main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The Rendezvous- The Official Social Thread of the Memphis Fan Force

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey, every niche needs a social thread, right? After being a fixture at Star Wars Starbucks for so long, I thought it might be cool to open a social franchise here, and create a place to hang out, discuss everything and nothing, and get to know our fellow Memphis Star Wars fanatics. So, kick back, grab a rib or a pork plate, fix yourself a coke, and jump right in. And, as tradition dictates for this old Starbucker, we always start things off with...

A Poll.

QGT's WELCOME TO THE RENDEVOUS- WET OR DRY? POLL!!!

1) How often do you run into complete strangers who happen to also be Star Wars fans? Where do you often find such people?

2) Do you collect SW merchandise?

3) The obligitory question: In order from most favorite to least, how would you rank the Star Wars films?

4) Name a non-Star Wars movie you absolutely love.

5) Do you consider Memphis a "city-on-the-move", or just an "overgrown one-horse town"? What do you love most about Memphis? What do you absolutely hate about Memphis?

6) Name the SW costume you drool over. (And guys, we all already know you drool over Leia in the Slave Girl metal bikini thingee. That's a given. I'm talking about a costume you really want for yourself. And if you happen to want said slave girl outfit for yourself, then, please, keep it to yourself! Hehehehe.)

7) Choose your Jedi Master: Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Mace Windu, or Yoda.

8) Have you ever been coon hunting?

9) If you could meet any one person from any time period, who would that one person be?

10) So, is Lando Calrissian really as suave as he thinks he is?

OK- that's it. (And, yes, the disjointed feeling will pass as you get used to my polls. I never stick to one subject. Goes to show how my brain works.)

Enjoy, Y'all!!

-QGT

2. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Hey QGT...great idea! But it's a little early for a pork plate...think I'll just have some coffee with cream and sugar and a Pop-Tart, thanks. Now...on to the poll!!!

1) How often do you run into complete strangers who happen to also be Star Wars fans? Where do you often find such people?
    I really don't run into many SW fans around here. I saw one guy the other day looking thru SW action figures...and it was at Kay-Bee in the Dyersburg Mall.

Yes, but not everything I see. If it's something that I think's pretty cool, I'll usually get it. Like those Japanese SW "squashed" looking figures that talk...I've got the Stormtrooper and R2-D2. The last thing I bought was the Kit-Fisto action figure. I think he's just cool, and have him sitting on my desk here right now.

3) The obligitory question: In order from most favorite to least, how would you rank the Star Wars films?
    1. A New Hope...because I saw it in the summer of 1977 when I was five years old, and I've been crazy about the story and characters ever since.
    2. Empire Strikes Back...personally I think it's the best one of the trilogy...but I had to go with ANH as favorite because it's what got me started. ESB has everything...action, drama, comedy and a helluva story.
    3. Return Of The Jedi...the ultimate good vs evil. My favorite character in this movie is Darth Vader. He finally brings balance to the Force.
    4. Attack Of The Clones...the prequels will probably never be as good to me as the OT, but I have to admit...I thought this movie was awesome. Just wish they hadn't decapitated Jango.
    5. The Phantom Menace...this movie will always be last on my list. I don't know what it is about it, but to me the movie was just slow, until the final duel scenes.

Ishtar. NO!! Just kidding...I guess after all the SW movies...don't laugh..."It's A Wonderful Life" is one of my favorites. Then "Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie".

5) Do you consider Memphis a "city-on-the-move", or just an "overgrown one-horse town"? What do you love most about Memphis? What do you absolutely hate about Memphis?
    Since I don't live in Memphis, it's hard to answer than first one, however I guess I'd have to say Memphis is a "city-on-the-move". I guess I love the atmosphere around downtown, also the music. I absolutely hate the crime and s$#t that goes on, but that's gonna happen in big cities.

6) Name the SW costume you drool over.
    Stormtrooper...I've always thought they looked cool. However, I must say that I really like the Clonetroopers now.

7) Choose your Jedi Master: Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Mace Windu, or Yoda.
    I gotta go with Yoda on this one.

