main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The OC Challenge (Fan Fic/Fan Art Joint Project) - Artist Sign-ups ongoing!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    First of all, I would like to thank Commander-DWH for the wonderful idea and collaborating with me on this project. Your hard work is much appreciated! [:D]

In response to building a better relationship between Fan Fiction and Fan Art, I am proud to announce our first collaborative activity, [b]The OC Challenge[/b]! Just as the name suggests, the idea of this challenge is for artists to team up with fan fic writers to bring to life either an original character from a story or create a story for an original character an artist may have created. For more information on OCs in the fan fiction universe, please see [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/25562370/p1/?2131]this[/link] thread over in Fan Fiction Resource.

[b][color=purple]How will this work?[/b][/color]

It's quite simple. This challenge thread will operate very similar to the Dare Challenges over in fan fic. There will be a sign-up list for interested parties located for artists in this thread and another for authors in their designated thread over in fan fic. At the end of the sign-up period you will be randomly paired with an author and your match will be sent to you via PM. Here's where the creative process begins! It's now up to you and your match to swap ideas and create a piece of artwork or a story based on the original characters you have to work with.

Here is the sign-up list for those who are interested(please add more numbers if you run out):

If you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to ask! :)

Last day to sign up will be [b]Monday, April 20th[/b].

2. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    You can sign me up ^__^

I don't think I can keep up with checking that thread, is there an option to recieve requests via pm ?

And my preference to draw is pretty males ;)

3. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Whoaaa! Don't worry about keeping up with that thread! Between the two of us running it, we can barely handle it. :p
    I will be keeping a running tab of author & artist participants in the thread's first post (just scroll down a bit).

The general idea is once we have enough suckers, er... participants on either side we will pair the folks up randomly. Most of the authors who write Original Characters have a multitude of personaes to "draw" upon...

Once we pair folks up you'll be able to correspond via PM. At which point it will be up to the pairs to work out which character the writer would like to use, and at the same tolken if the artist has any "unnamed" renditions they would like the author to write a fic about. Think of it as almost a comic book partnership. ;)

So that's one...

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    2.Earlybird-Obi-Wan

I can do both, writing and painting/drawing

5. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    ^ thank goodness I don't have to watch that ! :p
    I did look tho, and I was so happy my favourite writer on the boards signed up... so I sent them a pm.
    I hope it is ok. Her works are my favourite and so inspiring to me, I would love to draw for her fictions.
    well, I am willing to draw for anyone as long as it inspires ^__^

I hope that doesn't cause any trouble, but I am thinking if it has to be paired we should choose pairs. It is better to make friends that way ^__^

6. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Actually, the whole point in the sign-ups & challenge is to be randomly paired with someone and making their character come to life (which is the reall challenging part).

If the person you PMed agreed to pair up with you, there's nothing I can do about that. However, I would like it if you both could be open to still being randomly paired with an additional participant (in addition to each other); otherwise you may want to participate amongst yourselves.

Also, if anyone thinks themselves capable of both the artists' & authors' share of the challenge, feel free to sign up! (P.S. I know some of you can!)

7. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Well, I'm guilty as charged on that one. :p I'll be most happy to throw my lot in with this side of the challenge, too. :D

1. Kiyuuchan
    2. Earlybird-Obi-Wan
    3. DWH

8. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm usually over on the writing side of the house, but I'll try the drawing aspect of this. I enjoy sketching and am trying to improve.

1. Kiyuuchan
    2. Earlybird-Obi-Wan
    3. DWH
    4. Thumper09

9. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Giving this thread a *bump*

Any other takers? It'll be fantastic fun, I promise. :D

10. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Is this still on? Both threads seem dead, which is why I'm asking. I saw this in the fanfic thread and got interested, but it seems like it's been a little bit abandoned, unless I'm missing some separate thread somewhere...?

Anyway, I know the deadline's passed, but so has interest, it seems. So adding my name in late should make little difference, yes?

1. Kiyuuchan
    2. Earlybird-Obi-Wan
    3. DWH
    4. Thumper09
    5. 1Yodimus Prime

Boom. Just like that.
    I won't hold my breath, of course, but there it is.

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for signing up, Yodimus! It's a little late, but we're still looking for more artists.

