main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Thrawn Fans Unite !!!!! (v 2.0)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Lordban, Apr 5, 2001.

1. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Indeed it is

2. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    If there hallowed halls of EU are empty enough to have echoes, there's sure something wrong with them. :p

3. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hello there! :D

A somewhat disturbing thought came to me a couple of days ago: What indications do we have that Thrawn actually likes art?
    I mean, the only book where he bought some artwork was in Tatooine Ghost (which wasn't by Zahn). Apart from that, we see Thrawn staring at art in order to learn how his adversary thinks. Are there more indicators that Thrawn enjoys art? Or is art a mere tool for him?

I know a lot of romance in fanfictions heavily relies on the girl dropping the line "oh, and I like art" and ZOMG! - Thrawn's interest is sparked. Since I'm thinking about writing a Thrawn fanfic, I kinda started wondering. With Thrawn, nothing ever is as it seems.... *dam-dam-dam: sound of ominous music*.

Soooo, what do you think?

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Oh, I like the idea! [face_mischief] :D
    The possibilities! [face_hypnotized]
    And of course, should Zomgy the art-liking girl give hime some art as present it'd be like giving a blender to a houswife. *lol*
    If you think you can pull it off, do so. [face_batting]

The question I now have is, if art is not his 'hobby' what is? Everybody needs something to do for recreation. [face_thinking]

5. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I would argue that Thrawn's first appearance counters your theory:

If art is a mere tool, it wouldn't much matter to him if he has the originals or not, would it?

6. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Good point!

Then again, that is what Pellaeon thinks he has heard. In Choices of One, there's some line more or less like: "Senior Captain Thrawn was crazy about art." But that's also what others think.

But you've convinced me.
    It just seems strange to me that someone like Thrawn would have such an obvious (and apparently widely known) obsession with something.

@ Mel: My OC is never going to utter that line.

7. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Who's Mel and she never said your OC should utter anything. ;)
    Also, just because it's probably not canon, it's not a reason not to do it. It's fanfic. To hell with canon. :p

Somehow I feel the urge to write such a scene now. Thrawn getting a piece of art as present, being unhappy about it and chasingafter the offender, trying to hit him/her over the head with it. [face_hypnotized]

8. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Oh, but I think you should still write the fic. :D That idea has great humorous potential. And the great thing is that, because Zahn never writes Thrawn from Thrawn's perspective- you can have all kinds of fun with twisting around others' interpretations to blow everybody's minds.

Doesn't Pellaeon have a gardening obsession in like, ONE book of NJO? Maybe all Imperial commanders just have to find their little niche to survive the chaos... ;)

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    One thing that writers often forget is that characters are people--of course they have hobbies outside of work. Imperial officers don't spend all their time on the job: Imperial Star Destroyers have large recreational facilities, and the commanders have a luxury command suite. I'm sure the crewers have some sort of off-duty pub where they can layabout, and the officers would have their own facilities. Maybe they have a choir or a theatre group on board some vessels? Use imagination. Write real people, not stilted archetypes.

Thrawn spent time at the Imperial Court. He was bound to encounter a lot of people who liked art. A simple interest in art, while it might serve to start a conversation, wouldn't spark interest in a person all on its own. Thrawn is a complicated person, not just some convenient romantic tool. Yes, "nothing is as it seems"--but few people, in general, are so one-note as all that. Perhaps Thrawn only considers a "full package." Most people generally do--there might be common interests, but inevitably there's disappointment or a turn off somewhere.

10. Etain

May 11, 2008
    What I like about Thrawn (though not always when writing him) is how he always might have/does have another set of reasons from what you think you finally figured out. 8-} It was kinda obvious in Crisis of Faith, but it is fun to find a different set of reasons that also works out.

The problem with Imperial hobbies is that you enver really get to see any. It's not like holo decks ot 10 Forward in ST which are part of what you see on screen. All Imperial privacy happens off stage. The one thing we get to see (that I remember) is the luxury suite of the commander of a Star Destroyer. That still leaves it up to us to wonder how much the accommodsation for other high officers differs from that.

Somehow an ISD is a small city, but you forget that so easily. [face_blush]

11. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    [face_laugh] You're right - exactly 1 book! That came out of the blue in the NJO, too.

