main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tie Pilot/501st costume thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Anrev_the_Jedi, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    We were all talking about this last nite at the filming (before we knew what they didnt like) and the only thing we could think of was the saber hilt. But not everyone can afford a parks saber or even a Luke ANH saber. How can he tell the cape is the wrong material from a pic? Shin guards eh? Thats easy to fix.

[image=http://www.starwarsautographcollecting.com/Autographs/ExpandedUniverseAutographs/MaraJade.jpg]
    OK I see what he was saying about the cape I think. I'll make you a belt buckle if you want. Thats easy. As for this saber.
    [image=http://www.sithclan.net/custom/images/sabres/marajadeslightsaber.gif]
    I dont think Parks even makes this one any more. Its not listed on the site.

2. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. I talked with Farmer last night. He'll see what he can work out.

That would be great if you could make me a buckle! :D

I'm NOT wearing a pink cape! *goes to corner and pukes*

But I don't think that Wasko at 501st even looked at my pics with my new hilt. His complaints all seemed to stem from the pic from Zahn that I only submitted so that they could see the boots and shinguards.

*shrugs* We'll see.

EDIT: Oh! Bret. My Helmet with the warped base. Do you think we can fix that?
    I can send you photos if that would help. ;)

3. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    The cape looks light purple to me but that could be my computer. Yeah pink would suck. *smells Kims puke and projectile vomits across the room*

Also dont worry about the ears on the Tie helmet. Thats normal and can be fixed. They all come that way.

4. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Really? [face_shocked]
    Well, that's poor craftmanship! ;)

5. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Yup buts thats easy to fix.

6. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Excellent! :D
    YOu know, I don't really care at this point about 501st or not.
    If we can be a nice NE Ohio TIE group (since MIke is also doing TIE, I won't say JKOC ;)) and hang with Ohio Garrision also from time to time, I'm happy. :)
    I don't need the TK number. ;)

7. Beltayn

Beltayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    I just got my flight suit yesterday- it fits perfectly :D

It's also doing double-duty for my Biker Scout!

8. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Excellent! :D
    It's great when you get a two-for-one. ;)

9. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    I wondered if that'd work too. Cool! Cant wait to see the finished product!

10. Beltayn

Jan 21, 2004
    Ah...two for one...yeah, thats ALWAYS good [face_devil]

11. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I don't need the TK number.
    I would like one...I also want to take part in that group picture at Celebration III...but if I (we) have to fight every step of the way, I keep asking "is it worth it"

As for Michael (I told him already) that he can consider himself both part of Ohio Garrison and a member of Jedi Knights of Cleveland, according to "the code"...that goes for any of the guys who live around here. And it's not about any kind of "roleplaying"...we're all Star Wars fans, and we gotta stick together.

12. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Sure. I'd like one, too.
    *shrugs*

Anyways, I PM'd with Brad from OG and he said that the hemets could be fine if they're Rubies, but then the rest of the costume will be looked at more critically. I think (well, other than Bret's wonderful work on the helmets and chest armor/box) that the boots will be the sticky widget. Especially for us girls with smaller feet. German Jackboots (or their replicas) don't seem to come in women's sizes! [face_shocked]
    :p
    (Just to be clear, Brad wasn't being critical--just realistic as to what would be required for a number with 501st.)

Here are the reference links that Brad gave me (although I'm sure Bret already's looked at a LOT of stuff ;))
    EZboard

Helmets

Richie's Armor

And this site that I found:
    TIE pilot site
    he said was really good.

13. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Wow, just checked out the last site... I wonder where "fandom" ends and "insanity" begins...

14. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    wow...those sites are sweeeeet!!!

15. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    If anyone needs them for your TIE costume they're here.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=29202

Men's size 7-10, only $12.95.

16. Beltayn

Jan 21, 2004
    I've always been a straight shooter with people, and when people start to get me involved with things, then they've put me in a position where I'm going to say what needs to be said. Some folks may not like my candidness, but it's honest.

I just got involved with this SW costuming a few months ago (I was involved with LARP & medieval costuming before that). The 501st has standards that they put in place. These folks take pride in their costuming. I respect that. I also respect the fact that they want everyone who officially joins the 501st to make their outfits as canon as possible.

When I first ran across the 501st, I knew that I wanted to get involved. I also knew that I needed to put forth the time, effort and money to make a costume that would pass muster. I've never done anything half-a$$'d, and I wasn't about to start. I bought my armor, put it together (with much required and appreciated assistance), and was able to attend the Zahn book signing. Even then, I still didn't feel right- I was lucky that dang thing stayed together. My pics were taken, sent through the chain and I recieved my TK#.

