main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The RPF Rules Discussion - Now Discussing: Writing Violence

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    Then I propose we label the RPF's rules at the rating of FFXIII.

:p

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I see what you did there :p

3. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Alright so hehe.. Is LordT's post family friendly? Could you bring some examples of stuff that is the type of stuff that could be used?

Like, is Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho still within the boundaries of family friendly? I'd just like some clarification to what you guys mean. I know it's largely a gray area, and because it is a gray area it would be nice to have some pointers as to what works and what doesn't :)

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Psycho is rated R. Given hypothetical 13 year olds, I would not allow them to watch it, though more because of the extremely disturbing content and premise rather than the on-screen violence. Violence wise it's pretty tame.

5. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Uh, I have no idea of ratings as we don't have them here in Sweden. Or well we have, it's either allowed for children or not :)

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh. Well, an R rating, which Psycho has, means that the MPAA believes the film is most suitable for those aged 17 and up (Though it's flexible with parent permission/supervision, unlike an X/NC-17 rating). The SBB equivalent would probably be 15 years (By contrast, "Family Friendly" is closer to an SBB 11 years).

7. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    As I posted earlier in the thread, the FF FAQ gives this as an example of the absolute maximum depiction of violence:

With a sudden burst of speed, she was there. The rebel rushed forward, screaming rage and obscenities, her vibropike slashing high then low as the blood lust pushed her toward the Jedi. Etched in stark lines of hatred, her face was painted a crimson mask of gore and death.

As she shoved the pike toward the Padawan, he leapt aside, hoping to escape her fury. She twisted into his path, reaching forward to spear him and rid the universe of the Jedi abomination. But it was too late.

With one quick thrust, the woman was impaled, the lightsaber blade plunging into her chest. A red mist blossomed out, blood heat turning cool in the air, and covered them both in a fine spray. In the green glow of the saber, the crimson haze darkened, devastation apparent in black gore.

For a brief instant there was silence between them. And suddenly, the insane grunts of her uncontrolled Rancor rage spiraled into high-pitched wails, screams of searing agony.

Qui-Gon just stood there, frozen in the moment.

He did not hear the shrill echoes of destruction going on all around him. The raucous curses and whispered pleas for mercy, the exploding pulses of detonating bombs, the faint song of far-away birds were without meaning. All he could see, all he could hear, all he could feel was her hoarse howl of bloodied pain.

She moved then, pulling fiercely at the light spearing her chest, as though she could pluck the torment from her body. But she did not understand that it was already too late. Instead, her hand sliced apart, the fingers falling away and downward, making soft plopping sounds as they hit the blood-soaked ground one by one. Her voice gone in the scorching agony, the mewing whimpers grew fainter as she stared at the Padawan. And then she slumped sidewards, collapsing into the saber.

Qui-Gon tried to shut off his blade but not soon enough. Her body fell apart as the light sizzled through flesh and bone. Her life's blood spurted out in a scarlet cloud, coating everything. As the woman collapsed into pieces, one shortened arm seemed to reach for her errant fingers.

And then she was dead.

--dianethx, "In The Moment"

LordT's is also on the upper limit of torture.

I hope this makes things clear. :) If you need further clarification for a specific post you're writing, PM it to a RPF mod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.