I have to admit I'm slightly confused now. *re-reads posts* I wanted to consider the possibility that Thrawn doesn't like art that much, but I wasn't going to include it in my fic, because I'm fairly sure he likes it.

But dang it! - you are giving me a terrible case of plot bunnies!
    Thrawn dislikes art, had to force himself to learn a bit about it to make small-talk at court, now receives an artwork as a gift. The only reason why he regretted not having any originals was because he wanted to smash them in his special recreational room. Unfortunately this piece of art, being a gift from an important person, can not be smashed by him.... [face_hypnotized] 8-}

And of course everyone needs a hobby and some unhealthy obsession. :)

Thrawn just didn't strike me as the kind of person who would let his hobby be known. I mean, if it really was public knowledge in the fleet that Thrawn likes art, there would have been a very simple solution to the Thrawn Crisis: Ask an Imperial deserteur now serving in the New Republican Army about Thrawn. Learn about his liking of art. Arrange an auction a la "Killik Twilight". Wait for Thrawn to show. Snatch him! (Now that's assuming he will come in person. But he did just that for "Killik Twilight".)
    To me, Thrawn is someone who likes to keep everything about himself a mystery. The fewer facts his enemies can gather about him, the better. He's not very open to his friends, either.

Admittedly, the fact that he has such a hobby makes him an interesting villain.

12. Merlyn_Gabriel

Merlyn_Gabriel Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Jello... exactly.

13. Merlyn_Gabriel

May 28, 2005
    uh... so now that we've been told that Darth Maul is going to be resurrected in TCW does this mean we can have Thrawn back too???

14. Etain

May 11, 2008
    I am all for it.
    With Zahn writing him, please. [face_batting]
    I see problems inserting him back later in the EU, so I'd like more stuff about the times in the Unknwon Regions.
    Where do we send the wishlist? [face_laugh]

15. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    A new infinities series would be nice. :D *imagines Zahn on an epic quest to rewrite the entire EU*

16. neila_nuruodo

neila_nuruodo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2002

I like it! He'd do a far better job too I dare say. No more Crystal Star and Darksaber nonsense. :p

And I totally agree about the whole "keeping it on the down-low" thing, I think if Thrawn truly cares about something he's not typically going to let on that he does because of political enemies and people who would love to make his life hell because he's not human. Hard to say whether that would have applied to Pellaeon at the time. They certainly seem to develop a pretty good relationship but that happens near the beginning. And of course if he found art a really useful tool it would be easy to act like it was his major hobby even if he didn't take this particular aspect of work home.

17. Merlyn_Gabriel

May 28, 2005
    amen!!!

18. Merlyn_Gabriel

May 28, 2005
    of course I'm biased but I'd love to see a Thrawn stand alone without any Luke, Leia or Han. Learn more about what shaped him into the person he became.

19. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    A book of his exile would be an interesting read. Well worth the money in my mind as well.

20. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Now we just have to convince Timothy Zahn...[face_thinking]

Heck, I'd even settle for a short story or novella, just as long as it is a Thrawn stand-alone. I'm not too picky. :p

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So long as it's good, I think it'd be interesting to see Thrawn's Imperial Court shenanigans and his feigned exile from Coruscant.

22. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Agreed. That could make for an awesome read.

What IS there of Thrawn post-Outbound Flight but pre-OT (besides Mist Encounter)?

23. Merlyn_Gabriel

May 28, 2005
    oh wouldn't that be fun!

24. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm back :D

No I wouldn't like to see Thrawn in that stupid Clone Wars 3D series. They already contradict the movies and most of the books, and Thrawn would be too complicated to understand for the public they are targeting (children)... I told that to Mr Zahn (on Facebook) who was telling me that he would be happy to see Thrawn in CW3D. He said the children would understand him just fine, but well. I hope it will never happen >_<

In CW3D they say that twi'leks and human can interbreed, while it's said everywhere (X-wings book series, encyclopedias, Republic commando novels...) that they cannot have children together... in CW3D they say that mandalorians are pacifists and have a queen, blahblah... I'm sure they would only show Thrawn as a villain who would be outsmarted by Ashoka or R2D2! -_- because they always win...

25. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I think Thrawn vs. Artoo would be a showdown of epic proportions...

:p