I didn't join the 501st to get involved with politics or 'cliques' (believe me, I've been in several local groups who gave me good reason to avoid those types). I did it for the simple pleasure and enjoyment of building a costume, and wearing it. I've met some pretty decent folks since I joined the 501st, Ohio Garrison. I also want to take pride in not only building a costume- but doing it and meeting (or surpassing) a required standard.

This morning I got a call from someone on this board (I'm not going to embarrass anyone) while I was getting a backrub from my better half. Now, I'm not angered by this call- you wouldn't have known what I was doing anyways. While I understand the urgency of the situation, I also know that something needs to be said.

Now, I've watched on both this board, and the OG board some misunderstandings, and bad feelings (call it whatever you want- that's the way I see it) erupting over issues ranging from 'canon and not canon' to 'detachments & other groups'. If there's anything I'm getting annoyed with, it's the argueing, snide comments and hurt feelings. This crap needs to end- right here, right now.

Here's the bottom line: If you want to officialy join the 501st- MAKE your costume to THEIR standards. Don't sit there and complain about their standards, or pi$$ and moan about someone shooting down your ideas. Don't take it personal, either. Jon was concerned that I was angry over the 'campaign ribbons' thread- I wasn't in the slightest (one guy was a bit abrasive, but hey, my skin's thicker then that!). No big deal at all. You guys wanted to form a squadron; the OG doesn't want to split everything up (on an official level). If you're still stewing about that- LIVE WITH IT. Make an UNOFFICIAL squadron. No one is twisting anyones arm to join- if you think the standards are too high, or you feel the restrictions (what few there are) are too much to handle- then DONT join.

Believe it or not, those folks on the OG board are trying to work with everyone. Even if you're NOT a member of the 501st- everyones always welcome to hang out and troop with them! No one is paying membership fees; the 501st is just a group of like-minded people who get together and enjoy a common interest of SW costuming and socializing. I know the JKOC are the same- SW fans who like to get together on a social level with people who enjoy the same things they do. The 501st are some of the friendliest people I've come across in awhile. They're willing to help a new or prospective member with costuming needs- all you have to do is ASK. If they can't physically be there, they'll at least point you in the right direction.

I spoke my piece on this matter.

17. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Okie dokie
    Boots! Get 'em, guys. Under $20 delivered! [face_shocked]

Boots

I did a bunch of reading on this and comparing pics. They seem to be what is considered canon. A lot of people use them (for both TIE and Rebel pilots ;)).

Best thing is that they're cheap as well as accurate. :cool:

18. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Those are a good price on the boots. I might even consider getting a set. I have a set but they might not be close enough. And at $20 delivered.... Cant beat that.

As far as things between a couple of us (me included) and the OG. I'm not going to let a couple of disagreements deter me from finishing my Tie costume. This is supposed to be fun. It hasnt always been. Hopefully it will be more so.

Moving on.

Mike what are you doing next Fri? I can have your helmet ready for paint. Do you want to paint the black and then give it back for me to finish or do you want to just have me paint it?

Also I am going to be ordering Cog patches for us this week. $3 each. and helmet cogs. $3.50 each.

How many do we need?
    Kim 2 + 2
    Geoff 2 + 2
    Em 2 + 2
    Mike 2 (helmet)
    That right?

19. Beltayn

Jan 21, 2004
    I have to let you know about this Friday. I'd actually like to do the painting myself :)

Yep- (2) Two cogs :D

20. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    :eek:

I need to get thoses boots!!! OMG!! They are so cheap!!

21. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Ok Mike. NP. We'll be filming the next 2 Fridays at the same place in Solon. So either day will do.

I'll get you 2 cogs. :D

22. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Cogs for me, too, please :D

And Em, make sure to remember that women's sizes are two smaller than the men's. So my 9 equals their 7 ;)
    And Farmer said that no one should have any problem with those boots being cannon. :D

Bret, since you're busy with filming and doing up our helmets so nicely :D would you mind if I help by keeping an eye out for the other pieces?

And can I come too to work on my helmet?

23. Beltayn

Jan 21, 2004
    Alright- I'll see about hooking up with you on Friday. I'll need directions to the shooting location. I bought the paint- I'll give you the two hoses I bought for the connectors / chest box

24. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Ok Mike that sounds good. I'll bring you the helmet.

What do you mean by the other things Kim? I'll be making belt buckles for everyone. I will be getting hoses up here too. They have alot at the Home Depot by me.

Hoses = $13 each. $28.00 total w/ tax
    Patches = $3.50 each with shipping. $7 total
    Decals = $4.00 each with shipping. $8 total
    Belt buckles = Free

All of you should visit the Omega Wing message boards and learn as much as you can from them. They are the shiznit. I'm buying the patches and decals from a guy there.

25. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I just meant like gloves, etc.
    And the boots :D
    But if you've got it all under control, then cool. :D

Oh! What kinda paint to we need to buy & bring?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.