main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tiger Woods: the best there ever was?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by CitizenKane, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    A couple of years ago I thought that some of the younger guys like Garcia, Scott, Baddeley etc may be able to close in on Tiger and foot it with him. But it just hasn't happened. Those guys can look great on any given day, but they're a still a million miles away from him when it comes to delivering the goods when it absolutely, positively has to be delivered.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    That's true, and it's really odd. None of them have come on to challenge him.

3. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    He is Ted Williams to everyone else's Mario Mendoza.

4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Um... hate to be a killjoy on this matter, but... Tiger Woods has never won the grand slam of golf. That being: All four major golf tournaments in a single year. The only golfer, to my knowledge, ever to do that amazing feat was Bobby Jones. (Unless I'm mistaken, which I could very well be.)

However... Tiger Woods IS a wonderful golfer, and one of the best in the sport. :)

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Bobby Jones, however, was before the Masters, when the 'grand slam' included two amateur championships, a different matter entirely. No man has ever won the modern grand slam - the closest is Tiger Woods, since he did win them all within the spam of a year, just not a calendar year. Which, honestly, is just as impressive. He still held all four trophies at the same time.

6. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    It's a tremendous feat but the true Slam would surpass it. With the Tiger slam you have a chance to get the first win everything you take part in a Major. With the Slam you only get one chance a year.

But he could finish his career without having won the Slam and still be the greatest ever.

7. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    If his leg had cooperated, there's a 99.9% chance he'd have gotten the true slam this year. He would have won the Masters if the pain hadn't upset his game, he won the US on one leg, and you're crazy if you don't think Tiger would have played par golf and won the British by several strokes.

8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i still say that bobby jones was better. woods is great, make no doubts (and i thought i was five consecutive majors, not just four?), but jones played freaking shaking hands and STILL no one could stop him. he was so fething sick due to the pressure and everything, not to mention the compitetion he had during match play (harder to win in my opinion) jones takes the cake. just my humble opinion on the matter.

oh, and take into account that he was a true amateur... kinda makes it even more impressive since he had to pay for basically everything out of his own pocket.

:snoopy

9. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    jack is still the best, he paved the way for Tiger.

10. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    let me as a question? what's the largest margin of victory in a major? unless i'm mistaken bobby jones holds that one. something like 28 holes i think. (don't hold me to that number exactly, but i know for a fact it was over 21). jomes was said to have the most pure swing ever, even by his competitors. he made shots that many thought were impossible given the clubs and balls that they had in those days. he did this routinely. he did this while have to smack his hand on his leg to regain control of it due to the shaking. i'm sorry, jacks third, tigers second. no one will EVER match jones. he only played until he was twenty freaking eight people. and unless i'm mistaken he won around ten majors. no one has ever played the same game as jones. nobody ever will.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Largest margin of victory:

Masters: 12 strokes, Tiger Woods, 1997
    US Open: 15 strokes, Tiger Woods, 2000 (major record)
    British Open: 13 strokes, Old Tom Morris, 1862 (was major record until 2000)
    PGA Championship: 7 strokes, Jack Nicklaus, 1980 (was matchplay until 1957, so also Paul Runyan beat Sam Snead 8 & 7, 1938)

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    was back when the amateurs were considered majors. i think it was the us amateur that jones pulled it in. and thank ye for the info. i can look, but i never manage to find stuff like that for some reason.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    The amateurs were both match play, not stroke play - he won the British Amateur once (7&6) and the best he did at the US Amateur was 10&9, which are both impressive... but neither was a record for the respective tournaments. The British Amateur was won 13&12 5 years before Jones, and the US Amateur was won 12&11 back in 1895.

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    hmmm... then i have no clue what i was thinking about. have to reread that book, or watch the movie again i guess.

15. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    How does one win match play by anything more than 10 & 8?

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    36 hole match play. Which is often used in the final round - even the Accenture Match Play championship today uses that. Or whatever that tournament is called.

17. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Okay! Gotcha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.