main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Witcher Series (PC RPG of the Forever)

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Nov 21, 2010.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've finally gotten around to getting the first Witcher game and I'm having fun with it so far. As a fan of the books, I'm really liking it, and it seems to be fairly good too.

I've just checked the website and the details of what will come with The Witcher 2 have been released, and the Collectors' edition is pretty epic indeed. Details here. I'll probably go with Amazon for my copy, though it really annoys me that there are different bonuses from different places.

Anyone else looking forward to The Witcher 2? Anyone else a fan of the books?

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    The Witcher 2 Premium Edition is ridiculously good value. I'll be getting the Steam version for sure.

I've not read any of the books, but I've been playing The Witcher on and off for a while now. I haven't finished it unfortunately, it suffers from the Eastern European RPG obsession of putting you in control of a pre-designed and often dull lead character. I mean, Geralt isn't too bad, but I guess I prefer having some choice in my character's appearance, name, backstory etc.

3. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    They were supposed to do a console port awhile back. I'd've played it if they did.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I played and liked it, but I cannot figure out the obsession with it in some circles as 'zomg such a great RPG so much better than DA/ME/etc.' The combat was pretty dull, and the voice acting (and only 3 character models or whatever) was average.

Story was good, and I'll probably pick up W2 on sale.

5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Haven't played it, but I am looking forward to Assassin of Kings. I'm always up for something that tries to break the mold.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Are you referring to the original game or the Enhanced Edition, there?

That aside, I quite enjoyed the game, though I still have to get around to finishing it at some point. Looking forward to picking up the sequel.

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Geralt is the main character of the books, so having a main character you can customise like that wouldn't really work. You can do it with ME and DA and other games where they're not based on pre-existing books, but not with the Witcher.

The console port will be out soon-ish and will be called 'Rise of the Wolf' or something along those line. :)

The original did have very little variation in models and such, but the Enhanced Edition added a lot of new content, including more models and model textures as well as more and improved animations. One good thing about the Enhanced Edition was that you could get it for free if you had the original edition.

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I have the EE, so there were like 8 models, sorry. :p

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Oh well. :p

I preordered the collectors' edition which was £70 on amazon. Mind you, it doesn't come out until May so it's not like it'll cost much if I save up for it now. Some of the stuff I'll get with it is just awesome. :D

10. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    I hope the improve the controls in the sequel. That was the only thing that bugged me in the original.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Some new Witcher 2 screens:

[image=http://static.videogame.it/img/t/the-witcher-2/the-witcher-2_rdgxe.jpg]

[image=http://static.videogame.it/img/t/the-witcher-2/the-witcher-2_smhft.jpg]

[image=http://static.videogame.it/img/t/the-witcher-2/the-witcher-2_7baps.jpg]

[image=http://static.videogame.it/img/t/the-witcher-2/the-witcher-2_heub1.jpg]

[image=http://static.videogame.it/img/t/the-witcher-2/the-witcher-2_8qfu4.jpg]

=P~

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    QFT!!

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    So, it's nearly out! Who's getting excited?

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    TW2 has mysteriously disappeared from the Australian and NZ Steam stores. People who already pre-purchased it still have it in their game folders, but no one else can buy it now.

I'll probably just buy it from the UK GamersGate site, the exchange rate makes buying games in pounds incredibly cheap. :D

15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Still need to finish the first one, myself. Might get started on that today.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I still need to finish it too. [face_blush]

17. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Maybe they're trying to focus their GOG sales a bit more, so they dropped it from Steam for a bit. They said that you'd be able to buy the EE Witcher for ten bucks from GOG leading up to the release.

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Just to note, Aussie and NZ customers who feel shafted about the inflated price and censorship can change their region on gog.com to US and download the uncensored version (also far cheaper).

They've removed the IP lookup for determining region, so it seems like a perfectly legit thing to do.

19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Pre-ordered the second game from Steam a day or two ago. Looking forward to it. Not much longer, now.

20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    you shoulda gotten it from GOG. no DRM, and you get a TON of other stuff with it.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Shoulda gotten it in physical, even more stuff with it. :p
    Seriously though, I'm happy I preordered the epic edition. The only question is, where do I put the bust that comes with it? [face_thinking]

22. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    A bit too much stuff, I think. Can't say I really wanted any of it. :p

23. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I keep meaning to read the books. Does he get laid all the time in those too?

24. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Apparently they had to remove a part of the game for Australian distribution so that it would be eligible for classification. :p

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    These are the things I'm most looking forward to:
    Map - maps of fictional worlds are awesome.
    Game Guide - I love the Witcher books and I'm hoping there'll be some extra stuff in here.
    Artbook - I like art, and art based on books I love is always good.
    Dice Set - They seem like fun, and no one can ever have enough dice.
    Cards Guide - If I'm going to play the games in Witcher 2 I'm going to need to know the rules.
    Temerian Coin - I've decided I like collecting foreign coins, though only the lowest denomination coin, eg $1 and such.
    Playing cards - Everyone should have several packs of playing cards.

I can't remember. They're well worth getting though.