main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The Rendezvous- The Official Social Thread of the Memphis Fan Force

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I hear that. I'd have a killer costume if I had the money. It really is too bad that no one here does vaccum forming.

2. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    I just got finished whatching Triumph insulting the SW fans, :)) that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I loved the one "So what does your imagenary girl friend think about this."

3. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Glad you were able to see that Timbo. Do you have a link, so the others can find it?

4. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    Afraid I don't have a link. I got it off of Kazaa.

5. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I was having lunch and thought i would check in with you guys.
    You used to be able to watch all of the triumph videos on "www.ifilm.com" but they are gone now. but you can watch the "man show;breaking in line for star wars" which is also very funny.
    As far as building sabers goes.
    search for this site" sabers from the big yellow box" it will give you alot of info on building your own saber.You can build a nice metal hardware saber for $20. you need some tools but they can turn out well.
    Costuming is a whole different hobby.Not only do you need to have the skills to make the props but you must be able to make all aspects of the costume.Most decent costumes will cost between $250-$500.yes you can make one cheaper but you will end up redoing it because it wont look right.save up if need be and do it right.I have a royal guard costume and a vader costume and they arent cheap by any means.there are too many different thing to get and it just cant be done cheaply.If some one wanted to buy stormtrooper armor i could possibly help.That costume will always run near $1000 by the time youve bought the armor and weapons,boots and bodysuit.Jedi costumes can be easiest.you still looking at multiple fabrics,leather boots,weapons and such.It doesnt take long to add up the $.check out my site and drop me an email if you have questions.I have some pics of the custom armor ive designed andmy kids costumes im working on. I come to memphis all the time so maybe ill come to one of the meeting sometime.
    http://mglinks.com/royalguard.htm
    see ya around
    skip

6. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    Hey thanks for droping by. I'll check out your site and may ask you for some costuming tips.

7. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Thanks for checkin' in with us, skip. Pretty soon we'll have 3 official chapters in Tennessee.

8. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    1) How often do you run into complete strangers who happen to also be Star Wars fans? Where do you often find such people?

Once about every quarter-year. School.

2) Do you collect SW merchandise?

Yes, all around EU stuff and action figures.

3) The obligitory question: In order from most favorite to least, how would you rank the Star Wars films?

A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Attack of the Clones
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantom Menace

4) Name a non-Star Wars movie you absolutely love.

Saving Private Ryan.

5) Do you consider Memphis a "city-on-the-move", or just an "overgrown one-horse town"? What do you love most about Memphis? What do you absolutely hate about Memphis?

A city-on-the-move. The diversity is great. I dislike some stuff about downtown.

6) Name the SW costume you drool over. (And guys, we all already know you drool over Leia in the Slave Girl metal bikini thingee. That's a given. I'm talking about a costume you really want for yourself. And if you happen to want said slave girl outfit for yourself, then, please, keep it to yourself! Hehehehe.)

I'm not really into costumes, sorry. I wouldn't mind a Rebel Pilot uniform maybe.

7) Choose your Jedi Master: Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Mace Windu, or Yoda.

Kyle Katarn. :)

8) Have you ever been coon hunting?

Nope.

9) If you could meet any one person from any time period, who would that one person be?

Benjamin Franklin.

10) So, is Lando Calrissian really as suave as he thinks he is?

Of course.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Welcome, Wedge88!!!! From what part of our fair city are you hailing?

Try this site, Y'all.

Lightsaber Replicas

The work is impressive....

...espcially the BLADE.

I wonder if we have any places in Memphis that sell antique camera parts? I've placed a bid on ebay already, but I have a feeling I'm a gonna lose. Some of those folks want waaaaaay toooooo muuuuuch for their Graflex and Heiland flashguns. (Graflex if you wanna be Luke, Heiland if you wanna be Vader. Whatever else if yer gonna improvise.) I'd rather put my money towards the neon plasma blade, personally.

Oh, and about leather for Jedi costumes....

You can find vinyl remnants at Hancock's that'll do just as well. You're really going more for appearance, right? Why spend the difference if you can't see the difference. And about the boots- Check out your local Salvation Army thrift stores. You can sometime run across some pretty cool things there. Or, you can always buy some leather shoes and make boot mockups that fit over your calf and the heel and front part of the shoe. I did this for my incompleted Vader costume. I'll have to make the Herman Munster boots for my new one.

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh, and here's the first saga in the quest I will for now on call "Episode 2 1/2: Attack of the IMAX".

Here is the email response I got from The Pink Palace IMAX Theater today:

Tim,

Unfortunately, I have not been contacted by IMAX Corporation or Lucasfilm in regards to exhibiting the IMAX enhanced version of Episode 2. At this time I have only seen the press release that has been made available to the general public.

