main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The WELCOME TO FAN DESIGN Social Thread: Just Who in the Heck Are You?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Brandon Rhea, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Hi, I'm Jennie. I've studied digital media design and worked as a graphic designer. But now I'm back in school again, studying interaction design. I'm hoping to learn more about coding, in addition to HTML and CSS.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'm actually going to be working on a site for my high school, so this forum will be a big help. :)

3. kikichan

kikichan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2009
    Hi I'm kiki,
    I like reading fanfic and creating fanarts

[image=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8206/benskywalker.png]
    ta da! :p

I'm trying to make my own website for my fanarts, I hope this forum can help me ^W^

4. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    Hello there!

I'm IJedi. I'm finishing up my Film and Television undergrad. My focus is on video editing, but for my last term I'm taking some motion media design classes, which is just like graphic design that moves over time. So, any helpful resources, like this new board, will be a great help, since I have very limited experience with graphic design.

-IJedi

5. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
  6. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Which version of the Wookieepedia logo did you design?

7. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    The current one, with the serif text. (I didn't do the Aurebesh version that builds on it; I think that was for the last April Fools?) There's a bigger one on the Wook somewhere that I did for their C4 banner - pics of that in action here and here. It's pretty much the same thing, just higher res plus URL. Here are the details on fonts and such. It's remained pretty much unchanged since '06, though now that I have Illustrator again I may see if they'll go for an update.

8. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I think this board is very cool. :D

I graduate last year is a graphic designer, and right now I am in the advance Maya class. We did some Web design in our classes, but not much to really to make us as an experts.

Having fun making video editing in After Effects, and I did some short college films.

Finally I am planning to create some educational videos by using Maya.

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Maya as in Autodesk Maya?

10. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Yes, Maya is the Autodesk software.

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Very cool! As a graphic designer, what sort of 3D work and studies are you getting into? Are you learning Maya for opportunities work-related or for your own enjoyment?

You've piqued my curiosity because Maya is the program I am learning, studying and using this year. :D

12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Graphic design sure is a fascinating field, isn't it? :)

13. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Maya eh? I used to use Maya back in the day, when I went to a class for it when I was in High School. In fact, that was the class that helped jumpstart my career as a Web Designer, as we made "3D Websites" for real clients, pro bono (although they could donate to the school if they wanted). It just so happened that one of those clients decided to hire me to maintain the site we made him, for actual pay. This happened when I was 18, some two and a half to three years ago.

The last thing I made in Maya, was this, in version 2008. I never finished it, because I was doing it after the class I took with it, and didn't exactly have a copy of Maya.

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    When I first opened that image I read "Render of my Room..." and thought, wow, interesting room you have at home, Kev! Then I noticed the last word. :( :p

15. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Yeah, the floorplan of the room is the same as what it is now, but everything else is new, such as the bed/desk/nightstand combo.

16. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    /facepalm

I didn't even pick up on your user name being a respelling of Tracy Duncan.

One of us is stupid, and it's not you. :p

17. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I've never worked in Maya. In fact, I've never done any 3D design. Next year, though, I'll be learning Maya and I'm really looking forward to it.

Right now, I'm having fun with Illustrator. I've never liked it before but I'm beginning to see all the possibilities now. :D

18. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    Heh, Illustrator. I affectionately call it 'Pillustrator', which should give you an idea of how that program and I get along. ;]

19. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Hello...I am Jaden. I make icons for the site (not many, I just started) and I love to do graphic creations of all kinds. I am poor so I use paint.NET. But it is a very good program once you get used to it. It makes me work harder to make special effects, but I have add ons that help. It is fun. I also draw, paint, and do anythig artistic. I especially love drawing portraits of people.

20. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Welcome Jaden. Good to have more icon makers around here. :D Have you ever used a graphics tablet for the computer when you've done your portraits before?

21. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I have a tablet, and am learning how. I am left handed (well, both sort of), and use the mouse right-handed, so it is weird using the tablet with my drawing hand. That sounds weird, huh? But it is getting easier. I still have more success with the mouse right now. I have a Wacom Bamboo tablet. Using both hands comes easily for me. My parents thought I was left-handed, but I think I am ambidextous. My sis, she is straight left-handed.

22. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Really, I hate mouse drawing. :oops: I have lousy success at it even when I'm doing simple stuff like use Photoshop's Lasso tool.

23. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Have you ever tried drawing with both hands at the same time? Now that would be cool. :cool: :p

24. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I very much enjoy and appreciate your work on the Wookieepedia logo. The subject is almost stark,
    but the lack of block STAR WARS font (and maybe Jar Jar dancing in a top hat) is what gives
    it the presence it holds. The subtle shadowing adds wonderful depth to the entire Death Star
    without making it look like a softball. Good, clean rendering that didn't result in a 'shrunken head',
    dimensionless mess. You have an understanding that many professional artist/animators are sorely
    wanting... when to stop.

Thank you again for your logo.

25. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Haha, I am not that talented. But I had an issue in my ulnar nerve ant it made the outside of my left hand numb for a few months, so I drew right handed. It was tiring.

I can draw on an etch-o-sketch. Does that count? I just picked on up and started drawing on it. I can right my name and draw stuff on it. And I can also write on paper my name frontwards, backwards, upside down and upside down and backwards with my left hand....the hand I write with most easily.

Useless talent.