main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Torchwood - Children of the Earth

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Spike2002, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Sorry, not an obituary thread, guys [face_mischief]

Anyone see this last night? I know I did (and halibut too). Thought it started off excellently and look forward to the next episodes.

But, who are the 456? I was hoping they'd be linked to the sleeper agents revealed in Season 2, Episode 2, but those aliens were called Cell 114. But, it's possible we could've seen them before. Thoughts?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    ZOMG??!!? Ianto's gay??!?!???!???!??!?

That came out of nowhere.

3. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Gay stuff? In Torchwood?

Boycott!

(Though he did say to his sister that he was gay for Jack only, and nobody else)

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm gay for Jack

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This isn't Torchwood. This isn't what Torchwood was supposed to be. The move to BBC ONE has - by necessity - robbed the show of an edge, abandoned that edgy ethos it used to have and bolted on a whole lot of mainstream crap.

I'll watch it to the end, but I'm disappointed that Torchwood has been compromised in the name of ratings.

6. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Oh no! Don't tell me Captian Jack has died. :(

RIP Jack. The "Face of Bo" shall live forever in our hearts.

7. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Funny, but I think it's a lot better as a "big" production.

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I've been really enjoying it so far. Loved the smilies!

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't believe Ianto is dead. :'(

10. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I've never been overly impressed with Torchwood but I am liking this very much and I agree, it's what the show really needed.

Lost its edge??? No way. All the government scenes deciding what to do is some of the most 'near-the-knuckle' British TV I've seen for a while. Basically saying all the Chav kids should be sacrificed was genius and exactly what everyone would be thinking but would never say it, but they did!

11. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    It does feel more like an ep. of Doctor Who without the Doctor in it than it used to.

Would've made a better 3-parter. The bits on Wednesday where Capaldi was asking the 456 questions and getting back

* pause *

* pause *

* pause *

...yes

really dragged. And the kids chanting got old fast - and never seemed as creepy as the dramatic music suggested it should be (which also applied to the 456 questioning).

Day 1 - end with the chamber arrival

Day 2 - have the 456 demonstrate how much of a threat they are, find out what happened in '65

Day 3 - conclusion

12. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001

The pauses are there for a reason.

13. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'll watch the finale in 15 mins. It's watchable stuff, but I'm not shouting from the rooftops about it. I've never actually watched TW before, and to be honest I don't watch much Dr Who (sorry).

The actually concept and themes they are dealing with are pretty impressive (ie social cleansing) but somewhat wasted on this franchise.

14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    my mrs has spent most of this episode in tears as she keeps thinking about our kids

15. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I don't have children.
    I'm in tears.

edit

*deep cough*

um, must have been some dust in the room

*deep cough*

seriously fantastic television and an outstanding concept to bring to TV - I still feel it's wasted on this franchise, but the actual execution towards the end was well done. Sinister and heart wrenching.

however, it all seemed a bit simple at the end, and I wasn't convinced by Capt Jack's methodology (but I've never watched TW before) would he sell his grand-kid out that quickly? Surely the plot was about redemtion (for his previous actions), yet he carried on and did the same again ?????????

I might have to watch the old stuff now, I enjoyed this last episode!

16. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    I like that they didn't go the too-obvious route of Jack refusing and there being some other way out. That on top of the sign-posting that his grandson would end up being critical would've been too much.

Didn't buy any of the stuff with Frobisher and his kids. Didn't seem believable that the PM would assume he'd go along with it, or that they wouldn't just fake it like Frobisher said, or that he wouldn't just kill himself - surely his kids wouldn't have been used for publicity purposes without their dad in the picture. And they wouldn't have been at one of the selected schools, so they would've been safe then either way.

17. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Bloody hell. Top drama.

18. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Apart from being a really great show I must admit that I was surprised by how the BBC and RTD actually handled the final episode; nice to see them confronting social issues full on and not twisting the truth as they have done in the past.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Didn't see it. Sounds like its worth watching. Is it on the BBC's I-Player?

20. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Yes it is. I had to watch the last two episodes on it as I was working during on Thurs/Fri when it was on.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It was a fine drama.

I was very impressed by the 456, excellent and intimidating creature. The reason for it's use of children was not what I expected and I thought a slightly odd neccessity for such an advanced species, but I guess addiction can cause irational behaviour with little thought for others.

I was suprised by the decision Jack made to sacrifice his own Grandson, it was quite like the Doctor destroying Gallifrey in order to stop the Dalek Empire.

The cast all did well, it was compelling seeing how the civil service workers ended up being fall guys for the problem and then fighting back at the end.

I don't know if the show was meant to be anti-government, I believe under the circumstances they had little option (and frankly removing the kids nobody wants won't get complaints from me). However, rounding up whole schools went too far, it was turning into a holocaust.

Shame to see Ianto die, he was a good character.

It is a good way to end Torchwood completely if RTD wants to do that, but it's all still open for another series.

22. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Glad to see the back of him, he was the most useless character in my book. Should have gone before te others.

RTD is already penning the next series.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm expecting another series, hopefully it can maintain the quality Children of Earth has set.

I prefer Ianto to Gwen, she should've gone long before the others IMO. Still, I'm sure a bunch of new recruits will be brought in net series to fill the voids left by the deceased 3.

24. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I hope Torchwood series 4 is just speculation at the moment because I would hate to see it. After finally setting a decent standard I would hate to see the power of CoE's ending squandered because Russel T. Davies wants to do more. Unless of course RTD wants to base the next series between the dalek attack of Doctor Who series 4 and CoE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.