main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Summer Challenge

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    and i believe i have the weakest game listed, not terribly shocking considering how little time i was able to spend on creating it. *shrugs* but being the weakest of THIS group isn't really all that bad of a thing i don't think.

anyway, i'm gonna do a breakdown of all of the games with my thoughts on them, and so forth. just for the heck of it.

To Reign in Hell

Ok, this is a great game (not that there are really any that AREN'T great in this). Let's just get that out of the way right now. Presentation is really good, colorful and tasteful. The distinct FLAVOR of this opening post is good, coming from the perspective of the fledgling Sith instead of that of a narrator is what I think may set this game apart from the others. That's something I'd honestly like to see more of in the RPF going forward, it's just that little bit of extra polish as it were.

Creativity: This is a period that is woefully unexplored, and to tell the story of the exiled Dark Jedi is one of the more unique ideas I've seen in a while. Kudos for that. Stylistically this is also creative, telling things from the perspective of those being outcast and demonizing the Jedi for their weakness.

Gameplay: Not entirely sure how that would end up working out, because there are people who don't like having to control more than one character in a given game and they're not really being given much of a choice on that front. That's really the only kink I can see, and that could be fixed by finding others willing to play a character in their guild.

Other Thoughts: I must admit I like the idea of going to the past to make a planet unknown, and giving everything such a classic feel to it. Before the time of lightsabers I believe, so that would also make people have to focus elsewhere than being teh uber blademaster of doom or whatever.

Overall, personally I'd say it's about the best listed.

So, when ya gonna run it Matty?:p

A Bright Center to the Universe

What we've all come to expect from the Winged one, a great game concept, well polished and just waiting to be played. This is number two in my opinion, and only by the slimmest of margins. Basically what hits it to me is that it's the dystopian future thingy that imp talked about once. History repeating itself a la the wheel of time, however, is not something one normally sees. Overall a highly intriguing game and one I'd definitely play.

Creativity: Finding Coruscant and setting IT as the unknown planet is definitely creative. Going far enough forward in time that it's just a legend of a fledgling Republic with a fledgling Jedi Order (I'm assuming with fledgling Sith ideas taking root in some places as well? Not that it looks like that would really effect anything in this game.) and pretty much everything that entails is decidedly intriguing. Not to mention what do they find on Coruscant? You give just enough to make us want to know what else is there. Typical Winged again, on that front.

Gameplay: Pretty standard fair on this front however, everyone is a bounty hunter heading off to explore a lost world with unknown dangers. Fairly tried and true, but lacks that little something extra to really put it over the top. At least you know it's gonna work out. I do like using the amount of money being paid as a rivalry kinda deal however. Should definitely make things interesting. One thing I don't really like, however, is the limit on species... Sure, travel is somewhat limited, but what about those worlds that already had a huge mishmash of species living on them? Most of those planets are in the core or inner rim (well, they're pretty well everywhere if you really think about it), so it's not unreasonable to think that there would be pretty well any race available if you really wanted to search hard enough. Really my only quibble really, and it just seems kinda a little arbitrary.

Other Thoughts: I'm left drawing something of a blank on one thing, and that's what REALLY hurts your game to me Winged. Whereas everything is pretty well explained and all in Matt's game, and all o

2. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    They way you were analyzing everything, Tris, I thought for sure that Imp had put you in charge. [face_laugh] Thanks for doing such a great job assessing mine, though. I needed that after so long out of practice. And, for the heck of it, I decided to analyze yours.

[b]Creativity:[/b] First off, while a lot of people might disagree with me, I love the title. It sounds like it could be the title of a short comic featured in Star Wars Tales, something that would draw me in through sheer curiosity, if nothing else. In other words, it's a cool title, and that's a definite plus.

Since I know you that you are an outstanding player, and are probably highly capable of creating a fantastic, if you were to post this game, I would have faith that it would be a solid, fun ride. But if you were an unknown, and I didn't trust your skills, I'm not so sure I'd play this game. For instance, the sentence "In short, find something interesting and useful or have your funding cut." followed by "Little does anyone know what awaits." sounds a bit odd. To put it in perspective, a friend and I were having a conversation about what is the most important part of a game.

I said that the most important part of a game is what I call "creative motivation." That is, what motivates a player to keep on playing until 3 in the morning. "Go find something interesting and useful" is not specific enough, in my opinion, to motivate a player. But that's probably because, like you said, you didn't put a lot of time into it, and, if fleshed out, it wouldn't have been bad at all.

[b]Playability:[/b]

[u]Storyline:[/u] Once again, the story would've greatly improved with some fleshing out, but the bones aren't half bad. I like the idea of a strange electromagnetic signature being emitted by a star that blanks out electronics, and I love the concept of a lack of prior exploration that's now being remedied in full force.

But phrases such as "overabundance of strangeness" and "what that information was" lead me to believe that there's a big part of the story that we're not hearing. And I want to hear it! That's part of a game's appeal, I think, a story that makes you drool. I jumped on [i]Aria of the Soul[/i] because it made me drool. [face_tongue] Inject some "drool factor" into this storyline, and you should be good.

