main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Banner Help Thread - Style Sheet Needed!

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Grimby , Jul 23, 2009.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    This will be the official thread to get help with banners you are working on or to recruit someone to create a style sheet to go with your graphics before submitting them.

Banner Makers:
    • Post your works in progress for feedback or to get help on something you're stuck on

• Post your finished banner artwork and put the word out that you need a style sheet made

Style Sheet makers:
    • Check this thread often for artists seeking your services

Everyone else:
    • Offer your feedback, advice, and/or (constructive) criticism

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    So what does everyone think of the current banner in here? Any comments would be appreciated. :)

3. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I love it, it's absolutely awesome! :)

4. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Thanks! The things I wasn't really sure about were whether the LACWAC banner in the background was too pronounced. I might try a level adjustment to make the blacks a bit lighter. Also, I noticed just now that the VersionText color should be changed from black to white, and my background image is the wrong color at the bottom, meaning that it doesn't blend into the background color on the bottom. You can see this on the post confirmation page, as the background image extends down into the footer of the page.

Edit: I think I've got the VersionText and background image corrected.

5. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I definitely like it. Very nice job, Grimby.:D

6. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I made some adjustments to the style sheet, as I didn't really like the link colors for the normal and visited states. I also realized that the ad holders weren't showing up, so I fixed the glitch. :p

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It looks really good! :)

8. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    So a few of you have suggested we run a contest for the style sheet makers among us. At the moment, I have two banners that desperately need a good style sheet. One was uploaded to the system without a style, and the other is a banner that has not yet been uploaded. If we ran a contest, who would be interested in participating?

9. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm always game for a stylesheet/banner contest. I'm in. :)

10. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Incidentally, I really like the banner here. I especially like the Poofism. :D

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Now that finals are done with me for this term ... I'm definitely in for any sort of style sheet contest. As you no doubt already know Grimby. :D

By the way. I noticed that the main & background images on the banner in this forum are wider than the typical size. Is this something that you're thinking of implementing as standard, Grimby? Or just an option banner-makers have when creating them to accommodate for widescreens?

12. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Thanks Xan! I was having trouble coming up with something for the Poofism, and the lack of creativity was starting to get to me. In frustration, I just started typing "Yarael Poof" over and over again, and that's when I got the idea. :p

I've actually made some changes to the size limitations recently, which you can read about in the banner tutorial thread. Since most people these days have at least a 1024x768 screen resolution, I felt it was OK to extend the width of the main banner image to up to 950px. I would encourage all banner makers to take a look at the new standards, and check out the advanced banner graphics thread for an explanation on how a banner like our current one is made.

13. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I've been working on a banner, and I've just looked at it and realised the title is currently partly on the background image as well.
    Can I get away with this, or do I need to move all the text onto the main part of the banner?

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    How wide are the main and background images?

15. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    They're both 764x110

16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    You are allowed to make your main image up to 950px wide if you wish, which means you should probably be able to fit the title on the main image. Keep in mind though that if you change the width of the main image, your background image must be exactly the same width or a multiple. For example, if you changed your main image to 820px wide, your background image needs to be something like 820px, 410px, 205px, etc.

17. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    I think I'll just alter the lettering a bit, but thanks for the help, Grimby.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    What forum is the banner for, helinth? Can we help in any other way such as with stylesheets or critique? :)

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    OK everyone, here is a new LACWAC banner made by Gry Sarth that needs a style sheet. Check it out!

FYI, the body background should be #CCCCCC and the left background should be black.

20. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Is this happening just to me? The top banner isn't displaying its full height. I made it taller than the standard 110px, like the current LACWAC banner, but of the 125px in height it seems to be displaying only 110px.

As for anyone willing to work on the style sheet, besides the guidelines Grimby stated, I think it should be overall a darker pallette, with tones of gray and even black, and dark reds here and there.

21. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Gry, that is the exact size of the image you sent me. Perhaps it's possible you cropped the main and back images to that size?

22. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    D'oh! Yeah, I didn't notice that the old slices were still active when I saved for web. Anyway, here are the full height top banners:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F2HTOWLG

23. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Ok, I went ahead and tried my hand at my first style sheet for the LACWAC banner.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DIBZOYYY

I'm sure there must be some color clashes somewhere, since I can't really see how everything comes together from the test page. If someone could go over this correcting any mistakes and adjusting anything that doesn't look quite right, I'd much appreciate it.

24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
  25. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    That's beautiful. Certainly much better than mine! The only detail I'm not too sure about is the Username colour. It doesn't seem to fit the pallette. Maybe make it light gray, dark red or some sort of "Cad Bane blue"? Also, what do you think about making the post area #CCCCCC to brighten up the whole thing a bit?

PS: Sorry, just one more thing. I'd rather the unvisited thread links in the main board page were not underlined.