main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well it's on one of the versions in my dvd set. Wikipedia says in the tv version they were arrested and that it was included in the 2006 Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, so I guess it's that version.

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It only means this move is more toyetic than Singer's. Then again even Schindler's List was more toyetic than Superman Returns.

4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Are you kidding me? I remember buying the Kryptonian Landmass action figure. That was a blast!

5. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    True that, because you're guaranteed to have Superman punch something or someone.

6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I will never for the life of me understand why this is such a priority for people. A Superman slugfest always strikes me as one of the most boring and uninspired uses of the character ever.

DarthLowBudget and Life like this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wanted an NC-17 version so we could see Superman murder Zod and his followers in horrifically Bad Lieutenantesqe ways.

8. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    But you gotta admit, it's a hell of a lot better than Superman being a deadbeat dad/stalker.

9. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Not really. I don't hate SR like everyone else. It wasn't perfect but I prefer introspective character study over mindless brawny brawls.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I need some X-Kryptonite.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Sorry, to be a deadbeat dad you have to know you have a kid. Does not fit the definition.

12. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    That part at the end where he tells his kid, "Life's gonna be tough for you, so long and good luck" doesn't count?

13. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    He gave the same speech his father gave him about being different and left the house he doesn't live in. He didn't abandon the child.

14. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree with Spider-Fan. Besides which, if you want to watch Superman punch things on film, watch the theatrical cut of Superman II and watch Superman IV. Have fun. Funny how the ones where the punching were the focus, they became mindless goofy slapstick romps for the kids.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah count me in the "don't hate SR crowd". It was a loving homage to the Donner films and whilst it's misguided as it's own entity (plus unsure of it's identity) the fact that a film could be made that so lovingly refers to other films made 25 years prior is an achievement.

Though the suit looked so much better recoloured as red rather than mauve.

16. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    I'd rather have SR than not have it... I've certainly watched worse.

P.S. It's good to be back on the JC Forums! :cool:

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I dislike how muted it all looks. I'll still see it, I just don't think I'm a big fan of the visual style.

19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Apparently, Kryptonians are not immune to receding hairlines. :p

[​IMG]

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This film reveals that even on Krypton, young Kal-El was a special child, whose birth was cause for alarm on his home planet.
    [face_plain]

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  21. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Messianic Plotting!!! Yeah! [face_plain]

True, but I also prefer introspective character studies that have something worth saying in that character study. SR is more of a somber stroll around Singer's memories of seeing the original film as a child than it is a character

I don't, there are plenty of movies (most of them these days) that refer to other movies. Homage has been a key ingredient in cinema going back, at the very least, to Sunset Boulevard. Many of those films have also managed to do interesting things with those homages, like the aforementioned Sunset Boulevard's deconstruction of celebrity, or Chinatown's reconfiguration of the private detective as a fundamentally useless force in society, or Brian De Palma's synthesis of Hitchcock's methods to comment on the schizoid voyeur society that was developing at the time.

I suppose in a world of defanged slasher remakes, Superman Returns might seem admirable, but at the end of the day it is simply a well-shot that, while lacking purpose, is not completely terrible, but ultimately has little to recommend it other than that.

22. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Why does everyone want to turn him into Jesus?! He doesn't need to be a messianic figure to still be powerful and moving. IMO the better way to portray the character is to humanize him as much as possible.

Rox likes this.
  23. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm fond of the messianic symbolism they give him in the Donner/Singer films. I like the idea of him as an outsider looking in, taking an observational role toward us as humans. It's my favourite element of his character. And no matter how much they choose to focus on that aspect, they can't get away from the fact that he was raised by human parents, so I see no risk of making him too alien either. Especially as his earth parents are in all versions of his story portrayed as the ones who instilled his values and morals in him, so he is actually taking the best aspects of humanity and giving it back. At the same time, he is trying to inspire and guide humans to be better, so he automatically takes on a role of outsider as well. Perhaps comparable to the life of a Jedi. In some ways they are among and a part of society, but in other ways they are separate from and observers of it. Since this is a Star Wars forum, I found it the easiest parallel to compare to.
    That said, I like the messianic aspect as a symbolic element, not a literal fulfilment of prophecy.

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I wasn't very happy about reading that either. The messiah bullcrap has been done to death.

25. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Apparently it's not a messianic thing, apparently it's more in line the John Byrne kryptonian genetic engineering thing.