main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist This and That -- A different kind of Mara Jade

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ceillean, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great way to start Ceil but I really thought you'd start with Kyp LOL

[face_love]

Shirtless to boot.

=P~

;)

*hugs!!*

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great pose and a very good drawing=D==D=

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    =D= Lovely.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Baby steps is definitely a good way to start!

You definitely have something going for you here! The likeness is very good and the way you have it setup suggests that maybe you plan to add color? If not, it still stands great on its own! Nice job! :)

6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Great stuff, even though my favourite piece of yours is the sweet daughter of yours.

;)

The people of the Jedi Con 2010 in Düsseldorf also thought that so someboy did a photo of the two of you. That photo was to be seen at the good-bye party on Easter Monday.

[face_dancing]

Anyway, it was great that you were able to stop buy and help us at the stand of the GSFF.

:D

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/SW%20pictures/P4040035.jpg]

7. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    So, I got bored and came up with this.

Jag & Jaina

BUT...this is as far as I can go. :(

Help is greatly appreciated. I have no clue how to draw decent looking hair and don't get me started on shades and the like. *sighs*

8. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    That's a pretty good start and can feel the emotion between the two.

For hair... what I do is a long process and usually strand by strand with some artworks but to sum it up roughly: I study how the hair is flowing/styles and the tones. You can make out basic shapes to how the hair comes together and break it down into the basic shapes (curves, waves, the parting). Drawing those shapes and with in them are where the direction of the lines you do for the hair follow.

Shading... I break it down into sections again and different pencils (2B-6B). Which ones do you usually use?

Hopefully that is helpful and I am happy to go more indepth and show examples if you wish. :)

9. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I could try to help you with colouring it in with GIMP. (Layers qft!)
    But I have no clue about drawing so there. [face_blush]

10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Lanna, I heard that!

[face_shame_on_you]

And for somebody who constantly claims to be a low life form, you are a very creative and talented person.

[:D]

As for Ce: sorry that my muse leaves me mute and without many ideas these days. When I am not ill, I a stressed with finding a new teacher position for next school year or have to round up stuff at my current school. And in the weekend I am ill anyway, for I give too much during the week. Mostly 120%. But I try your Kyp as soon as I am better & my life is not a roller coaster any more.

11. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Jag and Jaina are looking good! I love the pose. So cute.

As for drawing hair and shading... I have some advice if you still need/want any. First, you need to figure out where the light is coming from. I'd suggest from the top, and from the front, so that the shadows are thrown away from us, if that makes sense?

Then you need to figure out the "flow" of the hair. For Jag, that's easier, since his hair is so short; Jaina's is more complicated. It usually helps me to sketch in the shape of the head before I layer hair over it; that way I know where it needs to be. If her hair is caught up in a bun, it'll curve up at the back. You have it right at the front, where it's pulled back from her temples, but at the moment it looks like it's all going in exactly the same direction; tied-up hair doesn't do that.

You could also try to make the hairline less severe on Jaina's neck; you can soften it by using individual pencil strokes for the hair, for example, to make it look more realistic.

I've uploaded a really really rough sketch on which I've indicated the direction of hair flow, and also where the shading needs to be if the light is coming from the front. The red lines are the outlines of their heads. I don't know if it'll help, but I figured I'd throw it up here anyway, just in case: http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy228/svenjaliv/jaina-jag-suggestions.jpg

Ignore the part where I tried to sketch Jaina's bun; that's probably not great. But yeah, I hope some of this helps. I hope you're not offended or anything by what I've said - I really like this sketch, I think it'll turn out really well, and I'd love to see the finished version!

12. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    Loved it, Ceil! Great expression and tenderness. How old do you picture J/J here? [face_thinking]

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    love the pose and sweetness between the characters.

Have you tried working with watercolours or coloured pencils. Oilpaint or acrylic paint is great for doing hair too. And for skin and textures:)

14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    So today, I sat down and started drawing again. I haven't picked up a pencil in a while. I should thank Iverna for this.

[:D]

Anyway, since we're now allowed to post stuff that has nothing to do with Star Wars, I figured I'd show you this.

I'm freakishly proud of it. [face_love]

[image=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/Ceillean/img033.jpg]

Ah..ignore the date there. Guess I'm still one year behind. :rolleyes:

15. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Yay, new drawings! [face_dancing] It looks awesome. Your shading is coming along really well! It looks very real, very 3D. And pretty! You totally should be proud of it! [:D]

(And oh, wow, I do that with the date all the freaking time. On drawings, my journal, ... [face_laugh])

16. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Thank you, Iverna! [:D]

But...you know the problem with being a perfectionist... :p I woke up this morning, took a look at the drawing and all I could see were mistakes! [face_laugh]

Still, I'm happy with the outcome. I've never drawn with shading like this before. :)

So yay.

17. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm really getting into this again. [face_laugh]

It's not done yet but I want to start over so I thought I'd simply post the half finished version of some future Jedi dude. :p

[image=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/Ceillean/someguy036.jpg]

18. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Ohhh, I like this one! I'm really impressed with the shading on his nose. And the eyes look awesome! At the moment his ower lip is looking a bit narrow, though; usually the lower one's bigger than the top one. But obviously it's not finished, so maybe it's right like that, I don't know. Just figured I'd point it out. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished! [:D]

19. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Why invest hundreds of dollas in art classes when you've got youtube? [face_laugh]

Everything I've learned in the past few days, I got from youtube tutorials. How amazing is this?
    Never in a million years would I have even thought it possible, that I could draw something like this.

[image=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/Ceillean/someguy2039.jpg]

I left out hair because I can't draw hair.

Yet. :p

His lips are better now. He doesn't have girly lips anymore.

I'm happy with this. And I'm going to leave it as it is because my reference pic is pretty dark towards the left side of his face. Too many different shades of dark. And I used Henry Cavill as a reference. Doesn't look anything like him but who cares? :p

Next I'm going to give Jag a try. And then Jaina.

*takes deep breath*

I'll do that tomorrow. ^^

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And he is very nice and realistic. A perfect drawing.=D=

21. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Online tutorials are awesome, aren't they? Gotta love the internet!

And I really like the drawing! I can actually see Henry Cavill in there as well. His lips turned out well after! As did the rest of him. You did a great job with the shading, and the proportions are exactly right as well. Very cool indeed! =D=

I'm looking forward to seeing your take on Jag and Jaina. [face_dancing]

22. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Thank you earlybird! I'm still totally awed by the fact that the drawing turned out so well. [face_love]

I have this problem now of lowering my standards. Because this picture turned out so great, I want the other drawings to be this good too and I think it's created a sort of block...

I tried another drawing last night and failed miserably. *sighs*

See...writing is easier! [face_laugh]

23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Dang, I missed your latest posts... which is even worse than missing MsLanna/ Etain on skype.

Your pencil creates a dream like quality for the SW characters that you do. Well done!

24. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Mara Jade -- Past & Future (Art Challenge Entry)

[image=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/Ceillean/MaraPastandFuture040.jpg]

I know the proportions aren't right when you compare the two faces but meh...when I realized it, I didn't feel like correcting it.

25. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    I kind of hate you right now. :p Not really I just wish I could draw like that. Lol.

I adored the mara Skull picture as well as the OC picture. He was weird looking without his hair but his face was amazing!

As for the eye. It was really well done and very realistic looking.

Brava!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.