With that said, come on, folks! There's still plenty of spots open! Let's step up to the challenge and make this thing successful! :)

12. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Well, I'm not technically part of the OC challenge, but I have recently teamed up with the wonderful Jinngerbread to draw an OC from her story. :)

- Serena

13. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Alright folks, this is where we stand right now. This is the latest list of sign ups for both threads, and as you can see, the authors out number the artists almost 2-1, and keep in mind Earlybird and DWH have offered up to play double duty.

Unfortunately if we don't get a couple of more artists to sign up, the challenge will have in effect stalled.

Current sign-ups are as follows:

Authors:
    1. SoA
    2. Jinngerbread
    3. DWH*
    4. Earlybird-Obi-Wan*
    5. moosemousse
    6. Rau_Fang
    7. Ceillean
    8. VaderLVR64
    9. DarthXan318

Artists:
    1. Kiyuuchan
    2. Earlybird-Obi-Wan*
    3. DWH*
    4. Thumper09
    5. 1Yodimus Prime

Anymore takers? [face_whistling]

14. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I can do double duty.

Artists:
    1. Kiyuuchan
    2. Earlybird-Obi-Wan*
    3. DWH*
    4. Thumper09
    5. 1Yodimus Prime
    6. SoA*

15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I already work together with somebody who is writting a fanfic and until the 4th June I will undergo a rather stressful time, that is crucial for my job future here in the Netherlands, possible future chances for my existance as a teacher in Germany as well and the financial existance of me & my husband.

If I can still sign in after that the 4th June, dear Han, I would be very happy.

I wish I could sign in now, but the reason why I paint so much at present is to redue the high stress level and to balacance me.

Three fellow teacher students left the European Program completly and two lost their jobs recently. The other four do not feel that great either and I am unhappy about the intrigues of university.

Otherwise, believe me, I would love to, dear Han.

16. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Well, we never really put a deadline on this. So whichever author you got paired with, should you decide to sign up, would be in communication with you, and you could say, "Hey, this sounds super awesome, but you'll have to wait a while." I know I'd be willing to wait, and I'm sure the other authors would, too. Believe me, I know all about crazy stress levels- my life isn't calming down until mid-late June, and the last thing I'm interested is sending anyone's stress levels skyrocketing. :p

Those are my two cents, anyway. Take them for what they're worth and make whatever decision is best for you. :)

17. TheBride

TheBride Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2008
    (AzureAngel2 around as her up-date sock at present)

Okay, then count me in. Perhaps I need a little bit of distraction after all.

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Yes, that would be fine, Azure. I agree with DWH on the issue. Since we're low on participants on the artist end, we never really set a deadline. You're more than welcomed to jump in at a later date and put something together.

Let us know how everything pans out. :)

19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    After the 4th July I will be available because then the struggle with a certain Dutch university might be successfully over and I will have gained what I worked so hard for 2 years in the Netherlands.

It is very possible that I go back to Germany and return to the kindergarden sector... to preserve my poor nerves from moody teens and a hard, low-paid job.

I want more private life again and more happiness... plus time for fanart & fanfic...

Yep, Han, count me in.

20. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    If we're still short on artists, I can try to work with two authors as long as they don't mind if it would take me a bit longer.

21. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Thanks Thumper!!!!! Very noble of you!

As DWH stated, there is no deadline, and it's up to you and the author you are paired with to work at your own pace. We really could use at least one more artist (or two to aleve Thumper if we can) of anyone's even remotely interested.

[face_praying] Look! I'm begging, and Ale begs to no one... No one!

Personally the sooner we can get at least the pairings done the better.

Here's how he artists' sign-ups stand at the moment:

Artists:
    1. Kiyuuchan
    2. Earlybird-Obi-Wan*
    3. DWH*
    4. Thumper09
    5. 1Yodimus Prime
    6. SoA*
    7. AzureAngel
    8. Thumper09

Don't be shy!

22. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Also, if it comes down to it, I'd be willing to drop my name from the fanficcing side if no other artists show up. That would even out the numbers. Though ideally, we can find one more noble artist to fill the last slot.

Anyone? Aaaaaaanyone?

Bueller?

:p

23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    After the 11th June you can count on me...

[:D]

24. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    The pairings are set and some of the notification PMs have been sent out, the rest will go out ASAP. (having what seems to be browser issues concerning PMs).

No worries angel, there is no time table, so it's just a matter of you and your match working out when you want to start. ;)

25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    *can´t wait to find out how that will be*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.