main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Star Wars Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Yeah, this. The sleeve/envelope thing has to go for future releases of things like this. Just have a snap-in-place thing, please. I'm paying for the movie, not some fancy piece of arts-and-craft that I can put on the bookshelf, especially if it winds up scuffing the discs.

2. DarthBandersnatch

DarthBandersnatch Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2011
    I just got the Blu Ray set, and have started spot-checking random bits of the discs of the movies. I discovered that on my Panasonic plasma display (42PHD9UK), all I have to do is switch the "Color Management" from "Warm" to "Normal," and the teal or cyan tint in Episode II goes away. And yes, Luke's lightsaber on the MF in Episode IV is blue in one shot and greenish-blue or teal in the close up shots. But that still doesn't bug me as much as the lightsaber jump-cuts.

I'll post more of a review later this weekend. Now I got some Star Wars to dig into! [face_alien_1]

EDIT: Oh, and I do not like the box set artwork. The packaging doesn't bug me too much, but the artwork... yeah. No. Makes me want to design my own box for the discs.

3. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Is there a Nooooo in AOTC? I can't remember.

Been thinking about this a lot. Probably been mentioned somewhere in all this. The TPM Noooo and the ANH Noooo are perfect matches in that they come from Student Jedis seeing their Masters slain by a Sith. Seems like even the style and length of the Noooo is roughly the same. So obviously the ROTS Nooooo is kind of the last thing uttered by Anakin and the ROTJ Nooooo is like the first thing that Anakin says thats not Vader. The ESB Noooo is of course Luke's upon learning the truth. So was just trying to remember if theres a AOTC one and if it matches in any way or if Im just making this crap up.

-T

4. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999
    Here are some other tweak for people to confirm.
    AotC : like the editing sequence change toward the end of the film, another edit was done to when Obi-Anakin fly through the power couplings, two shots are in different places.
    RotS : Right after Order 66, On Kashyyyk, the roofs has been recolored, darker. (it's a pan down shot) It's the establishing shot before you see Yoda and Chewie, another change is in the next shot interior ring of windows seem different.

not quite sure of this one, but TPM intro Republic Cruiser fly by seems shorter. Could be a variation between foreign language versions. Also this opening space shot has the talked about additional 8% frame,b but the next interior shot seems unchanged. No additional picture.

5. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Qui-Gon - Anakin! Anakin! NOOOOOOOOO!

Obi-Wan - No, Anakin, no! NO! (Anakin gets zapped by Dooku)

6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Thank you for confirming what Drewton and I have reported.

7. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Oh yeah. The Noooooooo from Qui-Gon's voiceover with the killing of the Tuskens. Of course.

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Not to reiterate the same question guys, however how difficult is it to answer two questions about the set many of you bought a few hours ago (many probably from Amazon)? Sorry, but I have been asking it for two days without an answer :p

9. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999

Be careful when using this blu-ray transfer as reportage of how a film was in 1977. Also keep in mind this program was made for TV broadcast so thing could have been done so that it looked better for viewers in 1977. In past laserdisc versions, the first shot is white, the second shot blue the third shot green. Also this show has had two announcer's that's another clue of this shows BR version's origin.
    Here's a past discussion on this tMoSW saber color things:
    http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Lukes-saber-appears-to-be-green-in-the-making-of-Star-wars-documentary/topic/13049/

10. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010

The Falcon lightsaber was blue in the LD Definitive Edition from '93 also. But also white as well.

11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Footage from a 1977 documentary wouldn't be in the same condition as the deteriorated negative shown on the 93 laserdiscs/06 DVDs. It's entirely possible that the saber was consistently blue in 77. I dunno, I wasn't alive. All I'm saying is that's not the case for the 1984 VHS releases or the laserdisc release of the OOT. Secondly, I never said that the saber was never blue; I said it's blue in select shots and white in others. It's entirely possible that that documentary was using the parts of the scene where Luke's phallic flashlight is the right color. Thirdly, Drewton isn't "reporting" the same thing as you. He's argued that the saber alternates between blue and "almost" white throughout. Curious.

Looks almost white alright.

12. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    LOL it doesn't, I just finished watching the doc, and shocker of shockers it's virtually the same as the new release with the exception of the newer correction of the wide shot in the Falcon. Otherwise Luke has a white saber with tinges of blue from time to time, which almost shift to a teal. :oops:

Yancy

13. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    So, I walked into Best Buy this afternoon, grinning like it an idiot. And I bought it...