Sadly, yes I have been "coon huntin'". I grew up in a "coon huntin'" family, I even had my own coonhound. He was a black and tan. I think I went hunting about 3 times and that was about it. It's not the most fun I've had, but looking back I'm glad that my dad wanted to take me. It was good quality time.

9) If you could meet any one person from any time period, who would that one person be?
    My brother Jim...he drowned when I was 2 years old and I have no memory of him...just wish I could've known him.

He may be suave, but Han got the Falcon...and the girl.

Sorry for all the edits...I kept screwing up. Hey, I'm only on my first cup o' java.

3. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Man, any time is a good time for ribs!!! Wet or dry, but I prefer wet (gotta at least have something to lick off your fingers!!!) :D

Hmmm, pretty often. Usually at school. But I ran into about 50 of them last spring at Wal-Mart.

Yup, but only stuff I like. I have almost all the figures from AOTC because I had the $ to buy them this time around!! :p

Hmmm, tough one, but here it goes:
    1 - A New Hope - How could it not be?!?!?!
    2 - Empire Strikes Back - Han Solo and
    C-3PO? 'Nuff said.
    3 - Return of the Jedi - I'm sorry, but I
    love the ewoks.
    4 - Attack of the Clones - I loved it.
    5 - Phantom Menace - Again I apologize, but
    I thought Jar Jar was funny!! :eek:

Hmmm, tough one. Probably a tie between "Dawn of the Dead" and "Conan the Barbarian".

I'd say it's a city on the move with the recent additions to downtown, but there is till alot of work to be done.
    I love Memphis' sports. I hate the racial lines drawn by BOTH races in Memphis. Oh, yeah, I hate the humidity!!!!

6) Name the SW costume you drool over.

Yeah, like that's a hard one, Chewbacca of course, but a really good one, not a cheap piece of crap!!

After seeing AOTC, it has to be Yoda.

Been rabbit, squirrel, deer, and dove, but not coon. I don't know whether to be proud or embarassed.

Che Guevara

Oh yeah. How could he not be?? (I even bought the Billy Dee Williams cologne that Avon put out about 6 years ago!!!) [face_laugh]

4. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002

Very rarely. If you where going to run into them the most likely place would be either a book store, toy store, or wal-mart :)

Kinda, sorta, not really. I collect the card game, some books and comics, and the RPG. Other than that I hacve very little SW stuff. The coolest SW thing I own though would have to be My lando action figure dressed up like Jabba's guard. I had a ton of SW toys in the early 80's including the Ben kenobi and Darth Vader with the lightsabers in their arms. Remeber those? I also had Lobot and a B-wing. I wish I could find those.

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. Attack of the Clones
    3. A New Hope
    4. Empire Strikes Back
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Wrath of Kahn (oh wait wrong franchise)

Monte Python Search for the Holy Grail.

I say a little bit of both because there are some elements of each.

6) Name the SW costume you drool over. (And guys, we all already know you drool over Leia in the Slave Girl metal bikini thingee. That's a given. I'm talking about a costume you really want for yourself. And if you happen to want said slave girl outfit for yourself, then, please, keep it to yourself! Hehehehe.)

Boba Fett costume is awesome.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

no but I hit a deer with my car once.

I'd have to say King David from the bible, he seems like a cool guy. After him it would be King Arthur. (Hey I got a thing for kings)

I'd have to say no, those capes of his just go to his head.

5. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    1) How often do you run into complete strangers who happen to also be Star Wars fans? Where do you often find such people?:

I never run into any, unfortunately.

2) Do you collect SW merchandise?:

I've bought a few of the action figures and I'm trying to track down some of the older posters.

3) In order from most favorite to least, how would you rank the Star Wars films?:

The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Episode 2
    A New Hope
    The Phantom Menace

4) Name a non-Star Wars movie you absolutely love:

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

5) Do you consider Memphis a 'city-on-the-move', or just an 'overgrown one-horse town'? What do you love most about Memphis? What do you absolutely hate about Memphis?:

I consider Memphis to be more of a one horse town with its priorities backwards. I mean we come up with money for a basketball arena very quickly yet it takes us years to get descent library.