[u]Gameplay:[/u] I know that there are many GMs that are 200% in favor of leaving most everything in the hands of their players. But that's something that, I believe, rarely works, or does so for very long. This game seems to leave a lot up to chance. Players lose stamina if you don't keep a bone hanging in front of their faces from start to finish, and I don't really see a bone here.

As an exploratory game, where players go out individually and search for whatever they happen across, it would work for some time. After a while, though, how many rocks can you trip over? How many wild nexu can you fight? How many old bones can you stumble across? It might get a teeny bit old.

[b]Presentation:[/b] Presentation was clean and streamlined, but I always love some pictures to personalize the game a bit.

[hr]

All in all, to be perfectly honest, it looks like a rush job that's just bursting with potential. If some more time had been put into it, there would've been no problem at all. But if I know you as a player, I think you would end up covering for this bare-bones OP with some fantastic writing and solid gameplay. [face_wink]

3. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    thanks for that rox. tis much appreciated.

i would point out two things however. there is an overabundance of likely useful and interesting things to find. i kinda tried to make sure that was at least somewhat obvious with the descriptions of what was there to be found.

second, just because you're letting the players decide where they go doesn't mean you're letting them control exactly what happens. it's kinda a give and take on that one. you control what they get themselves into by what you have decided is there, and they decided what they get into by where they decide to go. so it's really a two way street of give and take rather than leaving it strictly in their hands. for an example of leaving gameplay and direction almost totally in the players hands take a peek at sinre's game.;)

but as you said, and i said before, most of the issues you have with it would have likely been dealt with a bit more if i'd had more time from conception to actually having to get it in. that *points to other thread* was quite literally me having thirty minutes to play with an idea and that's what came of it. maybe less time actually, but since i didn't know when imp was cutting things off exactly i couldn't spend that much more time on it.

BUT i do have the game, and this is an idea that i think i may try and run with... with some more polish.:p

and again, thanks kiddo. and you're welcome for whatever help my analysis may have given.

:snoopy

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Yeah, I know what you mean about letting the players decide. If it's done right, it's a beautiful thing. But it's usually not done right, which can be detrimental to the game.

No problemo, Tris. ;)

5. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Alrighty!

The victory goes to BobaMatt!

I'm giving short explanations this time (maybe all the time) just because I still got plenty of RL stuff to do.

The part I was tickled pink with was that each game had a different interesting part that I found very cool. For BobaMatt, the idea of dealing with natives and commanding a tribe is especially fun. For Winged, I like the absent city feel, and rediscovering Coruscant is always a good thing. I like the city as a setting for this sort of thing because there's a lot for people to do and see. For QGR, I enjoy the specificity that she gives to roles, and although maybe she overkills it, there is a great potential for role specialization that gives the game some extra appeal and spice. So long as they keep on interacting, it would be a good thing. TLI has a fun idea for the people being apart of a special Republic task force, which is cool, and Trimaj spiced up his RPG with a sort of idea of this public exploration.

So what I think would be a great game would the be exploration of a few squads of New Republic task forces, with some sort of a role system, onto an unknown city planet, with their explorations becoming a very public affair! :p

Think like Europeans in China or something ;)

Anywhos, all these games were solid really. TLI's seems a little vague in that he doesn't really give any specifics. We're just all going on a fantastic trip. That might turn people off. QGR's is a safe game, but at the same time not all that extraordinary either. Plus her extensive class lineup both seems excessive and my spur a tl;dr response. Sinre's is great, but not apart of the prompt (sorry! :p ), and Trimaj's could do for a little bit of HTML spicing up and story clarification. It comes down to Winged vs. Boba IMO in the end, and while I'm not so worried about Winged's lack of detail (as Trimaj pointed out), I am more worried about the potential for game play lulls as these bounty hunters wander around this empty planet, all by their lonesome (with maybe some monsters thrown in for good measure). I can see it going sorta like Resident Evil, and while that makes a good action game, it might not make the best RPG. I'm sure Winged has some ideas here he couldn't or didn't share, but if I'm going off the first post, this is what I'm seeing. For Boba's game, its interesting time frame and a cool game mechanic for Rping multiple characters. I don't particularly care for it being in the wastes of Korriban, but perhaps the presence of these slave NPCs could spice that up. Also, I would have liked to have seen a little more detail on who the Dark Lord and Lady Sith characters were, outside of one favors finesse and the other brute strength. Its not perfect, but its the best on the basic levels. :)

All and all, great games. You should all think about running them in the future. Boba, you can go to colors for 24 hrs. Then its back to business! :)

Thanks for participating friends! :D Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! ;)

-I_H

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Wow! Thanks so much everyone!

To address the issue of the multiple characters: frankly, while some players may fully flesh out every single character, I more see it as an excuse to have a squad under your command - most players, I assume, will have one, strong leader character followed by grunts and redshirts and fun people to order around and do things. Given the setting, it seems to me to make more sense to have every player commanding a small group, because the numbers of Dark Jedi are indefinite but apparently enough to subdue and rule a planet and wage war on the Jedi. Thus, if, say, three players are sent to the same city, they can effectively conquer it however they want - that's eighteen dark Jedi. It also allows players to wage vendettas against other players without, basically, doing the dirty work themselves.

