main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Rebirth discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed from Conq and Reb)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Apr 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Well, now that Conquest is out (or near enough), we can started guessing wildly about what's coming up in the next NJO entry. It's four months away :)

Anyway, to start the ball rolling I'll repost the cover blurb:
    Decades ago, the Jedi protected the Galactic Republic; now, in the darkness of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, the Jedi have no protection from the slaughter of their ranks. Abandoned by the New Republic Senate, Luke Skywalker's Jedi order stands defiant against the deadly alien menace. They are not entirely alone, however, as Han and Leia Organa Solo risk deadly consequences to bolster the Jedi resistance.

Meanwhile, Anakin Solo and Tahiri have uncovered new Yuuzhan Vong secrets. The two young Jedi are wanted for murder by the forces of the Peace Brigade. To escape, they flee into hyperspace - and into far greater peril...

Edge of Victory II: Rebirth by Greg Keyes is scheduled for paperback release on August 1, 2001.

2. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    And yes, Skycrawler is apparently born in this one.

3. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I assume Rebirth will be like Jedi Eclipse, as Conquest was to Hero's Trial. HT and Conquest centering on one character, and JE and Rebirth expanding a bit, in preperation of the hardcover.

I hope to see Corran and some more mains again.

4. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    No, it's due out on July 31, cause August 1 is a Wednesday.

5. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    It will apparently center on Luke and Mara as they worry about the kid, have a major plotline with Anakin and Tahiri, and also have a plotline with Han and Leia.

My guess is that Corran won't play a major role...

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    My guess is also that one meaning of Rebirth is that the Jedi Order will be reborn somewhere between Luke and Kyp's factions, but they will stand united and not fall divided. This is based on Anakin's revelations in Conquest.

7. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    I think borek just push Luke over the edge and now luke is ready to fight.

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I wonder if Corran will be in this one too. I doubt that he would briefly appear in one book and disapear again.

9. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Thats what I'm thinking. . .

10. Mad Jedi Master

Mad Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2000
    I heard August 7th was the release date...

So what was this secret mission Han and Leia were on throughout Conquest? Maybe negotiating with the Chiss? Second honeymoon?

Will the Skycrawler be born with a third eye or an ooglith masquer?

11. Amused knight

Amused knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2000
    the vong may also find a way to use the ysalamiri to their advantage, based on the fact that their master shaper was on the way to do just that.

12. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    It's pathetic how Jedi are portrayed as helpless with ysalimiri around. Are they so wimpy they are dependent on the Force for everything?

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Head on over to http://www.starwars.com

There's an interview with Greg Keyes there, with lots of hints as to what Rebirth will be about.

14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Some quotes and commentary speculation from the Keyes interview:

ANAKIN AND TAHIRI:
    "They're very close, and their personalities are complimentary, but ultimately there is a mystical connection. Ikrit, a Jedi Master, prophesized that they would be far stronger together than the sum of their parts....Tahiri is fourteen when Conquest opens, and Anakin sixteen, and they've been friends since they were respectively nine and eleven. This is the time in their lives when Anakin is noticing, 'hey, Tahiri is a girl', and they're trying to make the transition from childhood best friends to -- well, to whatever comes after that. Saying any more would be telling."

Gee, I wonder what comes after that.

"Add to that, what does Luke do now that his Knights are being hunted all over the galaxy? Luke has to make some choices, and he has to make them soon."

Ok, so in Rebirth or at latest Star by Star, probably Rebirth, Luke is going to make some big decisions concerning his order.

TOS: "The big mystery, of course, is why the Yuuzhan Vong don't show up in the Force like all other living things. You can't reveal the solution to this mystery, but do you know it? Is there a solution at all?"

"Yep and yep."

There you have it. Whether he'll get into that more in Rebirth I don't know, but he certainly scratched the surface of it in Conquest.

"Right now, that would be Edge of Victory II: Rebirth. While Conquest is really a Solo adventure (pun intended) Rebirth moves back to a larger, more ensemble cast."

15. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    In Conquest, Anakin told Tahiri he loved her!

16. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Mastadge...
    "Ok, so in Rebirth or at latest Star by Star, probably Rebirth, Luke is going to make some big decisions concerning his order."

It's _NOT_ his order. :) Or, perhaps there's more to Luke and Palpatine than meets the eye. Palpatine had his New Order. People seem to think that Luke should have his New (Jedi) Order as well.

Maybe the classical "Hero's Journey" circle will finally complete itself with Luke conquering the king, only to take the king's place.

It is a Jedi Order. It is not nor should not be Luke's Jedi Order.

17. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Duh he loves her, he just risked his own life many times to save her's.

18. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Yeah, but I've been overanalyzing it, trying to figure out if it's romantic love or not!

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Of course it is. It was growing throughout the whole book. At first they were just friends, then I think he began to realize his feeling when he let her cry on his shoulder, but to keep himself lucid he didn't really admit to himself that he loved her while he was out to rescue her...he was just trying to help a friend. It wasn't until it was necessary that he was able to bring himself to admit it.

Ghenghis,
    I consciously said that about "his order." I wasn't trying to imply that Luke was starting a New Order like Palpatine, I was pushing the point that for better or worse he IS considered the head of the New Jedi Order. Kyp is moving away from that, or already has, but as far as I can tell all the other Jedi defer to Luke, and I'd bet if Luke gave a direct order even Kyp would follow it.

20. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I think it's kinda cute, actually. :)

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    up.
    Don't wanna lose sight of this one...

22. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    We saw some hope in Conquest. Perhaps there will also be a "rebirth" of hope in the next book.

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    "So what was this secret mission Han and Leia were on throughout Conquest? Maybe negotiating with the Chiss? Second honeymoon?

"Will the Skycrawler be born with a third eye or an ooglith masquer?"

Was it a secret mission? I read the book fast, but I was under the impression that they were sort of hiding out in a secret location, recooperating.

My hope is that Skycrawler is born with little or no Force ability...that would really be fun.

24. excalibur2358

excalibur2358 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2000
    Doh! I was going to start this thread myself, but it looks like you beat me to it Mastadge. I just got Conquest today, and I am most eager to see what Rebirth has to offer. I think Rebirth will be like Ruin: it will have a sign of hope, but not too much. The boffla(or however it was spelled) pollen will come in handy, I think. Ruin, however, didn't have a totally happy ending with Elegos's death and Ithor's destruction.

So what will Rebirth hold? The birth of a new hope, to put it bluntly, in Skycawler. The birth of hope, in some kind of battleplan for the Jedi. To quote Gladiator (I'm a movie critic, so sue me) "A hero will rise", and in this case, Tahiri and Anakin may be those heroes, as prophecised by Ikrit. Tahiri, thanks to her little brainwashing trip, knows a little more about the Vong then they probably want her to, and information can be a powerful ally.

But something has to go wrong. Star by Star has to have some kind of faceoff. The Vong know about yasalamiri. The Jedi know about the pollen. And Anakin can tentatively sense the Vong. So who comes out on top?

Your guess is as good as mine.

25. HIM_EMPRESS_RENEE

HIM_EMPRESS_RENEE Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2001
    I think their will be a New Jedi Order, but not organized by Luke or Kyp or any other older Jedis, but by Anakin and Tahiri.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.