main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD The War Room - QLDFF Events Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by BigBossNass1138, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    The scene is set. Tensions are running high. Harsh, moody lighting and tense incidental music accentuate the dramatic camera angles as lights blink, wall-high screens disgorge ostensibly crucial information, and people stand around a giant table poking little plastic figures around with long sticks.

A cry rings out:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

At Magnus Darkrider's suggestion, here is the thread where Queensland Fanforce plans its most intricate manoeuvres, its most devious stratagems, its most delicate rendezvous. In short, this is the (desperately needed) thread where we announce upcoming group events and plot the necessary logistics. Even if meets are proposed in other threads, we would ask that they please be thrown into the mix here. This will ideally be the one-stop shop where everybody can list all the events they won't be able to attend due to prior engagements. :p

And so, BEGIN WITH THE PLANNINGS!

As of right now, we're still rolling on Party Momentum following the Christmas Bash and the 2 and a half day long New Year's celebration. Hence, we have several planned events on the boil.

#1: Murder_Sandwich's Birthday Whatever, on this coming Saturday (Jan 13). LAN gaming at the Cyber Room, followed by Sizzler, followed by adjourning to Teh Boon for playing of the Wii and watching of cheesy 80's gaming-themed movies.

#2: Australia Day celebrations. Plans are yet to be finalised, but as of now things seem to be leaning towards a backyard BBQ at The Boon. The Pool will hopefully be in attendance, and we'll all be lounging around eating unhealthy food, drinking unhealthy drinks, and generally enjoying the festival that is the Aussie Long Weekend.

#3: A close follow-up to Australia Day, most likely the day after, the long-awaited Heroes Marathon. Starting with episode 1 and continuing through to the brand-new episode 12, all in attendance shall be under the obligation to geek out to the nth degree about one of the best TV shows in recent years. Heroes virgins are welcome, but be warned that spoilerific conversation is likely to be the order of the day. As always, sticking one's fingers in one's ears and shouting "LA LA LA" is the best, and perhaps only acceptable defence.

#4: Magnus, Goobs, HappyBob and I have all expressed interest in sitting down for a binge viewing of the classic Macross/Robotech saga. All comers are welcome. I know that I myself am a complete noob to this show, so other people who haven't seen it shouldn't feel left out.

I think that's all. The aim of this thread will be to keep a running list of everything that's coming up, so nobody misses anything, and everybody knows what's going on. Anybody wanting to propose a group event, feel free to post here about it. There will be regular re-posts of the full list.

This has been a public service announcement from a person who has too often felt the victim of bad planning, and wished things were ogranised just slightly further in advance. :p

(Yes yes, I did say I wasn't going to post this till morning, but eh :p)

Hawk edit: //UHUs back of thread

2. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    The man in a news hound's suit looks around the massive chamber in awe, and tips his fedora back.

Sensational!

I have nothing further to add at this time, except to reinforce this policy:

No Fighting In The War Room!

Now lets just hope that the ghost of Ronald Regan doesn't find his way in here...

And now...Perry Mason*...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

*Major kudos points to whomever gets that reference...

3. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    You're all shifty looking [face_worried]

4. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    A viewing of Pan's Labyrinth ASAP also. If it's on already I'm up for a Sunday arvo/evening viewing.

5. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Better decide where no? ;)

6. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    TEH LIST

7. Murder_Sandwich's Birthday Whatever - Jan 13. LAN gaming at the Cyber Room, then Sizzler, then adjourning to Teh Boon for Wii and cheesy movies.

8. Checking out Pan's Labyrinth. Does anybody know when this opens here? I couldn't find a date in my brief skim of the cinema websites. I'm guessing next weekend (weekend of the 20th) for this?

9. Australia Day celebrations at Teh Boon. Backyard BBQ is looking like the crowd favourite.

10. Heroes Marathon. Pencilled in for Saturday the 27th.

11. Group viewing of Macross/Robotech. No date yet set. Depends on how many people want in.
  13. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I will be there for the Hero's marathon and 110% there for the Robotech/Macross Saga[face_hypnotized] =P~ Oh BBN you're in for a treat there[face_mischief]

14. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I firmly believe that I will be. :) I'm looking forward to it. I've been meaning to check it out for ages and ages, but never had the chance.

15. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Pan's Labyrinth is having advance screenings this Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Chermside Birch, Carroll & Coyle cinema at 9:00 pm each night.

I assume it comes out officially the following Thursday, but I can't find any information on that yet.

So, Sunday night?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

16. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    9:00 Sunday at Chermside sounds okay to me.

17. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I can do 9pm Sunday at Chermside also :D

18. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    With regard to Pan's. I rang Chermside and their understanding is that there are only limited reels so there is no garantee that it will show at all after this weekend in QLD. Personally I think it will make its way to GC and Indro but who knows.

Oh and it is subtitled, rather than dubbed.
    I'm planning on seeing it tonight after happy hour, will possibly make the Sunday viewing too.

19. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    M_S's Birthday Whatever Schedule

1.30pm - I'll be at TehBoon to drop off the Wii, then will carpool down to Cyberroom

2.00pm - Gamers meet a Cyberroom to Game

6.00pm - Gamers and the Norms meet at Sizzler

Whenever - Back to TehBoon for Wiing and Geek movies

20. Magnus Darcrider

Magnus Darcrider Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2000
    I'll see you guys and gals back at the Boon post-Sizzler. Call me when you're heading back.

Because I love fogging issues up, apparently the Eldorado 8 is showing Pan's Labyrinth as well at 6:30 pm, which may be a friendlier time for those who have to work on Monday.

I'm good for either, though I'd prefer Eldorado 8 as I think it's closer to me than Chermside. Cheaper too.

I bow to the Will of the War Room.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

21. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I have to work Monday, so El Dorado might be somewhat better for me. I'm not hugely fussed one way or the other, though.

And with regards to M_S's birthday gig, I've just been made aware that I'm working till 4 tomorrow. So I'm not going to be able to join the gamers at the Cyber Room. :( Sorry, Sambo. I'll meet everyone at Sizzler at 6.

22. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    If I can motivate myself enough and judge that I can afford it I shall be at the Cyber room. ;)

23. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Pan's 630 Eldorado would be better I reckon..and I'll see you guys at Sizzlers
    or at the Boon later...

24. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    If I'm still functional after a big day of poker, I might join you all at Teh Boon... Don't know when, don't how. But I know we'll meet.

25. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Ill see yous at CR at 2pm! And sizzler after!!!! :)

26. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    ok, I just got my timetable and my boss mixed up the days and gave me sat off and I'm working Sunday. *sigh* But that's ok, just means I have to leave my friend's party early.

But the good news is I can make it to the Heroes marathon!! :D Though I'll have to duck off at some stage to go to my friends birthday party.

27. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    So what time is Sizzler going down?

28. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    6 PM. That shall be the time of my arrival, roughly. I'm leaving work in 15 minutes, so I might make it into town a bit sooner than that. We'll see.

29. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I think at this time I shall not be coming, damn but having that mid afternoon nap that went right on untill now. [face_worried]

30. monkiee

monkiee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2007
    I'm totally up for the Australia Day thing, give me a chance to meet you guys in person, which is always the best way to get to know peeps, but I'm a little ? on the 'The Boon'. My guess is that it's someones backyard, someone named 'The Boon'. Just wondering where I should rock up to. OZ day is Friday the 26th aswell, right?

31. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I'm going to an all-day poker tournament on Australia Day - if it happens. There's going to be four games, and if I cut the mustard in the first game, I only have to go back and play the fourth game, so I can join in for some fun and frivolity between the first and last games.