main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN TIMMYCON!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Any dates being considered for this? If it's going to be in the autumn (fall for you lot :p ), I can start planning.

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, considering how Gung-Ho Lin is, we need at least a few months to plan this thing. How about, say, September or October?

Next time we're all together, we can start talking about this realistically.

3. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Gung-Ho? Wasn't Michael Keaton in that flick?

We can do it whenever, but early September or mid-October would work best for me. I've got the Ohio Festival in late September, possible Florida trip in early October (I miss the Naughty Nurses!), and Nightmarez the last couple weeks of October. Since we are talking aobut doing a Drive-In Night after it, how about either September 11th or October 16th? If it was October 16th we could end the Summer movie series with it.

I don't want to go crazy with this- maybe just the moonbounce, a petting zoo, a few rides, a small midway...just kidding!

I figure us with some tables and SW toys, maybe some catooning buddies and comics, costumes(optional), face painting, and some snackage. I'll see about getting a few door prizes, too.

Any thoughts..?

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    What about doing this at that park that we first met at, Tim? The one down the street from your house.

5. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    Early September or late October would work best for me, as my birthday is in late September.

6. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Hey, I wanna come!! I can bring the SW Holiday Special even!

EDIT:
    On second thought; I won't bring it, which should create a more welcome atmosphere for my presence 'in the force.'

7. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Yeah Kevin...that will score you positive points in Heaven....I think it falls under the category of "Serving Humanity".....reference the atom films "In God We Trust" it's a great lil film....well worth the download...I'll show it Saturday

John

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Tim: after talking to you this weekend about TimmyCon!, and dealing with the weather I had a thought or two. What if I can arrange to hold TC!1 in the lobby of the haunt this year? We had talked about doing it this fall and if we get the same building as last year, or one close in size we'd have plenty of room for it. We wouldn't have to worry about weather, people having to use your restrooms, parking, too many people, etc. We're only going to do one kids day this year, so that would open up a Saturday. If you're interested I can check with Todd and Pat and look at a date. We may be doing the Memphis Motorsports park thing again in October, but could still fit it in.

What do you think?

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    My Jedi Mind Trick worked!!!

Or maybe it's just that we think a lot alike, Lin! When we were talking Saturday about TC!, I started to ask you about the possibility of using the Nightmarez location. Considering the brevity of the event, as well as its small size, I think holding it at Nightmarez would be great, and it would all give us a good excuse to show up to support the haunt as well. I think it would work great, and if Patrick and Todd agree, I'll let you set the date.

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Your silly mind tricks won't work on me Ima- oh, crap- other screen name!

I thought it could save stress on having it at your place- not to mention wear and tear on your bathroom. I'll get with the guys while we're on the haunt trip and mention it. It could sorta be like kids day, but with more SW toys, comics, and all. The MSCA had asked if I planned on doing an art show. This would give them more of an incentive to get involved with that, as well as a chance for a comic signing.

Now we've just got to get a building!

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Remind me to buy y'all one when I win the Powerball on Wednesday.

I'm starting to like the idea of TimmyCon even more now that it could possibly be held away from my house!

12. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Thought ya might!

I like the idea we don't have to worry about the weather. After this weekend at MusicFest that's a BIG plus. I may also be able to get some press for it, as well as promote it on the haunt and MSCA's calendar.

Oh, and getting people to come hang out and/or find it should be easier, too. I'm sure I could get at least 3-6 of the MSCA cartoonists out there, and maybe a couple former members. One worked on some Batman comics, another worked on the Rogue Squadron and Aliens VS Predator comics. They may still have some pages for people to check out.

I was thinking that once a building is secured, and I've got Todd's and Patrick's blessing I could figure out how many tables would fit in the lobby (and possibly outside) and offer free table space for SMT and MSCA members on a first come/first serve basis. They'd just have to bring a table and something to sell/trade/giveaway.

Any thoughts..?

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Works for me! And that way we could expand a bit beyond SW and include other toy collectors. It would definitely make it more interesting. I don't see this being anything huge, nor even remotely large, but it could still be fun for everyone.

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I've gone to smaller comic shows in town and had a blast, especially when I've run into friends or found some really good deals! Love those $.25 comic boxes or $1 movie buttons!

If I can get some of the local comic artists to show up and do comic signings/sketches/caricatures/facepainting, SMT members and/or cartoons/monsters in costume for photo ops, do an art show in the lobby, and set up the projector to show movies in the lobby or near the haunt queue line again we should have a fun atmosphere. I may see if we can't set up the haunt so we can run folks thru the 3-D funhouse part for a couple bucks. If the weather is nice I can arrange to get a free moon bounce from Pop-A-Lock. They've come out for kids days in the past.

If we hold it in the middle to latter part of October we could have a couple weeks of people seeing posters/fyers in the lobby of the haunt, as well as some sort of media exposure.

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Maybe we should change the name to LinnyCon!. Man, Lin, you've put more thought into this than I have!

16. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Nah, TimmyCon! sounds funnier! I'll be happy to just have it all come together and not blow up in my face!

Right now it looks like the 23rd of October will be best for TC1. I'll be at Ohio State the weekend of the 15th/16th in October, and we'll probably do kidz day on the 30th- the day before Halloween. Since Halloween falls on a Sunday most folks will be doing the trick-or-treat or party thing that day anyway, so hopefully we'll get a lot of kids dressed up.

Don't forget the Summer Movie finale with Sleepy Hollow is scheduled for the 16th of October, so TC1 may be that following weekend.

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Should we move the last movie to October 9th to put more time between it and TC!, Lin?

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Either is fine with me, but I'll be out of town on the 16th- not that you guys can't show a movie without me! Let me get with Todd and Pat this next week and we'll nail down more details as soon as we have a lock on the location. I'm really hoping we can get the same place as last year.

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Ok, I'm back to planning TIMMYCON! now that we have a building. We will have a decent sized lobby- not as big as last year, but still good enough for us to set up some tables and such. I'll get with the MSCA members at this next dinner meeting and see who all can make it. Looks like we may have the MSCA comic out by then, and I know I can get some stuff for a freebie table.

Looks like the date will be the 23rd of October- I'm thinking noon-4pm.

Any thoughts, comments, ideas, ect.?

20. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Sounds like fun..I'm for it...what do we need to do?

john

21. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    Too bad it's not September.

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Sounds like a winner to me, Lin. We'll get together and discuss it. Time to start a TimmyCon! planning committee.

23. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Groovy!

Not much to do yet, John. The event itself will be a small comic/toy sale/swap meet. Folks can have table space (provided they provide a table.

We'll have to kick it around the next time we get together.

Ben- you gonna be in town in September? IF so, you gonna be able to make it to a Drive-In Night?

24. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    I've been looking at flight prices for the last couple of days for a trip out there between roughly 3-13 September. I was thinking of going with a mate to visit another mate who's spending a year or so working in the States (Washington DC, to be exact) for a few days and then flying on to Memphis for the September drive-in or whatever to get the best VFM. September prices seem to be rather expensive though, but I'm still working on it.

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm always surprised when someone actually wants to come back and see me! :p (Actually, I'm honored you think enough of me to visit again, Ben.)

Should I start stocking the liquor cabinet now?

Time to start planning TimmyCon!

So far, we know it's going to encompass toy and collectable trading and sales and comic books. If we offer him a sandwich, do you think we could get someone like Dave Prowse or Peter Mayhew to attend? (That was a joke. Forget I said it.)

I was hoping we'd get Antone on board, as well as any other local comic artists.

Anything or anybody else we want to include?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.