7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    hmm... i find it interesting how frequently we see eye to eye for the most part imp. kinda kewl if you ask me.

congrats matty.

on a slightly different note, i doubt i'll ever really do HTML spicing... just not my style. i appreciate it, but i really prefer it being more straightforward as it were. *shrugs* to each their own et al dat.

8. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Congrats, Matt! =D=

EDIT: I do want to say that my extensive class lineup was designed with the assumption that a player kind of knows what class they're going to be before they read all of that. So, if you're hovering between being a Jedi and a card-player, you just read the descriptions of those couple of classes to choose. And I've seen more tl;dr stuff than that before. :p

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    sinre's for instance?:p

love ya man.;)

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Among others. RP-ers are not quiet people. :p

11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Congratulations!

12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    ...soon?

The thing with the Summer is that...well...no one is around to play. But having this feather in the OP's cap would most likely make it quite attractive, non?

I tried to address your question about the multiple characters issue above.

13. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Good work, Matt. That's a game I'd certainly play. :D

Thanks to Trim and IH for the feedback. I can answer both Trim's concern over lack of detail and IH's concern over potential gameplay lulls by confirming that I do indeed have things up my sleeve for both. The story is rather intricate, and takes care of all the mysteries while providing plenty for players to do. I always like to plan ahead, and there's only so much you can reveal in an opening post. However, you can only judge quality on what you see before you, and therefore the win rightly goes to Matt.

14. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Hmmm...

I wonder for future games, if we could entertain GM notes as an addendum to the OP. Would be something that wouldn't be in the OP, but would give us a better idea for the story of surprise games.

I don't think I would be opposed to it....

-I_H

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Congratulations, BobaMatt!

=D=

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    as i said winged, knowing that it's you it wouldn't have worried me very much.;) and you're welcome for breaking it down. i enjoyed it.

imp, i really like the GM notes idea. definitely would make things more balanced i think for those who are wanting to keep an OP mysterious, and so forth.

on another note, yea i'd say winning this would probably help make it slightly more attractive matt. well, whenever you do decide to run it shoot me a PM if you don't mind. just so i don't miss it.;)

17. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Remember to send in your CSes for the second challenge folks! Just sent mine. :)

18. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Gah!

Behind already! :p

The second challenge is closed!

I'll have a post up here in the afternoon both detailing the winner (there was only one contestant :( ) and putting down the next prompt!

-I_H

19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Sorry, meant to send something in, but the last week was absurdly busy.

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    *Moon-dances across the stage several paces, quickly spins a one-eighty, and makes a little squeal! Cocks imaginary fedora at audience.*

21. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Alrighty folks.

That concludes the second challenge. Winged_Jedi is the winner, for lack of competition!

Though his sheet is pretty derned good too. ;) A very clever disability, creative use of colors in the sheet, a mature use of the disability, and plenty of detail. Well done and use your 24 to your hearts content!

And so we continue!

The Third Challenge

*** Create an original work of gaming philosophy ***

This includes game analysis, meta-RPing, board analysis, gaming advice, and any other sort of topic one would find in the RPF.

Game Design Judging Criteria

- Clarity
    - Thoroughness
    - Originality
    - Intelligence

Send me a PM if you have any questions about what qualifies. And the original deadlines as put down in the first post still stand unless I get hear from the group that you all really need the extra two days. For now, expect a late Saturday conclusion to this contest.

-I_H

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i would have done one, but couldn't come up with anything that i could build anything around... sooooooo

congrats winged.

and this next one has some interesting potential, that's fo' sho'.

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    *Screeches to a halt and stares*

Hold on, didn't I submit an entry too? The Jawa?

When you said there was only one contestant, I thought you meant me! Why do you think I did the moon-walk?

24. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I am pretty sure I´ll come up with something for THAT challenge . . .

25. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Oy!

See, thats what you get for sending it in so early. I forget all about it. Don't you know I can't remember things for more than a day? :p

Alright, two contestants. Winged and I-5. Yay them and excellent work to you both.

I'm still giving the win to Winged, and here (IMVHO) is why:

First, while I give the area of "best disability" (as if such a thing existed), to Winged, but only marginally so. While both I-5 and Winged do more mental disabilities, I think Winged's is both more exotic and a bit more traditionally disabled. Sheet HTML and style are roughly the same, a slight advantage to I-5. While Winged's colors was very creative, I-5 has home-cooked photos, which are just excellent. The real decider was in the bios. Winged gave me a very thought out story, and I-5's was much more brief (was it lifted straight from Podracer? :) ).

A good sheet though I-5, and it was very nice to see Kellerman again. I am happy to include it in our Summer Portfolio. :)

And three more days until the game philosophy challenge is up. I have no submissions so far!

-I_H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.