main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Torchwood] Just Breathe-- Jack, Ianto- Angst- Post Exit Wounds

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by mavjade , Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Title: Just Breathe
    Author: mavjade
    Characters: Jack, Ianto.. a little bit of Owen
    Genre: AU! Things don't happen exactly the way they did in my little world! Hurt/Comfort, no real plot.
    Warning: Spoilers for Torchwood 2x13 Exit Wounds. If you know the show, you might see the SSR (since it is cannon), if you don't, you won't.
    Summary: Jack wakes up in a panic after everything that has gone on
    Authors Note: Just in case you are reading this and you don't know Torchwood, Jack can't die (well he can but he comes back to life) and in the Episode Exit Wounds he was buried alive by his brother who wanted revenge for something that had happened when they were little. He was taken back in time and ended up being buried under Cardiff, Wales for almost 2,000 years!

This was never beta-ed, so I'm sorry for any mistakes!

He came back to consciousness with something in his mouth and in his throat, keeping him from breathing. His immediate thought was that he was still underground serving his penance for losing his brother when they were both so young, so long ago. He knew death would come again quickly and he looked forward to it.

Many people said that suffocation was one of the best ways to die, peaceful even, but from personal experience, Jack knew better. It certainly wasn't the worst way to die, far from it actually, but there was nothing peaceful about it.

The feeling of not getting air into your lungs was excruciating, your brain demanding that it get what it wants, your heart pounding in your chest trying to keep up with the demand your body is making. He knows that no matter how long he holds his breath to keep the dirt out, lack of oxygen to the brain will eventually make him pass out, and then he will breath, whether there is oxygen or not.

It finally occurs to him that he shouldn't have had that long to think about all of this. Usually, he takes a huge gasp as he comes back to life, choking on the ever increasing amounts of dirt in his mouth and throat and proceeds to die again in his own circle of life. This time he could swear he heard people talking to him, voices calling out his name, voices he knew but couldn't quite place.

"Jack, you have to calm down." The voice sounded almost panicked.

It was then he noticed an extreme pressure on the inside of his chest, not on the outside like it had been from the dirt. No, this was a completely new feeling.

"Seriously Jack, you need to calm down." The voice repeated. "Ianto, see if you can do anything."

Ianto. He knew that name, he could never forget it.

He felt a warm breath against his ear, "Jack, I know you are scared but I promise your fine now. You need to listen to Owen and try to relax."

So the voice was Owen's. A part of him felt bad for not figuring that out, but 2000 years was a long time to remember such a detail.

Doing as Ianto asked, Jack managed to calm down a little. Curiosity got the better of him and he decided to try and pry his eyes open to see the faces he hadn't seen in so long, one face in particular. But the moment his eyelids cracked open he slammed them shut again to keep the bright light from burning his eyes. He heard something about turning down the lights, and decided it was safe to try and open them again. It was still too bright, but tolerable.

The first thing he saw was what he thought was Ianto's face right above him. It took several moments for his face to come into focus but when it did he saw that tear tracks marked Ianto's face, though his eyes were now dry and a small smile played on his lips.

"Hi."

Jack tried to respond only to be choked once again on what was in his mouth. For a moment he feared that all of this was a hallucination and he was still in his grave. Panic once again started to consume him, but instead of everything disappearing as he knew it soon would --vanishing into the darkness yet again-- Ianto's face was replaced by Owen's.

"You have a tube down your throat to help you breath, don't fight it. We

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Aww, that's sweet. [face_love] I'm such a patsy for H/C fics.

I actually only know Torchwood through fanfic, but even from that, I know that Jack is awesome. :p

Thank you for sharing this with us!

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    ophelia, I think I know how you feel. H/C all the way! [face_love]

You know, when I first saw Exit Wounds I was a little weirdded out by the fact that Jack got buried alive for such a long time and then seemed perfectly okay for the finale of the episode. :p You really do feel sorry for him, getting killed repeatedly. :( (Though the immortality factor does add even more to the coolness of his character that's already there :p :cool: ).

Awesome, mav! :D

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Awww!! I've never read/seen anything Torchwood, but I love this. It was so sweet - I'm glad Jack had Ianto to help him :) Being buried alive for two thousand years sounds absolutely horrifying, though.

Wonderful piece :)

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Awww... Jack will be okay. Ianto will assist and Gwen will be there to heal him (Sorry G/J shipper).

One quibble though and I'll highlight it for those who haven't seen Exit Wounds: I thought Owen was killed in Exit Wounds?

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ophelia:
    Aww, that's sweet. I'm such a patsy for H/C fics.
    Thank you! I'm the same way, H/C is usually my favorite in any fandom! :)

I actually only know Torchwood through fanfic, but even from that, I know that Jack is awesome.
    It's a great show! Jack is most awesome, though I guess anyone would be if they had been alive as long as he has! :p

Thank you for sharing this with us!
    Thank you for reading!! [:D]

Idrelle_Miocovani:
    ophelia, I think I know how you feel. H/C all the way!
    H/C is the best!! :D

You know, when I first saw Exit Wounds I was a little weirdded out by the fact that Jack got buried alive for such a long time and then seemed perfectly okay for the finale of the episode.
    Same here, but I figure he had so much that needed to be done and then with Tosh and Owen he didn't have time to freak out... that probably came later, we just didn't get to see it. (Though I kinda wish we had!)

Though the immortality factor does add even more to the coolness of his character that's already there
    Very true! He is an awesome character, which is why he got his own series!! :D (Well that and John Barrowman is just awesome! [face_love] )
    Thanks for reading!! [:D]

NYCitygurl:
    Awww!! I've never read/seen anything Torchwood, but I love this.
    Awww... thanks Nat! You should watch it... its an awesome show! (If you like kinda campy sci-fi a la Doctor Who, which it is a spin off of)

It was so sweet - I'm glad Jack had Ianto to help him. Being buried alive for two thousand years sounds absolutely horrifying, though.
    It traumatizes me just thinking about it!! But Ianto is always there for Jack, even when he hated Jack! :) Ianto is just sweet like that! [face_love]

Wonderful piece
    Thank you! Thanks for reading!! [:D]

Juliet316:
    Awww... Jack will be okay.
    He always is, even when the worst things happen to him. I don't know how, but he is! :)

Ianto will assist and Gwen will be there to heal him (Sorry G/J shipper).
    ACK!!! No Gwack!! :p I'm a Janto shipper all the way (probably pretty obvious), but unlike most Janto shippers, I don't have a problem with Gwen. I really like her, I just love Rhys too much to break his heart! :)

One quibble though...
    Yeah, I made this AU (*checks to make sure she put that at the top*) cause I wrote this the day after Exit Wounds and I was so heart broken, I had to change it. So I made it that the team found Jack not 1901 TW and that changed things! Sorry if I didn't make that clear!
    Thanks for reading!! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.