main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist TheOnlyJediPrincess's Illustrations Backlash Comic adaptation (may 5)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TheOnlyJediPrincess, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    I took FF sggestion and did Ben Skywalker in Bloodlines, Where he is listening to Jacen torture Ailyn. it's sill a W.I.P. I don't know how exactlly I would like the eyes. I don't know if I want them closed and crnging or open and kind of spaced off. His hands are very ruff. I had thought at one point that he would be acually looking at them, but desided aggenstit. if any one has any suggestions on what I can do better or any ideas, I would live to here them.

Ben Skywalker

Thanks

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    **is embarassed**

[face_beatup]

Wow--I actually suggested this same scene to AG88, who finished and posted a painting about it today! Guess I really wanted everyone to have a go at it! But hey: the best part is that you both have very different views going on, and that's something that's always a treat!

Now, to the sketch: I love that he's sitting on the floor here--I can really see that he might eventually slump down, under the weight of his anguish and horror. The hands are beautifully drawn, though I think if he were actually looking at them, his face would be turned more toward them. I like the posture here--there's a definite sag to it, but also a deep tension--this figure is all tied up inside, it's evident in the body language. As to the eyes, I think the shaping of the brows is the key: their shape and positioning will show, more than the positioning of the gaze, what sort of emotional state he's actually in. Ben isn't quite old enough to have a really good "mask" for his emotions yet--he's probably gotten a good start, being Darth Jacen's apprentice--but I think we'd still see it on his face in this situation.

Geez, this is so great! I love seeing different visualizations of characters and scenes! It's going to be a wonderful piece when you finish it!

FF

3. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Very nice work. What a weird coincidence that we both are doing the same scene at the same time. Of course I think we both got our inspiration from FalconFan. :p

I reread that scene and it said he was staring at his hands as he heard the cries and thuds within the interrogation room. So I would think he would be looking at his hands. But since you have him looking to the side a bit that would work also because in the book he is looking at his hands and then Girdum and Shevu appear in the hall, and Ben looks toward them and tells them Jacen is in the interrogation room. So it is all good.

If I had to vote on it I would say having him have a faraway look would be good because it shows he is dazed and thinking of what is happening in the other room

Great work on this. I can't wait to see it completed.

AG88

4. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    FF - Don't worry about being embarassed. it's ok. I like to see other people's inturpretations. And this scene is a very powerful scene with lots of emotion. and thanks for the advise with the eyes it helped out a lot. Thanks for stopping bye.

AG88- Thanks for stopping bye to take a look. I think I had to read that scene about five times befor I deside exactly what I wanted to do.

So now I have the finished work. I hope you all like it. I'm not too happy with the hands but I'm never happy with hands that I draw. I have lerned that, just because I'm not happy with them, dosn't mean there bad. And thanks again to FF for giving me the Idea.

Ben Skywalker

Enjoy!

5. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Nicely done! =D= I know I stated in AG88's thread that it was perfectly depicted, but this is just as fantastic. I like how I get two different feelings from each piece. In your depiction, It comes across to me like he's in a daze or state of utter disbelief of what is occuring. It's almost as If I can hear him saying "What have I done" or perhaps "Why don't/didn't I do something". That's how it speaks to me at any rate - and it's not easy to get something like that across in a drawing, to have it pull you in and 'talk' to you.

Hands are tricky aren't they? I can never figure out where to put nor place them myself. I think it may have been all the more difficult in this case because of the angle you've chosen, but I do believe it turned out pretty well. The ony one I hold in question is perhaps his left hand (the one on the right from our view). The last three digits are smigde too long and the way they go off to the side looks awkward. I think they should look more curled inwards to the palm (just try holding out your hands in a similar fashion right in front of you, then flip them over and maybe you'll see what I mean?) Great lighting & shading and wonderful work on drawing the folds in his clothing. :)

- Suz ^_~

6. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, wow... The expression on his face...gives me shivers! =D= A beautiful job, TOJP!! I agree with Your_Worship that the shading and contrasts are wonderful--and I think she has a point about the fingers (I'm struggling right now with hands in my own work, so I can totally sympathize! **sighs**)--really, though, this doesn't detract (for me anyway) from the impact of the piece: we can see by his face that he's deeply upset, and the posture of the figure adds to this. Amazing job--well, well done!

=D=

FF

7. Vandalier

Vandalier Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2006
    lol

Good job!

He has that look that asks "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!" It's the same look those kids across the street have when the cops look in their direction.

8. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    Y_W - Thanks for stopping by. I'm very glad you like the drawing. I did want him to have that "Oh My God, what have I gotten into" look after all my debating on how I wanted him to look. after I read your sujestion oabout the hand I went back and looked at them and I would have to agree. the one hand dose have really long fingers. Thanks again.

FF - WOW. I really glad that you like it. thank you for all your suggestions and advise. I always look forwerd to your feedback. I never realized that my artwork could give people "shivers." thanks a lot!

Vandalier - LOL. Thank you.

9. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I love the expression on his face. Is it charcoal? The hair looks good, too.

10. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    SilSolo - Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you like it. I like to use an ebony pencel. I like useing it better then Charcoal. it's just my personal prefrence.

Thanks

TOJP

11. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    I took a picture of Leia that I had drawen earlier and colored it with photoshop. I have reacently learned how to color with photoshop, and this is one of my first attemps at coloring with Photoshop. I hope you enjoy it.

Princess Leia ESB

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "Oh PRETTY!!"

My first words, out loud, when this popped up! Wow--is this really one of your first times coloring? The colors are beautiful, and the skintones are just right--lovely! I think my only suggestion for future work like this would be to experiment with some deeper tones in the shadows (think "more contrast")--it'll give the contours of the face/figure more volume, and make it pop a bit more. Wow, that's pretty! And such a great likeness, too (I have a terrible time drawing Leia myself)! Gosh, if this is your initial result coloring in PS, I'm really anxious to see your work a week or a month from now--it'll be awesome!! :D

This goes into the Challenge Thread, too--yes? One of the topics is Leia!

FF

13. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    Thanks so much FF. Yes this is one of my first times coloring with PS. I Have always been told that I have an eye for putting things together. When ever my mom in putting fabrics together for a quilt she is making she always asks me what she should use. I think it is because I used to paint a lot. Thanks a lot on the advise. I will defanently keep it in mind while I work on other pictures. I did put it in the challange. that is why I picked this picture to work with. Thanks so much for stopping by and looking.

TOJP

14. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Wow! I love the soft-like coloring and you made it by PS! You are such a talent!

15. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    NLSkywalker- thanks very much. it's nice to hear that because this was the first picture I did with PS. So thanks very much.

16. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    Here is just a quick drawing from the book Tempest. don't worry it won't give anything away. hope you enjoy.

Allana Djo

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, sweet face!! Hide, little one! [face_worried]

I really like the expression on her face, TOJP--just as I imagined it when I read this part of the book! Now you need to show the horror on her daddy's face as he sees her peering out like this... **hint-hint!** Her body proportions might be a little off, for a child of four (head a touch big, arm a bit small), but this is minor. Nice shading, and even with the simple environment, for those having read the narrative, this is a wonderful capture of that scene! Great work! **really wishes she could work faster...sigh**

FF

18. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    I'm glad you like her face, it took me a few tries to get the way I wanted it. but i didn't spend that much time on the whole picture. I was a very quick drawing.

As for drawing Jacen. Hmmmm......(pondering [face_thinking]"How should I go about that?") that might take a little more time. I have to finish my Christmas presents first. painting wine glasses has been taking up a lot of my drawing time. I'll post pics of them when I'm done.

19. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Nice drawing. That was a great scene. Is it just me, or does anybody else find it funny that a four year old girl takes down the mean, evil, jedi-killing assassin that was giving Jacen a run for his money? LOL!! She takes after her Mama!!

AG88

20. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Touch it up a bit, get a 50x50 cut, and make this into an icon!

21. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Leia looks wonderful! Good job for first time around. The shade of her lipstick really jumps out at me and I like the highlights you added to her hair, I'd just suggest you play around with brushes, Opacity levels, & the smudge tool so that it the paint lines don't appear to be so clear. You're going to get hooked on PS, just wait and see!

Allana Djo - Aw, she's darling! :) I like how you can see her child-like innocence, not just in her expression, but also the way her body is positioned peering around wall. I also like how you stylelized her hair (thick braids?), and it's nice to see some artwork of her as well - I have no idea what she's supposed to look like because I haven't read any of the new books...though I am aware of some of the story and could care less about being spoiled. :p - With that said, I enjoy your interpretation of the scene and of little Allana.

- Suz ^_~

22. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    academygrad88- LOL! She dose take after her mom. Thanks looking!

SilSolo - Hmm... an Icon. I like it. I will have to work on that. Thanks.

Your_Worshipfulness - Thanks for your sujestions on Leia. I have been playing more on PS and I have learned some new things as I go. It's amazing all the things a person can do on PS. I think I only know about 30% of all there is.

I have gotten a lot of good feed back on Allana. it was a quick drawing that I did. I glad that everyone likes it. I got the idea for her hair from the younger Tenel Ka. Like mother, Like Doughter, in more ways then one! Thanks for stopping by.

23. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Hey TOJP! I really like your heavier pencil work - especially the Harrison Ford/ Han solo ones. The heavy contrasts really create depth!

24. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    rocketscientist- Thanks. those are some of my older works. the Indeana Jones drawing is my pride and joy. *sigh* I should take more art classes.

25. TheOnlyJediPrincess

Jul 11, 2006
    Here are some new art work I have done. The Wine Glasses I did as gift for a friend of mine. The Davey Jones was done on 18x24 paper, it also took me a few days to complete it. I'm very proud of this one :D! I had help scaniing it into the computer. he scaned it in four peaces and put it together like a puzzle. so props to him.

Wine Glasses

Marasiah Fel

Davy Jones

Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.