. Shira_Adola

Feb 15, 2011
    *shakes head despondantly* I wish I had time to play

19. Jedi_Corin_Daan

Nov 6, 2010
    Haha, I heard that! I haven't had time to play either one in ages... =/

I concur with ARC; KotOR is the starting place for any Old Republic EU. Revan plays such a huge part that without knowing the story behind the game, a lot of what happens in KotOR 2, the comics, and even the new Old Republic MMO will leave you scratching your head and saying "Huh?" Fortunately they are publishing a book on Revan soon, which is awesome 'cause KotOR 2 leaves a lot of unanswered questions about his actions after the first game, and this should answer a lot of them.

20. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Yea, I figured tht out too. It also works with KOTOR II when training your crew members. Don't level anyone up except the droids, Kreia, and Visas(also Mandalore[Hanhaar as well for Darkside story) until they become Jedi, then you have stronger Jedi party members.

Yeah, it is annoying in KOTOR II when you start conversations like the one about tracking the HK-50s and the ones with Bao-Dur and the Handmaiden when they say they feel calmer and at peace, then when you ask why they say ask about it later, but later never comes.

21. Jedi_Corin_Daan

Nov 6, 2010
    Yes! Ugh, that was so annoying! I thought it was just me the first time I played it, cause some of the conversations are based on how far you have progressed in the game. Like to train Bao-Dur as a Jedi you have to have a specific conversation with him late in the game, and if you miss it you can't train him. So at first I thought it was something like that. And then the whole thing with the droids at the end of the level never made sense to me. I thought, "If you're not going to explain this or finish it, why include it in the game?!"

22. Pete_Seyk

Oct 2, 2004
    Team Gizka (I think that was the name), released a mod that restored a lot of the content. If you have the PC version, I'd recommend checking it out. I'm playing through it now, and though the main elements of the game are still there the extras are a really nice bonus.

23. Jedi_Corin_Daan

Nov 6, 2010
    Yeah, I'd seen they were doing that. I haven't had a chance to try it yet tho. You'll have to let me know how it turns out.

24. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    A very comprehensive answer to my question :p Thanks! Obviously this game brings out everyone's passion for Star Wars.

Announcement:

Hi everyone, those of you who don't have access to our Facebook page, there is some news about the JCF move. It will most likely happen this coming December-January.

Get all the information and have your input/feedback heard here:

LINK!

25. ARC170pilot

Sep 23, 2005
    Huh. I thought that was just an April Fools joke that the admins forgot about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.