main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The **Official** Fate of Padme Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ObiMcD, Aug 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes, welcome worst jedi, it's nice to have new blood around here :)

OTOH, I respectfully disagree that it's completely out of character. He does eventually kill Obi-Wan, who arguably played just as big a role in Ani's life as Padme. And he does, either directly or by proxy, hunt down and murder ALL the Jedi, ushering in an era of terror and tyranny. And I think that Ani being responsible for Padme's death plays up the "tragic hero" angle, a la Othello.

Yes, he does murder countless people (although mostly by proxy, but that's another debate) and Obi-Wan, but it is still different than killing Padme. Firstly, he killed Obi-Wan 20 years after their relationship fell apart. If he had done it in Episode III, then I would see it along the same lines as Padme. We shall see whether or not he's *really* trying to kill him in the Duel. But regardless, he's not Padme. She represents the simple notion of love in his life- the major thing we (as normal, average people) can relate to. She is alternately his salvation and his damnation. She has been used as nothing but his "angel", his main tie to the Light. Yes, killing her would be the ultimate act of betrayal, but I don't think this is that kind of story. Yes, it would make him more like Othello, but killing your wife isn't a requirement of being a Tragic Hero. He will kill many others, even those he respects, but something has to push him over the edge. We know how he feels about duty and loyalty. He sacrifies them both for Padme. He has been shown to be loyal to her and her alone (with the exception of his mother). The only logical reason I can see is that Padme's death (at Sidious' order) pushes him over the edge once and for all. It kills three birds with one stone- 1. getting rid of Amidala 2. turning Ani dark 3. blaming everything on the Jedi.

I don't know about that. If Anakin did kill his wife, I doubt he'd do it in a moment of clarity; he'd do it in a moment of weakness, of anger, of fear.

I have no problem with him killing Padme. None at all. It would, as Worst Jedi Ever has argued, help sell that Vader is a villain, and not just some moody, depressed twit or an overly sensitive individual.

But how does Anakin killing Padme "in a moment of weakness" not depict him as a "moody" and "depressed"? I see a contradiction there. Unless he knows and understands completely what he's doing then he is in fact, being overly sensitive, naive and suseptible to manipulation. Whether you agree with Anakin killing her or not, it seems obvious that he would do it as a result of Palpatine's constant manipulation. What greater weakness is there than that? Vader isn't a strong villain, he's a tragic hero. From everything we've heard, by the time Episode III is over I doubt we'll have any trouble at all buying Vader as a "villain", without killing Padme.

2. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Firstly, he killed Obi-Wan 20 years after their relationship fell apart. If he had done it in Episode III, then I would see it along the same lines as Padme. We shall see whether or not he's *really* trying to kill him in the Duel.

What else would he be trying to do in the Duel?

But how does Anakin killing Padme "in a moment of weakness" not depict him as a "moody" and "depressed"? I see a contradiction there.

I'm saying his moment of weakness lasts for over 20 years. And, if you read my post again, you'll see that I'm not denying that he isn't "moody" and "depressed"; he is both those things but he is, as well, a villain. Killing Padme would certainly prove that.

3. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    What else would he be trying to do in the Duel?

Well I am of the belief that there is some hesitation in the minds of both Anakin and Obi-Wan. I think there will be some glimmer of doubt in Anakin's mind. Maybe he could be turned back. Obi-Wan senses this. They're going to fight all out and do what needs to be done, but I don't believe that Anakin is solely trying to kill him. IMO Obi-Wan's main goal is to try and save Anakin from the Dark Side, and Anakin's goal is to finally show his father-figure how powerful he has become, that he is no longer the weak Padawan, and that he doesn't "need" Obi-Wan anymore. I think that's what is important here. Even if he comes after Obi-Wan because he believed he killed Padme or something I still think this underlying psychology plays a bigger role than just blind vengence. Although he will look like he's convinced himself that he can kill Obi-Wan.

4. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Something else...

From the ROTJ novelization:

Vader: And this memory brought a wave of other memories with it. Memories of brotherhood, and home. His dear wife. The freedom of deep space. Obi-Wan.

Yes, yes I know better than to use the novels as concrete evidence... and I'm not. But at one time or another Lucas thought this way about Vader and his wife (even if he hadn't thought up her whole story just yet). Just something to think about.

5. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I don't think taht Anakin could kill Padme. She, more so than the force,is his source of power and enablement. padme was the only one that Anakin could confess to after slaughtering the Tuskens. She is the only one he could show off his jedi tricks to, and not get lectured to. She is the one that gives him the loophole, to go and save Obi, and go against the JC mandate.

She is the one that gives him hope.

6. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    As anti Anakin/Padme as I am I have to agree. I just don't see Anakin killing Padme. He showed a lot of anger in AOTC but he never directed it towards Padme. He love her and I just don't see him hurting her. She is his "light" in a universe that is crashing down around him.

~ Crystal ~

7. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    I think what the last two posts say about the importance of Padme in Ani's life is spot-on. Of course, to me, this is even more reason to have him kill her--it's a way to show, in one brutal, horrifying act, the moment at which "the good man that was [Luke's] father was destroyed" (as OB1 said in ROTJ). I think it gives his story the "punch" it needs.

I absolutely concede that this scenario is unlikely to actually be in the film, but again I think it's a good point of discussion and I'm glad that some of you were interested enough to discuss it further.

8. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Worst_Jedi_Ever these boards are meant for intelligent discussions, welcome aboard.

I think one of the biggest questions is if she dies where does it happen chronologically speaking? Here are several ideas and themes I have scene on other threads on this page, as well as the aotc page:

~The most obvious is of Leia's quote about her mother, "feelings, images really of her real mother, that she was very beautiful, kind, but sad" - how old was she to have these images, and are these images there due to her strength in the force.

~One of the more unique speculations is that the charm Anakin gave to Padme in tpm, will come back, and be used to trick Anakin that she is dead.

~Slightly off topic, but still relevant, does Anakin know she has a child(ren), was pregnant; before he fell.

~Does her closure mean that we must see closure on screen, or do we assume that she died of a broken heart?

~Why is the name Anakin dead to him? Is it b/c those that mattered most to Anakin, his wife and mother are both dead?

~It has also ben speculated that when Vader tells Luke "Obi-Wan was wise for hiding her from me" does not neccessairly refer to Leia, but could be Padme.

Contemplate on this, I will.

9. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    ~The most obvious is of Leia's quote about her mother, "feelings, images really of her real mother, that she was very beautiful, kind, but sad" - how old was she to have these images, and are these images there due to her strength in the force.

It may be due to pictures, holograms or other things. I do tend to believe that the force plays a large role as well.

~One of the more unique speculations is that the charm Anakin gave to Padme in tpm, will come back, and be used to trick Anakin that she is dead.

Anakin is not one to let go easily- I believe she will HAVE to be dead before he stops hunting her. There must be a body. Someone as powerful as Anakin, might be able to sense her.

~Slightly off topic, but still relevant, does Anakin know she has a child(ren), was pregnant; before he fell.
    A tricky question, to be sure. It was always implied that Anakin new NOTHING of the births....Yet his obsession in finding Anakin in ESB points that he suspected Luke was his son. Thus he must have known that Padme was pregnant at one time....but not know that she was carrying twins.

~Does her closure mean that we must see closure on screen, or do we assume that she died of a broken heart?
    Lucas will have closure...I think Padme is much to large of character to have die off screen...or her fate will be sealed.

~Why is the name Anakin dead to him? Is it b/c those that mattered most to Anakin, his wife and mother are both dead?

Yes, but also everything Anakin was striving for- being the best jedi ever-freeing oppressed people...was destroyed when he fell to the darkside.

~It has also ben speculated that when Vader tells Luke "Obi-Wan was wise for hiding her from me" does not neccessairly refer to Leia, but could be Padme.

No, because the line before Vader clearly states "You have a sister....." That seems to tell me that Vader mighthave known Padme was pregnant...but not know there were "twins" or that Liea was one of them.

10. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    I agree with you RebelScum77 .
    I can't see Anakin killing Padme no matter how dark the film will be. But what if it's an accident? I don't really see it happening but maybe he will make a decision that will end up detrimental to her or something.
    Vader loathes himself. Why? Is it because he thinks he's responsible for her death? We all know Anakin's tendency for blaming the others and then blaming himself in the end. Like with his mother.
    Just my poor speculation of course. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.