main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The summer so far...

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by RABIDJAWA, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    The summer movie season is in full effect, and I thought I'd give a heads up to anybody thinkin' about hitting the multiplexes. So, this summer's movies so far...

X2: X-Men United.
    Good and not-so-good mutants must unite against a common foe. Suprisingly well written and acted, with a ton of action. Great summer movie fun. A-.

The Matrix Reloaded.
    Far more complex and ambitious than the 1999 original film. The Wachowski Bros. try to give equal space to philosopising and @$$ kickin'. The don't quite mesh together, but it's cool to see somone actually try it. B+.

Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd.
    This prequel to Dumb and Dumber tells the story of how Lloyd and Harry became friends and had an adventure involving the school cook an principle. The title is pretty accurate. D.

Hollywood Homocide.
    Great acting is let down by weak writing, direction, and editing in this story about two Hollywood cops trying to solve the mystery around the murder of a rap group. C+.

Hulk.
    This comic book flick is actually a lot artier than I thought it would be. That's not neccesarily a bad thing, either. B.

I know I missed a few big summer releases (Finding Nemo, 2 Fast 2 Furious), so if you've seen those, feel free to post what you thought. Also, feel free to post what you thought of the listed films. But be nice, I'm very sensitive. (Ha, Ha, HA!!)

2. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    O.k. This is the first of regular udates I hope to post every time I see a new movie.

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.
    The "plot" has something to do with a couple of rings, the witness protection program, a former Angel, and a pissed-off ex-boyfriend. That's all really just an excuse for lots of butt shots, kung fu fighting, and explosions. Big, loud, dumb...and extremely entertaining. B-.

Upcoming:
    28 Days Later, Terminator 3, Pirates of the Carribean, and League of Extrordinary Gentlmen.

Later.

3. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    28 Days Later.
    A zombie movie that is more about the human characters than the zombies. Director Danny Boyle combines "Night of the Living Dead"-type scares with eerily topical elements (a virus, terrorism, the apocolypse) to make a creepily effective whole. The early scenes where the protagonist, Jim, wanders around a deserted London are unsettling to say the least. B+.

4. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Okay, I want to add my 2 cents worth.

Finding Nemo
    You know, I am liking all the new animated movies coming out. I think Disney & Pixar totally kicks butt, and this movie just adds to their great list of hits. Ellen Degeneras was great, believe it or not. The movie is good for kids and grown-ups (i guess that is what i am) alike. This is totally one that I will buy when it comes to DVD. A+

5. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Hey Adam, I really would like to see both Pirates of the Carribean, and League of Extrordinary Gentlmen. If you are looking for someone to go with, let me know when you are gonna go. I promise I only bite if you want me to. :D

6. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Erin,

If you wanted to go see one (or both) of those movies together, that would be cool. The both come out the weekend of the 11th (at least I think they do), and I know that's the weekend of the camping trip, but I'm not in a real hurry to see either of them and nothing too exciting comes out the next weekend (that I know of, anyway). So, just let me know when you can go and we'll try to get something set up. As far as biting goes, I'll make you a deal: You don't bite, I won't make any stupid-@$$ comments during the flick.

7. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Adam,

You got a deal. No biting. Since you are willing to see the movies the week after they open, does that mean you are thinking about going on the camping trip? If so, way cool, if not, YOU SUCK!! I get off at 5 on mondays, thursdays and fridays, and have weekends off. so, when would be good for you?

8. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Erin,

It's not that I'm more willing to wait for these flicks, it's more that I'm not as excited for them as some other flicks this year. Like, I was crap-your-pants excited for X2.

Weekends work better for me, 'cause I work Sunday through Thursday night. I can go on week night, long as it's before 9:00. I'm a loser, so my weekends are usually free.

I'm still not sure about the camping trip. I've going through some pretty heavy personal s##t lately and I don't know how fun it'd be to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with me. I'd hate to ruin somebody's weekend.

Let me know what's up.

9. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Wow. Arny is back as his most popular character, protecting John Connor from a newer model cyborg called the TX. The movie is packed full of explosions, killer fight scenes, and some of the best vehicular carnage since Blues Brothers. Surprisingly, no, shockingly good. A-.

10. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Hah!

I had a feeling this film was going to kick @ss, even when the nay-sayers were bashing it. The first two were just too darn good, the makers had to live up to it.

11. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    What's really funny to me is that six months ago, I WAS one of those naysayers. You really have to see this flick!!!

12. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Adam,

You are not the only loser, my weekends are usually free as well, unless I get suckered to work. "Pirates" comes out on Wednesday, and "LXG" on Friday, but yeah, this is the camping trip weekend. If you end up going with us, we can talk more then, if not, let's just shoot for next Friday or Saturday.

Gald to hear that T3 was so good. I bet having that hot chick in it helped. I do like the Terminator movies, so glad to hear it was a decent flick.

13. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Erin,

I think Erik and I are going to try to see "Pirates" tomorrow night. 7 or 7:30 show. If you'd like to go I think we're going to meet at the theater a little early, since it sold out tonight. Post back if you think you wanna go. If not let's try to get to "LXG" next weekend. Let me know what you think.

Adam

14. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    You little turds. I have to go see my mom tomorrow night, so I have to pass. I really want to go though, darn it all. I am totally up for LXG next week though. You guys suck!!!

15. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl

When a bunch of undead buccaneers swipes his sweetie, that elf dude from "Lord of the Rings" teams up with Edward Scissorhands to go get her back. Well written and preformed (except for Orlando Bloom, who has all of one facial expression). It's a bit too long and some of the humorous bits don't work, but once stuff starts blowing up and swords clash, you won't really mind. Good shut-your-brain-off fun. B-.

16. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    I would just like to say, you guys suck. I so wanted to see that movie, and you went without me. Now, did you already go see LXG too? If not, I really would like to go see it. And Thursday night, or Friday night would be the best for me. Please, please, Please, let me get what I want........Okay, Morrisey was a whinner, and I don't want to be. Let me know when is a good time for you guys. I promise, I don't stink, I took a long shower last night, and got all the camping stink off me. By the way, it was a blast.

es

17. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Still haven't seen "LXG", so if you wanna go, that's cool. Friday would be best for me. Don't know about Erik, though.

Upcoming:

Tomb Raider II, S.W.A.T., Freddy vs. Jason (could be really unintentionally funny, like Battlefield Earth), Envy, and hopefully Garage Days.

That takes through August, after which, I think I'll retire...

18. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I was looking at release dates and it looks like after July things will slow down as far as movies go. Bu, there were some movie names I have no idea what they are just yet. In September we have the continuation of the Desperado saga with "Once Upon a Time in Mexico." In October, we have "Kill Bill" and the re-release of the orginal "Alien" film on Halloween. Nov. 5 is the conclusion of "The Matrix" trilogy and December is the end of the LOTR trilogy.

Next summer is already looking to be awesome. There will be Hugh Jackman in Van Helsing, plus, "The Chronicles of Riddick" "Spider-Man 2" "Mad Max: Fury Road", Alex Proyas directing "I, Robot", "Aliens Vs. Predator" and "Blade 3".
    It sounds like some good buttkicking. And the next summer we have new SW and Indy movies to look forward to.

19. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Friday is good for me too. What time are you thinking of? Also, I think that anyone else who wants to go should join us. The more, the merrier. Thank you for not seeing it yet Adam, I guess you don't suck as bad anymore. I can't wait to see LXG, it looks AWESOME.

20. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    LXG shows at 5:10, 7:20, and 7:50 Friday night. I can make any of those screenings. I'm also gonna call Erik and see if he's gonna go.

21. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Either the 7:20 or 7:50 show will work for me. Just let me know.

22. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    O.k., let's try for the 7:20. How's about I meet you at the Edwards between 7:00 and 7:10. I don't think anyone else is coming, though anybody who would want to is certainly welcome.

23. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    That sounds great. I will meet you there. Thanks for not backing out on me. If you did, i would hunt you down, and kill you. Just kidding. I sure hope it is cooler in the theater than it is outside. I think Alaska is looking really good right now.

24. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    A bunch of literary characters get together to stop a madman from starting a world war. Lots of things get destroyed and Mr. Hyde is very cool. Not nearly as cheesey as the trailer made it look. B-.

25. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
    I didn't like the first one, but TR II is a big step up. Lara must stop a creepy rich dude from getting hhis hands on Pandora's box and killing everybody. It's nice to see a flick which doesn't feature armies of CG creatures whooping up on each other. And Angelina Jolie is pretty convincing in the role of a butt-kicker. B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.