main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Trades Thread (Discussion and Review for All Comic TPBs)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]

Zorrixor likes this.
  2. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I've ready a lot of eu books none of the omnibus. Which one would guys recommend to start with? Tales of the Jedi was the one that intrigued me so is that a good choice?

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's kind of cheap Hav, especially given he also did stuff like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In an ideal world you could start anywhere you like, practically, however, you are limited to what is in print so it's a tougher question to answer than you might expect.

Mirax Terrik likes this.
  4. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    The first two issues of XWRS were not good. I bought the first omnibus to have them because I already had the rest and it wasn't worth the money. The art is horrendous and the plot of the one with Luke is iffy at best.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, that's a genuine thumbs-up, just with an in-joke image. I love Biukovic. Nearly nominated him for the AF Hall of Fame this year. I'm sure he'll be up at some point.

As long as we're deploying pictures, he does great characters:

[​IMG]

(note how well he captures the likeness of Janson from the X-wing comics while also being the first artist ever to actually pay attention to TESB and give him the distinctive puffy cheeks and laugh lines that are all you can actually see of him in his movie appearance)

[​IMG]

great tech:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

great battles:

[​IMG]

and great composition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the best.

Gorefiend and Mirax Terrik like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok then, misread your intent Hav.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Finally got the Boba Fett is Dead tpb from Amazon UK and had time to read it today. I really enjoyed this - good story and art. More please..

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've been meaning to do a review of the same but didn't want to be seen as hogging the thread!

I have to echo your concise post Laj. It's a great little story, that makes effective use of the EU combined with Scaif's stunning art. It's a shame we might not get more of that - his Vader is utterly superb!

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    His Fett isn't bad either. And I loved that Slave I got a bit of action.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Boba Fett is dead is good?

I might have to make some time to finally read my singles then. Keep putting it to the bottom of the pile thinking I'd sooner read anything else.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I liked it. It was a bit poignant in parts given events later in the Legacy of the Force series.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So long as you don't go in expecting a literal delivery on the title, it's a great little story. Kind of a shame there won't be more Blood Ties as I liked the original concept quite a bit.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I really enjoyed Boba Fett is Dead, which is quite a feat since I've made it known I don't like Fett having a family, particularly since it seems to add so little to the character. The actual story's execution was good, though.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, for me, I guess I didn't ascribe it that much weight in the end as he gets told to get stuffed by them!

Did like the idea of a kid wielding an ion cannon though!

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Per Comic Book Resources, there is finally gonna be a Purge trade! Looks like it includes all of them, including Tyrant's Fist.

STAR WARS: PURGE TP
    Haden Blackman (W), Alexander Freed (W), John Ostrander (W), Marco Castiello (A), Jim Hall (P), Chris Scalf (P), Douglas Wheatley (P), Alex Lei (I), Mark McKenna (I), Michael Atiyeh (C), Ronda Pattison (C), and Adam Hughes (Cover)
    On sale July 17
    FC, 120 pages
    $17.99
    TP, 7" x 10"
    Darth Vader brings death to the Jedi who survived Order 66. His legend grows as he roots out Jedi, crushing their lives, their hopes, and all memory of their kind from the civilizations that now bow to the Galactic Empire.
    • Haden Blackman! Alexander Freed! John Ostrander!

Rew likes this.
  16. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Absolutely how I felt about it. The art, in particular, surprised me - it was quite good.

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    A Purge TPB? Sweet. I suggested that in the Tyrant's Fist thread the other month, so cool to see they thought of it too. :)

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yup, there is indeed a Purge trade inbound and a couple of others!

DHC May 2013 Solicits

STAR WARS: AGENT OF THE EMPIRE VOLUME 2--HARD TARGETS TP
    John Ostrander (W), Davidé Fabbri (P/I), Christian Dalla Vecchia (I), Wes Dzioba (C), and Stephane Roux (Cover).
    When the current Count Dooku is assassinated--and Boba Fett is framed for the deed--the Count's young heir becomes a political pawn. Agent Cross has his orders, but when the boy's fate is left to a murderous uncle, an angry bounty hunter, and two lethal ladies, Cross changes his mission! Guest-starring Boba Fett, Princess Leia, and Darth Vader!
    128 pages, $19.99, in stores on July 31.
    [​IMG]

STAR WARS: DAWN OF THE JEDI VOLUME 2--PRISONER OF BOGAN TP
    John Ostrander (W), Jan Duursema (P), Dan Parsons (I), Wes Dzioba (C), and David Michael Beck (Cover)
    Xesh, a mysterious alien warrior, is enthralled with the madman Daegen Lok and his obsession with conquering known space. Hunter teams are dispatched by the Je'daii to stop Lok and save the misguided Xesh, but they're not alone. Xesh's former masters have sent their own hunter--with orders to kill! Collects Dawn of the Jedi: Prisoner of Bogan #1-5.
    128 pages, $18.99, in stores on July 24.
    [​IMG]

And finally... Purge!

STAR WARS: PURGE TP
    Haden Blackman (W), Alexander Freed (W), John Ostrander (W), Marco Castiello (A), Jim Hall (P), Chris Scalf (P), Douglas Wheatley (P), Alex Lei (I), Mark McKenna (I), Michael Atiyeh (C), Ronda Pattison (C), and Adam Hughes (Cover)
    Darth Vader brings death to the Jedi who survived Order 66. His legend grows as he roots out Jedi, crushing their lives, their hopes, and all memory of their kind from the civilizations that now bow to the Galactic Empire.
    120 pages, $17.99, in stores on July 17

[​IMG]

At 120 pages, that suggests 5 issues which would cover the first 3 Purge one-shots plus the far more recent two-parter.

Of particular significance for me is that it includes the first and third Purge one-shots, the first has Wheatley on art and is, as might be expected, excellent. But the third has Scaif art! Let me repeat and elaborate that: We have Scaif on Vader!

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'll pass on the Dawn of the Jedi one but I might consider the others.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    That AotE is how I like to see my Boba Fett.

Treated like the chump he should be. :p

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Now to decide if I trade wait for AOTE and DOTJ or just buy them digitally.

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah i picked up the first Dawn of the Jedi TPB. Pretty good so far

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends on how much you enjoy reading digitally ID. Does tend to be cheaper overall.

24. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    well. Do I buy these Purge, Crimson Empire and Dark Empire Trade collections or do i wait for an omnibus? Decisions, decisions!

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    All of the Crimson Empire comics are already in one volume - see it here on Amazon UK. If you don't have any of the comics I recommend this. It's roughly Omnibus-sized but a lot thicker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.