main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Time Out NY's top 50 foreign films of all times: 33. "The Four Hundred Blows" (1959)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    34. THE SEVENTH SEAL (1957)

"Much of the prestige (and, to be fair, the intimidation) that accrues around foreign films can be attributed to this towering Swedish classic?but it?s not as difficult as you might think. Yes, our medieval Crusader hero (a sapling-young Max von Sydow) squares off against Death in a chuckleworthy chess match. Yet the brilliance of Ingmar Bergman?s psychodrama comes in the way it turns its beard-stroking symbology into a gripping experience for anyone with a little curiosity.?JR"

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    33. THE FOUR HUNDRED BLOWS (1959)

"François Truffaut?s indelible first feature helped put the French New Wave on the map. The film chronicles the troubled existence of cocky teenager Antoine Doinel, beautifully played by the precocious Jean-Pierre Léaud, who would revisit the character over four more movies. Truffaut also captures the profound somberness of postwar France, which is brought home in a heartbreaking final freeze-frame of Antoine alone by the seaside.?KU"

3. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

It's easy to see why Truffaut's debut attracted so much attention for him.
    It's my favorite Truffaut and my favorite French film

This scene alone, reportedly improvised, is one of my favorites. Brilliant acting,
    totally naturalistic.

Counselor interview