I really like Memphis' downtown area, especially since they cleaned it up.

See first answer.

6) Name the SW costume you drool over:

Well, I liked Zam's outfit from AotC and of course there's Boba Fett's from the original trilogy.

7) Choose your Jedi Master: Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Mace Windu, or Yoda:

Yoda!!! Ben would be a close second though.

8) Have you ever been coon hunting?:

*begins laughing hysterically* No.

Okay, this is a hard one to answer. I guess it would depend on how long I could spend with them. If I had some time I'd go with Imhotep, I mean the guy did build the first pyramids.

10) So, is Lando Calrissian really as suave as he thinks he is?:

Maybe not, but it was fun to watch him try to be.

6. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Speaking of Lando...you guys remember when he did those malt liquor commercials...and the time he was on "The Jeffersons"? Mm...mm...mm...Florence just looooooved Billy Dee Williams!

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Now you're really opening up the time capsule, Steja! What was that he pushed, Colt .45?

OK- are we all getting pumped up about tomorrow? Anybody checked the Weather Channel?

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK- the weather looks good for tomorrow's big day! It's gonna be partly cloudy with a high of 89.

Somehow, Trace and I run into SW fans a lot. It usually happens when we are buying SW toys or other merchandise. Why, just last night we were buying a Hallmark Darth Vader Keepsake Ornament when the checkout guy struck up a conversation about Yoda and AOTC. Somehow we found out our new insurance agent is a SW fan, as well as our neighbor across the street. Somebody has got to get these folks out of the closet and make them acknowledge their fandom!!!

Hell, yeah!! Along with all of my original merchandise from 1977-1983, I also have about 100 or so carded Power of the Force/Power of the Jedi figures, as well as all the doubles I bought and opened for my oldest daughter. I also bought her several of the ships. We have put more than one of Uncle Georgie's kids through school, I am convinced!

The Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones

Amadeus and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Memphis is a stagnant, overgrown one-horse town. I love that it's so damn cheap to live here. One thing I hate, though, is the fact that everything we set out to do, we do half-assed. Look at the Pyramid- enough said. And we definitely have let racial politics ruin us even more.

Vader's costume. I'm slowly making one. Very, very slowly. I just can't seem to work in that beer holder/cooler.

Qui-Gon. I love the whole defiant thing. Wait, he's dead. I guess it would be Yoda, then.

I wish I could answer 'no' to this question. I really, really do.

Jesus Christ.

Oh, the man has the moves alright. Any man who can get away with wearing a cape is suave.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I just want to say that it was a pleasure meeting everyone today. I really had a good time, and I'm really looking forward to the next meeting.

Thanks for cooking, Chris. And thanks for the Pez, Steve.

And now I have to go and hose down my daughter. I swear the kid is coated with dust.

10. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Ditto on what Tim said...it was great meeting you guys. Proud to call you all friends.

Thanks to Chris and Chef Jeremy for the great burgers and dogs.

We had a "Great Eight" at our first meeting! WooHoo!!

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, I completely forgot to thank Jeremy for manning the grill. Thanks!!! Good burgers!!!

BTW, Steve, will you be eating pasta salad for the next week? That was one huge bowl, man!!

Oh, and the reason my family always snuck away from the Reelfoot Lake family reunion early and ate in Dyersburg: We used to eat at the family reunion, which was a potluck affair attended by a handful of relatives I knew, and a whole bunch that were strangers who looked like they just stepped off the set of Deliverance. One year, we were all lined up to fill our plates behind someone from the toothless masses. This skanky hillbilly, whose portion of the family tree must've been quite straight and unbranching, picked up the serving spoon, smelled of the food that it bore, and then tasted from said serving spoon. After deciding he liked what he sampled, he thrust the spoon back in the bowl and proceeded to get himself a big ol' heapin' helping of it. We all just dropped our plates right there, and found somewhere else to eat. This is why I'm familiar with, and thankful for, Dyersburg and its eating establishments.

12. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    I'm gonna be takin' bowls of pasta salad to give away at work. You're right, Tim, that was one HUGE bowl.
    I'm really excited about our group. We're gonna have a lot of fun together!!

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, Steve. Everyone really seemed to click. Not one wallflower among the bunch. Yep. We're gonna have a blast. We need to start planning next month's meeting for sure. I think a Halloween costume party would be ideal.

14. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Costume party!! Oh yeah!! :D Now I'm gonna have to start working on something!!!

Man, I had a great time guys. I work so hard on school, that I rarely get to just hang out. I loved how nobody was snobby or anything. You guys are cool!!

Steve gets pasta for weeks, and I get chips, burgers, and dogs!!

15. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Here's that link that shows how to do vacuforming. Pretty cool stuff, but that might take up more time than I have!!! :D

D2-Costume and Prop Building

16. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Nope, Chris, no snobs in the bunch. And tell your wife that we're not wierdos [face_laugh]...so maybe she'll come to the next one.

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Chris: Remember, tell your wife we all said "Live Long and Prosper". Hehehehe.

Oh, and thanks for the link to the vacuforming page. Good grief, I don't want one of those costumes that bad. That's a butt-load of work!! I am wondering if I could make Vader's shoulder and chest plates out of bondo or something. This is when I get myself into trouble- costuming. A few years back, I made Emma a Buzz Lightyear costume complete with pop-out wings and arm laser. The wings were supposed to be motorized, so they could open up at the press of a button on her chest. Of course, all of that went to pot when I couldn't get the motors to work right, so it all ended up being manual. I spent at least 100 hours on that costume, only to come in third at the Zoo Boo costume contest (a store-bought friggin Pikachu won first place- I thought I was going to cry.)

18. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Crap!! Pikachu?!?!?! :eek: I hate Pokemon! I'd love to see Tusken Raiders shoot some of those little freaks!! :D Buzz is much cooler.

Man, that family reunion story is pretty gross. With the Deliverance family i'd be afraid of having to "squeal like a pig." :D Sorry, bad joke.

Here's the writing on Vader's chestplate that Rhonda was talking about. Pretty cool stuff!!
    Chestplate

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    My, Chris, are you laden with information tonight!! Thanks for the link!! Now, I need a closer picture and a book on how to write in Hebrew so I can be faithful in my reproduction of the chestplate. I think I'll try and make mine translate into "He'll take a #6 combo. Supersize it."

I also am going to need some extreme superlifts to make me taller. What I have in mind is on the verge of being Herman Munster-ific. 8" thick Soles!! Aaarrrgh. I'll be the "Clumsy-falling-on-my-butt" version of Darth Vader. And I'll still be a couple of inches shorter than David Prowse!!

And you're right about my family reunion. If someone had ever mentioned taking a boat trip, I would've run screaming from the place!!!

OK, I gotta go to bed. I really do not want to go to work tomorrow.

Goodnight!

20. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Man, it took me an hour to find that link! :eek: I was determined though!!!!

He He, Herman Munster! :D

21. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Chris, thanks for the link, man. That was pretty cool.

22. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    hey guys whats up. I really enjoyed that yesterday. The food was excellent, the decor devine, and the entertainment was very entertaining :). Costume party would be cool, I just need a costume. maybe I can go as a fanboy, or a clone of myself and spell my name Tiim. Chris you and Jeremy did a great Job with the grilling, and Steve the Pez was awesome. Thanks very much.

Man I've looked at that vaccum forming and to me that is just too much trouble. Especially if you where only doing it to build one costume. I'd much rather just pay a little more money and have some one else do it. Guess I'm just lazy.

Hey check out this link http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/~paradox/downloads.html
    you can download the game Sabacc for windows. It also has some cool Star Wars fonts.

23. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Sabaac? Cool stuff. I'm gonna download that!!:D
    I've always wanted to see that played!! Sweet!!

24. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    I know, I couldn't believe it when I found it. Its a fun game.

25. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Yeah, Tiim...the decor was pretty cool. I've got to get one of those Vader Helmet Centerpieces for our dining room. So, Chris, you got that at Pier 1 right?