main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'The Well Of Souls' - LucasFilm Projects' social thread.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by RidingMyCarousel, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002

...now the far end of the chamber comes into view. There is a stone altar down there and on this elaborated carved platform is a stone chest, big enough to enclose the Lost Ark and protect it from the ravages of time. This altar appears to be the only place on the floor of the Well that is not being sat on or leaned on by a throng of people from all walks of life, who appear to be chatting to one another.

From the darkness they hear: [i]"Welcome, kind soul, to the [b]LucasFilm Projects Social Thread[/b]. The only one of its kind, and the place for travelling, exploring forumgoers to meet and get to know their fellow visitors. So think of something, light a torch, and whip up a conversation!"

"I wish the [b]LucasFilm Projects Social Thread[/b] was in a bar, tavern or diner like every other one in the JC forums seem to be," [/i]says Indy with a sigh to Sallah as they lower themselves into the hole...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/jaepee/raider2.jpg]

A special thanks goes out to [b]Debo[/b] and [b][color=white][hl=indigo]jp-30[/hl][/color][/b] for the ideas of this thread. :)

[hr][/blockquote]

2. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    My pleasure. ;)

A good idea to have a thread like this here.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    And thanks to RidingMyCaroselOnYou for coming up with the idea of putting a chat / social thread in LucasFilm Projects.

So, as the mod of this forum, I thought I'd best start off by 'explaining myself'. :)

I'm 31, and have been a fan of the Indiana Jones films since my uncle took me to see Raiders when I was 10. While my obsession with Indy & other Lucas films hasn't scaled the heights of Star Wars, it comes close on occasion.

One of those occasions, while I was trawling the web a month or two back for info on Indy 4 caused me to decide to try and turn this forum around. It's a slow process, but I'm confident traffic will build slowly and steadily. I'm presently watching as many Lucas related movies as possible and reading some books on George & ILM to try and get me up to speed with the scope of the discussion here.

As for the 'real' me, I'm married, with a son (1 month) & daughter (19 months), live in Auckland, New Zealand and now work for a record company, after spending the first 10 years after University (Bachelor of Engineering) in the winemaking industry.

I don't expect you all to give up your family secrets, but a bit of background on who you are, where you live, why you post here would be pretty cool, and a good way to get the chat started...

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh, and you have Debo here to thank (among other things) for the brilliant line "So think of something, light a torch, and whip up a conversation!"

[face_laugh]

Brilliance. Sheer brilliance...

5. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm presently watching as many Lucas related movies as possible and reading some books on George & ILM to try and get me up to speed with the scope of the discussion here.

More mods should do that. You can't expect it of everyone, but some forums would really benefit from sharp, informed minds. The Games forum springs to mind.

;)

The first Indiana Jones film I saw was Temple of Doom, around 1985 probably, which my parents had rented to keep us -- me, my brother, and two girls who lived across the street -- busy while they were preparing Christmas dinner with the family. We watched the whole thing breathlessly, went wild when the guy's heart was ripped out (long live the "pause" button!), and we kept yapping about it the whole evening.

Then, we discovered Raiders of the Lost Ark, another brilliant film -- to this day I'd refuse to marry anyone who can't quote from it.

Marvellous days / films.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > to this day I'd refuse to marry anyone who can't quote from it.

Damn... I'm already spoken for.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sup? Obviously, I'm a big Indiana Jones fan as well as a SW fan ;) I love American Grafitti, also. :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    It is a pleasure to get to know all of you :)

I first saw Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom right after my first viewing of The Empire Strikes Back. They were on a the Sci Fi channel (I think) around the time I was 5 years old or so. I was instantly hooked... I asked my grandparents for a Jones-esque hat and a whip ;) Now, I didn't get all of that.. but I did happen to make myself a whip out of some scrap leather in the basement :D

9. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well suffice it to say I'm not only old enough to have seen the Indy movies in a theatre but also Star Wars and Jaws, so I've been a fan for a long time.

I'm an engineer and studied CG (or so I claim to have done ;-). In my spare time I run an ILM related website and forum (I believe it's the longest running VFX website on the net), so naturally I try to keep on top of many Lucas related projects.

10. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    http://www.ilmfan.com/

Heh, that's funny, malducin -- jp-30 and I use that site for research for another thread idea.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Not that funny. I discovered that ilm site through his sig. :p

12. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Like Hell you did. I gave it to you.

13. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    LOL, thanks. There is still so much I want to do to the ILMfan site. It's getting there though. At least with the filmography quick list it's halfway useable. Hopefully December will be a calm month so I can add more goodies. Anyway if you find anything major lacking let me know.

I'll be watching here Muahahaha (evil LeChuck laugh ;-).

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > Like Hell you did. I gave it to you.

It's like Newton / Leibniz all over again.

15. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Hello all!

I can't remember NOT being an Indy fan. One of my first memories is going to Orlando circa 1984 and my cousin getting a whip while I drooled in awe (I was 6.)

16. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Morning, everyone :)

Indy nostalgia... :D

How is everyone today?

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, 2 weeks after getting our main car back from having a new head gasket fitted (NZ$2000), the secondary car has blown its radiator.

Not good having one car out of action when the wife is stranded at home with the kids, and this double blow right before Christmas couldn't have come at a worse time.

:(

Other than that though, things are fine. :)

18. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Wow, is everyone having car problems? :(

Mine just went back into the shop after I had a brand new clutch and transmission installed. The clutch isn't sticking when I change gears :\

19. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Howdy one and all!

How goes it today?

20. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Hullo, Tom!

I'm doing fine. You?

How do you feel about a fourth Indy film, come to think of it?

21. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Hi Casper!

To be honest I was a little disappointed with the second and third ones, in both cases mostly because of annoying supporting characters. But I still think that Indiana Jones is one of the best characters of cinema history, and if a fourth film is well written and well cast it should be great.

What's your take?

22. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I don't know. I always feel that, like Star Wars, those films belong to my childhood. I mean, I do (Star Wars) and probably will (Indiana Jones) enjoy the new installments, but it can never be that again.

It's different with films like Lord of the Rings, because they have nothing to live up to; they're Now. But a good film is a good film, of course.

What's your News-Of-Today?

23. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Nothing exciting, just the same ol' routine... stuffing envelopes and surfing the net a bit. Let's see, I did get my tickets to the midnight showing of The Two Towers the other day, but that's about the most exciting thing that happened to me this week.

What's new with you?

24. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Midnight showings -- I don't think such a thing exists here. Cinema, in Holland, isn't that alive. We don't tend to do that sort of thing. Probably because it testifies of a love of entertainment, enjoyment, excitement, and we -- a Calvinistic, dry, hard-working country -- don't have that in us. Well, I do, but I never really felt Dutch. European, maybe, not Dutch.

And that's my news. ;)

25. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Maybe you could go see a midnight showing in France.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.