main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD The OFFICIAL Comments, Complaints, and Suggestions Thread-(*Currently Discussing: Holiday Season*)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rox , May 31, 2002.

1. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    And also for the record: I am NOT talking about this ANY FURTHER. Next person to PM about this is not gonna be happy.

Anyhow, great ideas.

2. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Jabachile-

I think in the interest of maintaining order we should let the mods start the new *Official* threads. That is, of course, unless they persoanlly give us the go-ahead.

Speaking of which . .

Britany, can you (or someone else) officially put to rest the question of who IS and who is NOT the moderator around the Fan Art board? I think it would clear up a few things.

Thanks in advance. :D

-Otis

3. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    from otis:
    Moving on . .

Amen to that. I think we've hammered all of that crap into the ground. How about we leave it at: the Forum is picking up, changes are happening, we are all contributing to make it a better place where we feel comfortable hanging out.

Great thread ideas Otis! I can't wait to see these started. Hey, can we have the *Official* Baroness' Boring Storytime Hour thread???? Oh, just kidding! Just kidding! I bore you guys enough already, I suppose I don't need a whole dedicated thread to do it! [face_laugh]

Oh, and re: the weekly challenge. Thanks all for the votes of confidence. You all make me blush! So, I guess I'm happily "running" the thing, but don't be surprised if I start bugging everyone for help, and share the wealth!

~Baroness

4. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Please...let's just move on and forget I ever did anything to help out. I don't want to think about it anymore.

Anyway, it's better for the mods to start the official threads unless, like said, they give us a go ahead.

I think some style How-To/style threads would be very useful, especially style threads.

5. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    FYI.. A long time ago the fan art forum /did/ have its own mod. 'Twas I.

I left because:

a) I was going back to school
    b) I was burning out a little
    c) I was apoiler shy and people were posting AOTC things /without/ spoiler warnings all the damn time which partially led back to b)
    d) Other miscellaneous stuff.

That said, I don't think we necessarily need a dedicated mod and we /certainly/ don't need a mod to guide or start everything. All the place needs is a mod with an open mind and an open eye to spot rule infractions. It would be nice to have someone with an artistic background, though.

I like the ideas of weekly challenges, but for the featured artist thing, I'm wary if said artist is chosen by anything other than a random pick as they tend to read as populatity contests. Just ask anyone who was always picked last for baseball or whatever, whether the intention to snub is there or not, sometimes it does feel that way.

Also, if we drop some names in a hat, we nmight be able to pull people back who haven't posted or have felt burnt out. Like me, and there are some other artists who I haven't seen in a dog's age.

I love the weekly challenge, I have a couple of ideas sketched out already, I just need to finish them. Or get them somewhat finished.

When I was mod, I had an 'Other art we do' type of thread going, where we could post links to elfwood galleries, web pages etc. that have little or nothing to do with SW, we're not all one trick ponies :D

The one thing I am against really are competitions and popularity contests, unless it's something like a christmas competition etc, something that comes in once in a blue moon and everyone gets to show their art anyway.

Just my 2 cents

*runs off to draw some non SW art*

6. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    ArtyEwok-

Good post, and welcome back. It's been a dog's age (whatever the heck THAT means).

-Otis

7. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Dog's age? :)

Welcome back! I don't like competitions, but an occasional one might be nice, I dunno. As for mod, this will be my LAST comment about it :) , Rox is our mod, let's leave it at that.

That thread you talked about might be a nice idea too.

8. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Heya ArtyEwok!

Baroness scribbles furiosly down on her little pad of paper.... Holiday-themed Weekly Challenges..... cool....

9. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    (OT)

'in A Dog's Age' is some slang I picked up in Australia that means 'in a very long time' ie: 'It's been a dog's age since I've drawn jar Jar' translates to 'It's been a very long time since I've drawn jaR JAR'

Other slang that might pop out from me includes:

Bob's yer uncle = there you go. ie: You apply the guassian blur, and Bob's yer uncle

( end OT) :)

10. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey ArtyEwok, since you're explaining things, I have been endlessly baffled by the meaning of this:

LTNS: I'm Back!