At this point, my best guess is that the film will only be released to commercial IMAX theaters in the top 10 - 20 markets. Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. This is because the vast majority of IMAX Theaters (like us) book films in their theaters up to one year in advance (for strategic planning, budgeting, etc.) So, we couldn't show the film even if it was offered to us, especially since we have existing contracts on other films that we must adhere to. Our schedule was locked a year ago.

I do know that George Lucas is cutting 23 minutes from the film so it can fit the 120 minute IMAX platter reel (the largest IMAX reel available). That's a lot of story to cut, but George is confident that it will work out okay.

Of course, all of us here are Star Wars fans too, so we're disappointed that we are excluded from being involved. However, if anything changes I'll let you know.

I'd suggest that you check www.imax.com on a regular basis for updated info on the Episode 2 re-release, theaters, etc.

Sincerely,

Tony Hardy
    IMAX Theater
    Union Planters IMAX Theater

I have yet to get a response from Muvico.

BTW- I betcha he'll cut all that pesky dialogue. It didn't help move the story along at all, so who needs it!

11. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    There is a camera store in bartlett/germantown in a little stripmall on the right handside.My sister in law lived in bartlett for a while before moving to collierville.I remember it was near that used cd store and a big intersection.I looked there but they didnt have anything back then.id check again.

12. sheja_mamid

sheja_mamid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2001
    Hello to all!!!! Traci and Tim...those costume photos were great. I love Emma as Emmadala.....so cute. I have a couple of costume ideas but still undecided.

On the subject of photos, I have those pics from our meeting uploaded but I'm not sure how to post them here or if we even can....anyone know the answer to that????

13. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    to have a picture come up on the post you first have to have it somewhere posted online ,like on a picture hosting service.photopoint was good but they are gone now.if you do have it hosted then
    click on the picture and then after it opens "right click" on it.look at the properties for the pic.copy and paste in to this below
    (im adding asterisks so it doesnt work,simply ignore that on yours)

type in this with the brackets;
    " [image=*your pictures location*]

try it out and see if it will work
    heres a picture from my website of my daughters zam costume nearly complete
    [image=http://mglinks.com/swcostume.jpg]

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Sherri: I know that Yahoo has places for you to post your photos. I've only done it once. Traci knows a lot more about that than I. I'll let her fill in the details.

Oh, and about costumes- Emma keeps waffling back and forth about her choice of a Halloween costume. At first, she wanted to be Lumiere from the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast, (you know, the candelabra). Of course, after having worked out all of the details on just how to the "flames", she changes her mind and wants to be Hermeine (sp?) from Harry Potter. Now she's switched back to Lumiere. (I was personally disappointed in AOTC's lack of really great female costumes. Making the Amidala costume for Emma was a joyful creative challenge. This year's Star Wars choices, well....sucked.)

15. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    The amidala one was very good, but your right there wasn't a lot of good female costumes. Although I tought Shaak Ti's costume and Luminara's costume where very intriguing. You can see their costumes in the data bank at the official star wars site. If I was a girl I would go as Luminara.

Anyone know of any good military surplus stores in memphis or near by?

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Tim: There's on on Navy Rd in Millington, I think.

17. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    Ok I'll have to check that out, thanks Tim.

18. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    I know there is a army surplus store on summer. Its in the little strip with Dach Imports.

Man, I found the perfect site that tells me how to make a Tusken Raider costume. But I'm not gonna make the mask, I'm gonna end up buying one.

19. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    Thats Awesome dude. You could probably find a mask for about $20 bucks I'd imagine. I work not to far from summer so I'll check it out some time and see what I can find.

20. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    I just finished reading "Traitor." Man, I really enjoyed it. I just wonder what Jacen is going to do. He seems like he's made up his mind, but we really don't know what that is yet. I'm also trying to sort out Vergere's explanation of the Force. :D

21. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    I know what you mean. I think it might mean that we ourselves create the dark side in us, or something. I don't know. its a fast read though, thats for sure. Good book. Can't wait for John Walter Williams book, its the next one in the series.

22. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    That's the way I took it, that we make the Dark Side dark, not the Dark Side making us dark. Hmmm, I wonder what Luke will say?!?!

I watched the PM documentry last night, why was George wearing a black t-shirt in the Tunisian desert when it gets to be 140 degrees?!?!?!?!? Good grief, I would pass out!! Sorry, just an observation. :D

23. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    Well he is George Lucas (May he live forever) I mean he probably had six or seven midgets surrounding him with fans the whole time.

24. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    He he. I'm suprised he wasn't wearing a flannel shirt in the desert!!! :D

25. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    Have you ever noticed that he bares a striking resemblance to Al on home improvement?