main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tie Pilot/501st costume thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Anrev_the_Jedi, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Beltayn...sorry about the phone call! I took Sunday AND Monday's "stupid pills" and this is what happens...ask the guys, (just not BMack...he'll talk your ear off)

Kim... [face_love] (nuff said)

Bret..."Also I am going to be ordering Cog patches for us this week"
    Order mine and Emily's and RoP cast will have pizza on me this week! Cool?

2. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    That's cool like 3 little Fonzies to me. :D

3. Beltayn

Beltayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    It's all good, Geoff

4. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I got my boots today :D
    I think I need to clean them up a bit.
    But they are that cobblestone finish--does anyone know? Can you just polish them like normal shoes (after cleaning them, of course)?

And if anyone else orders them, the do tend to run small. Geoff, I might not suggest this one for you, buddy. The calf might be too tight for you. And one other word--insoles. :p

5. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Don't worry Kim...I was frelled when Emily pointed out they only ran up to a size 10! I haven't been able to fit into that since junior high ;)

And the search continues...

6. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Was Em able to pick any up?

7. Beltayn

Jan 21, 2004
    Ever thought of getting biker harness boots?

The ones I used to own (waaay back in the 80's) were steel-toed, oil-resistant soled, with three straps and metal rings on the ankles. Back then I think I paid about $40.00. They don't have the upper strap, and if you remove the rings and lower straps, they look pretty much like jackboots / TIE boots.

Nowadays, you might end up paying more for them. There are also some biker / medieval stores online that sell decent boots. Also, if you want HIGH quality boots- a bit pricy, but hey, you get what you pay for- try CA Boots. I bought my stormtrooper and biker scout boots from them (which reminds me- I need to find out where the latter is!).

8. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    They don't have the upper strap, and if you remove the rings and lower straps, they look pretty much like jackboots / TIE boots.
    That's sounds alot like the boots Wal-Mart has (Bret found them mentioned on omega Wing, or something like that) That was my 1st choice...until everyone got serious about it having to be "cannon" I don't mind customizing them for look the part, Bret's boot for RoP looks alot like the ones I'm eyeing...so Friday I can get your professional opinion on them.

We're fine...we're all fine here, now, thank you...how are you?"

Everything is going to work out juuuuust fine!

9. Beltayn

Jan 21, 2004
    I've got a bunch of stuff I'll bring tommorow for costumes. I talked with Bret earlier about the boots- they should work. I'll even bring mine along and you can see what they look like!

10. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Bought my vinyl material today for my Mara suit :D
    And I got shinguards/knee pads that yesterday from Play it again sports. I'm going to have to do a bit of work on them, though. There's not enough distance between the shin and the knee guard since they're hockey equipment. And they come up too fan on the shin.

11. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    Your redoing the Mara suit?! I thought that one looked fine. Even with the zipper. What all metal pieces do you need? Belt buckle I know.

12. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I'll have to send you a couple of pics on e-mail ;)

13. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Got em Kim.

Mike Your helmet is ready for you. Em yours is up next. Actually I've already started on yours but your will be done next. Geoff I havent started on yours yet. I am looking at my glue situation to decide what will work best. I am thinking glue with some wire mesh in it for strength.

14. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    There's not enough distance between the shin and the knee guard since they're hockey equipment
    Tell me about it...try blocking slapshots with those things (I wasn't a goalie)

Whatever you think needs to be done to stabilize my helmet...I don't want to treat the thing like it's a egg (and could crack at anytime)

15. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    That's cool Bret...

and Kim, I ordered the ones from Sportsman Guide, they should be coming in anytime now! ( I hope they work)!

16. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    I picked up a pair of hoses today for you Krash or Em. $13 each. Just Pay me when you can. :D

17. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Excellent, Em :D I hope they fit fine.

And I'll pay you next time I see you Bret for all my stuff. ;)

18. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    OK I ordered all the cogs today. Patches and decals. Should be here in a week or so.

19. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    This was written by TK/TI 5050 (Rory Gentry) of Bloodfin Garrison. If you have any questions please feel free to contact him. His e-mail can be located in the 501st members profile.

CHEST BOX

A basic list of materials needed to begin construction of a Mark 2 TIE chest box as used by Acro Engineering and Mu'Dai Manufacturing.