LTNS? Huh? It's probably really obvious, and I'm gonna feel really dumb.

~Baroness, dough-head.

11. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    L.ong T.ime N.o S.ee? That's what I was thinking. ;)

12. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    [face_blush]

HEY! I have a SUGGESTION! :D

So, we've tossed around the idea of each artist sort of having their own thread that they continue to update, like Cheveyo's portfolio, or how Mojomoe keeps using the same thread... anyway, my idea is really stolen from Fan Fiction land. Is there a way to be able to update in the Subject area, so any time you post a new sketch or something, people know? Like say in my thread it would be something like:

The Baroness' Big Fat Fanfic Illustrations - new sketches 6/2

That way people would know that there is something new in there, in case they don't want to check a thread everytime someone posts to it, you know, like they do over in Fanfic.... and since I'm being greedy with editing requests, it would be nice to have eternal editing abilities, just in case one of your links change, or something like that. That way if it is still in a somewhat active thread, you can go in and update them.

Whatya think?
    ~Baroness

13. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
  14. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Large, Tame Norwegian Seals. ;)

Actually, Long Time No See was right :D

I'll try to be 1355 g33ky next time ;)

Amy - ph34r |\/|Y L337 sk1ll2 ;)

15. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    ArtyEwok-

I actually HAVE and Uncle Bob that I haven't seen in a Dog's Age.

OK. I've gotten the go ahead. I'm starting those new threads.

-Otis

16. Britany

Britany TFN Staff star 1 VIP

Nov 13, 2000

I don't think it matter who starts the threads, does it ?[face_plain]. I say start them, which I now see you have :D.

17. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Just got the go-ahead from Rox, but it's good to know that we're all on the same page.

Thanks.

-Otis

18. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Nice topics, Otis. Those should be helpful.

19. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Had to work last night, let me get caught up.

Quite frankly, Rox hasn't posted here in months until this week

I don't know what you are talking about, check my posts. I've always been around. And like Otis said this place wass dead.

The official threads are great ideas. I already told Otis so. If guys want me to post a thread just so someone with colors puts it up just PM me and I'd be glad to do it.

I asked aoubt the random banner thing and it can't work with this board system. But to further touch on the idea to get up a new banner. I'm going to be starting a new thread about this but i'll explain it here so I can get your feedback first. How's this if you want to enter an entry we can set a deadline to have them in, then since everyone is against having a contest the other Mod's and myself will pick the one that we like the best and then get it up. If that doesn't work for you then ho about we get all the entries up and have the whole JC pick the coolest one.

20. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I quote ArtyEwok to express my feelings about the banner thing.

<<The one thing I am against really are competitions and popularity contests, unless it's something like a christmas competition etc, something that comes in once in a blue moon and everyone gets to show their art anyway.>>

21. Britany

Britany TFN Staff star 1 VIP

Nov 13, 2000

The banner has to be picked in some way, whether it be by the Mods or the whole of the JC.

22. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Exactly, any way you put it there's going to be "contest". But I would really like to replace the one up there right now.

23. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Britany: Could you respond to my PM, not to rush or anything, but I sent a few.

And do we need a banner? I think it might cause a few problems if only one was chosen out of all of us. I know I wouldn't like it, for sake of being left out, and for previously stated reasons revolving around my other banner.

But I want to know what others think.

24. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    If everyone feels the same way A32 then I'll just end up doing it if it will casue to many problems. I'm offering it to everyone. And yes I do think we need a new banner, something to show that this is the FanArt forum. You would think that a group of artist's should have a custom banner.

25. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Or here's an idea: have everyone collaborate on it, then it would be everyone's creation and we wouldn't have to worry about someone feeling left out.