main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards & Contests The Summer 2011 RPF Awards! Results Announced! Please Come Congratulate all the Winners!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Penguinator, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    ...what?

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, the way that the do not nom list was that stuff was on it for a year. is that changing? (essentially what i was say. so if that stays the same, it'll be more competitive each time around)

3. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    No, that's correct. Players will continue to remain on the DNN list for a year, which now basically means they'll be on the Do Not Nominate list for one season after they win, because there are only two Awards seasons in a year. Games will continue to remain on the Do Not Nominate list for one season after they win, which now also means they'll be on the list for a year.

Make sense? The total number of ineligible players/games each season will be shorter as fewer Awards = fewer winners, but the duration they remain ineligible will be the same.

The point I was trying to make earlier was that the lack of a DNN list is a once-off thing for this Summer 2011 season only, after which we'll be going back to the usual system.

4. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    oh, i know. i was just saying that regardless, each awards is going to be more competitive now than when it was for awards per year. and that i think it's a good thing.

guess i just wasn't terribly clear about it.

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Why was this brought up?

6. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    because... people had said it was more interesting this time around because there was no DNN list? and i was just saying it was going to stay more interesting than the four awards years because the list was always going to be vastly smaller than those other years? no real reason, was just commenting.

7. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, not sure who says what here :p Blame my english. Anyway, not having a DNN list is inviting desaster. Imagine we get one stable longer runner with the majority of players? We could actually stop having GM awards. That guy may even deserve it then, but it would not serve the idea of an award, right?

I always was a great friend of dividing player-persona and GM-persona, though. It is a shame some people cannot be appreciated as players, because 9 month earlier they had a hyped game which lasted three month, you know? And I think IF, IF a guy take best GM in Summer and BEST RPer in Winter it is not to one sided. But that is my idea which I constantly bring up again and again [face_laugh] Anyway, good luck to the winners. Indeed interesting.

Nobody has yet thought of the fact that such a broad field could lead to very, very surprising winners. ;)

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    A) What is a "stable longer runner"? And

B) Nobody has yet thought of the fact that such a broad field could lead to very, very surprising winners.

As far as I can tell, the "field" is exactly the same. The things we are nominating for is as it has been for a while - GM, new GM, Games, new games, list of RPF Stars.
    Only thing that has changed is the frequency of the awards.

9. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    a. A game with more than 10 players and running over 1 1/2 year I´d say. But that is my definition.

b. Sorry. I took that term from sports, but maybe I did not get the analogy in English. We use it German in such situations too.

The field is not the road or route drivers are using, but the set of competitiors and their ranking towards each other. We got every award-winner of the last 2 years except one in our nominees list. I don´t know how you feel, but I had a problem naming two of them. So people might not get as many votes as they expected. Just because the competition is tough. I think many of the users never ran against each other, as they were always blocked for twelve month in different parts of the year.

10. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Chances are we're not going to split the player awards DNN list from the GM awards list. I realise it's arguably unfair, as GMing is a whole other kettle of fish from RPing, but we want to try and spread the love around a little bit. And, well, the colours. That's why when mods win an award we give colours to the runners-up.

Hm, I'm on the fence regarding this one.

It's conceivable that having this many people up for Awards means that votes will get 'split' between front-running candidates, thereby allowing a weaker candidate to squeak through. You see this with RL elections and it's one reason why (in a very very small simplified nutshell) most stable democracies end up with a two-party system: because if there were three parties, two with similar goals and policies, the vote from people who would be happy to support either get split between those two and the third (whom fewer people might actually agree with) ends up getting the majority vote and thereby the election.

But it's hard to say whether this will happen here, because it's not one-vote-for-one-award, and anyway I think applying real-life election theory to the RPF Awards is taking it a bit far. :p

The lack of a do-not-nominate list has lengthened the list of nominees considerably, which I think is what Fins is referring to.

EDIT:

Yeah, that's what's been happening - the DNN list always blocked a good number of the strongest players/GMs from competing at any given time, and thereby barred them from competing against each other. Which was boring, I'm sure you'll all agree...

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It all works. :p

As far as competition goes, well...you folks need to continue participating and voting!

12. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    And on that note- voted!

Looks like a good turnout so far.

13. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Add one more to the voted column. ;)

14. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
    I voted as well.

(FYI: This is Despised1, not trying to be sneaky and stack the vote :p)

15. Risca_Skywalker

Risca_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2011
    Add me on the voted column as well! :p

16. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001

On your "A" list, we have the following games that meet that criteria or are at least close to it in both length and players. The following games are (in order of game started):

- STAR WARS: INTERVENTION (A story-telling style OT starfighter game)---Always taking new players! (06-11-2009 to present; 12 "active" players, 14 players total)

- Star Wars- The Final Resurrection (10-07-2009 / 03-16-2011 to 10-31-2010 / present; 8 players from posts counted since game restarted)

- Elite League Limmie [A Sports-based RPG, New Players Welcome] (05-31-2010 to present; 8 players [Taken from Library Thread's "266 Elite League Limmie Season" posted 5/31/2011)

- **Forces** (06-09-2010 to present; unknown player number)

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Quick! Let's start debating semantics as if any of this actually mattered outside of the realm of "For fun and amusement"! Truly that is the key to enjoying the RPF!

18. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Ah, maybe I should have been clearer, but I was sure everybody would know what kind of games I meant. I meant games having MORE than ten players and dropping down to ten players. All of the above had considerable lows in players. So none of them qualifies as an example, sorry. Last one I can think of is AFAS. But I don´t think naming the games helps my argument, does it? I just wanted to point out that these games existed before and could happen again. Which should be taken into consideration, even though we have none now. ;)

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    This tread is here for the Summer 2011 RPF Awards Proper. If Xani and I feel there is a genuine need for discussion of the Awards as a whole, then we will certainly be opening up the floor for that discussion, albeit in another thread. That being said, that particular discussion shall wait until after Monday the 6th of June (AKA the 67th Anniversary of D-Day for you history buffs such as myself) so as not to interfere with these awards. They're here for fun, so let's have some fun before we get all serious. :)

Some fun facts to tease you folks...

We have an excellent turnout this year!

...though were I to stick to the letter of the guidelines for every ballot, that turnout would be halved. :p

20. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    It seems like we go through this debate every year. :p

Oh and Voted.[face_peace]

21. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
  22. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Today is decision day, is it? Well then good luck everyone!

23. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Do we have a time frame for when the big announcement will be?

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    were i guessing, thursday.

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.