THOR!!!!!!!!

No, really, I got Star Wars, I'm just trying to keep a negative view on things. :p

I watched some of the deleted scenes starting with "Changes to Constitution", one of my favorite unused scenes featured in the Revenge of the Sith novelization. This is so cool but Hayden's acting is so wooden.

I also took a look at The Phantom Menace. It is miles, really, miles ahead of the DVD. I did not expect it to look this good. Granted, I only saw a few scenes, but what I saw looked great. I was going to watch A New Hope tonight, but now I'm not so sure.

14. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Well after getting the set last Monday while on holiday and watching extras on a SD TV during the week every night after my little ones were in bed, I watched ANH on my own TV tonight.

All I can say is thumbs up.

The movie flew by in a haze of enjoyment. Really good picture quality, the R2 rocks and the Obi Wan call didn't bother me at all. The falcon saber is messy but it is nice in a way to be reminded of a more simple time when this film was made.

Sound was really good, especially on the battle with the TIE fighters in the escape from the death star IMO.

Really enjoyable watch anyway.

Picture 9
    Audio 8
    Film 9

Empire next...whenever I get the time...

15. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Question for those who have maybe listen to the commentary tracks, are the GL and Crew commentary the same as they were on the dvd releases or is it new and a retrospective look at the films?

16. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    The DVD commentaries are included and the Archival Commentaries are mostly culled from interviews and documentaries (I think I recognized Kurtz's comments from Empire of Dreams).

17. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Yeah the commentaries are from the DVD and the archive is from interviews and other sources.

18. StormTrooper1776

StormTrooper1776 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    What,Boba Fett's gauntlet has been changed color,to what?

19. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    Boba Fett's what?

20. iolo_the_bard

iolo_the_bard Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2005
    The spine of both the outer box and the inner 'book' have the following symbols, top to bottom:

Lucasfilm Ltd
    20th Century Fox
    Big STAR WARS logo
    Blu-Ray logo
    THX Logo

There are no logos (other than Star Wars The Complete Saga) on the front or back.

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks mate. Its great to know that the symbols on the US box are entirely centered around the film (I.e. logo, production companies, etc) rather than classification symbols etc - keeps the look centered on the film and it being a piece of art rather than it being a product. It seems on all the releases they went to the effort to reduce the non-Star Wars labels; on the US however they did a little better than the Australian box. Thanks again.

Any idea about how Amazon ships their products - would it ship in a large box with foam to prevent the item being damaged, or will it ship in a DVD-sized box? I am very particular about their being absolutely do dints or creases on the box.

22. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Anyone know if they darkened Vader's lenses in ANH or fixed the scene with Dooku on the swoop bike?

23. iolo_the_bard

iolo_the_bard Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2005
    My copy (from amazon) came in a box slightly larger then the item itself, with those little plastic air-bag thingies in it. Its in great condition. One of hte bottom corners is dinged slightly, but you cannot tell unless you pick up the set, look at the bottom edge,and squint.

24. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah, but even that type of thing would bother me. I guess it is luck of the draw however so I'll probably order anyway. Thanks for the info mate.

25. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    Received mine last night. Watched the deleted scenes, bounced around ROTJ and ROTS.

My quick first impressions of the deleted scenes:

Several of the PT deleted scenes were either partly animatics or completely animatics. While still interesting, I was somewhat disappointed in their inclusion in the deleted scenes section. That type of thing strikes me more as an 'in-development' kind of thing.

I had seen many of the ANH deleted scenes before as I am sure many of you have also. I was surprised by the ROTJ deleted scenes. I didn't know many of them they existed and found them interesting.

Overall I was not "wowed" by them, but they weren't a complete letdown either.

My quick first impressions of ROTS:
    I have never seen picture quality this good on pretty much anything I have ever watched in my own home. I don't just mean Star Wars I mean anything period. It was amazing. The color, the clarity, everything.

My quick first impressions of ROTJ:
    While no where near as impressive as ROTS in terms of picture quality (which was to be expected), it is nevertheless the best viewing of Return of the Jedi I have ever had outside of a theater. Way better than the DVDs, WAY better IMO. And as far as the "Noooo!" goes (and I can't believe I am going to say this), it didn't bother me THAT much. And I am a guy who hates almost all of the non-SFX changes.

A side note - the menus were painfully slow - I have a SONY blu-ray player, relatively new. Slow enough to be annoying.