From Radio Shack:
    1- Project Box 8x6x3 #2701809
    1- Project Box 8x3x1 #2701808
    1- SPST Push on/off switch #2750011
    1- E5 Lamp Holders(2) #2720340 (may have a new catalog number)
    1- 6V (or 12V) Submini Screw type Lamps (2) #2721142

From Lowes:
    2 - 2" PVC Test Caps

From Menards:
    1- Wellington 10'x3m 1" Black Nylon Webbing #83755
    1- Wellington 1" Side Release Buckle Kit #82904

From Hobbytown USA:
    2- 62 Tooth 32 Pitch Gear #247
    any 62 tooth radio control gears will work.

Now for the rest, there are various nuts, bolts, screws, washers, plexi-glass, wood, 2" PVC pipe, wire, adhesives, Bondo, primer, black, white, red, and blue gloss paints, half round and flat white styrene trim, 200/300/400 grit sandpaper, ect. which are needed and have a cost involved but between Quag and I, we have most of this stuff left over that we can let you use and work out the cost later. However, we never, ever have enough sandpaper so please feel free to buy some.

====================================

CHEST HOSES

Home Depot:
    Plumbshop model # PS2466
    Corrugated drain hose
    1.5" diameter x 30 long
    See the hose on Plumbshop's website: catalog.plumbshop.com/Def...x?CatID=M2 You will need TWO of these hoses if you want to use the coupling that comes attached to one end of it.

If you want to match the couplings that come with the Plumbshop hose, use this item from Menards (or something similar):
    PlumbPak item #PP955 1 ½? Slip Joint Nut (1 per package, you'll need 2)

FLIGHT SUIT

From Brookes:
    5402 N. College Ave. Indianapolis, Indiana (S/W corner of 54th and College)
    317-255-8368.
    Their flight suits went up to 5X and cost $40.00 each. You pay $20.00 when you order and the rest when it comes in.

-or, another option-

www.outinstyle.com
    Carries sizes x-small to xxxxx-large

You will also need to procure two Imperial logo patches for the shoulders of your flight suit.

BELT

From Tandy Leather:
    Meadowoods Center (same shopping strip as McGilvery's Pub and a Pizza Hut delivery)
    3087 N. High School Rd.
    Speedway, Indiana 46224
    317-347-9954
    toll free 866-609-2978
    fax 317-347-9954

The belt and buckle blank you want is the same 2" one as used by Imperial Officers and such. It is belt #44518-00 which is $15.99 (It's on sale right now for $13.59) and buckle is the 2" rectangle #1168800 for $2.59 approx. Remember, the belt comes in a natural brown leather and must be dyed or painted with a flexible black (spray for car bumper) paint.

BOOTS

From WalMart:
    Herman Survivors S/T Engineer II boots. They cost around $45.00 to $50.00.

HELMET INFO

Quick overview of licensed helmets:

Don Post Deluxe....................................Top of the line
    Altmans
    Don Post Classic Action
    Don Post Standard
    Rubies.....................................................Bottom

There are three Don Post classification of helmets. The Standard, The Classic Action, and the Deluxe. The Classic action is a little larger than the standard and a little more solid. The deluxe is the top of the line and is a fibre glass helmet that was released on a limited quantity. The standard Don Post Tie will run you between 50.00 and 80.00. The CA's have been going for between 120.00 and 200.00. The deluxe would probably be an outrageous price. The Don Post Deluxe would probably be the best of the best.

As far as plastic/vinyl helmets go, the Altmans is probably the best. They are molded well and have a great paint job. Based on the Dollar in Australia right now the Altmans Tie is

20. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    CHEST BOX/ARMOR - Working on that part.

CHEST HOSES - Have these exact ones.

FLIGHT SUIT - Got it. Patches on the way.

BELT - Ditto

BOOTS - Just need to mod them.

HELMET - Well we all have Rubies here. I havn't seen anything BUT Rubies so I can't compare them. I think they look just fine.

DECALS - Installed.

OTHER STUFF

Code cylinders and arm comm. Got them both.

21. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    :eek:

Ok Anrev...you are really on the ball with all this...all I have right now is my helmet (that you have) and the boots...

22. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Pfft that's nothing...I have nothing as of yet. I'm soooo freakin' behind...

/mopes in corner

23. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    No Em you have patches, Decals and hoses too.

Dont worry Will. Youll catch up.

24. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, Will. It's not like this is a quick project. And there are so many of us that Bret's so nicely willing to help--but he can't do all of us at once. ;) So you have time.

25. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Did someone clunk me on the head? I'm seeing stars!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.