main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM in 3D - Who is Going?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Feb 1, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So I saw the first TV ad for TPM in 3D last night on Sky 1 (around 7:30 PM - just after the Simpsons). My local Vue is getting the film so that's where I will be heading when it opens. I'm looking forward to it as it will be the first time I've seen it in digital on a big screen. DVDs on a small screen don't count. (And I'm pretty sure there were no digital presentations in the UK when it came out.)

Who else will be going?

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I have organised for the 501st & Rebel Legion to attend the Odeon I work at, so I am definately going. I will be getting some of the Podracer 3D glasses too, I hope the conversion is worth it.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Which Odeon is that - the big Leicester Square one?

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    My eldest is desperate to see it at the cinema so I'm going.

Do we know if there have been any unneeded changes?

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I don't think I've seen any posts about changes. But then I don't read everything in the PT forum since I'm not a forum mod there.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The Odeon I work at s the big IMAX one in Greenwich, not far from the O2.

The posters fro TPM 3D advertise CGI Yoda from the Blu-Ray, but I don't know if that will be the case.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Never been to that one. I've been to the big Leicester Square one and one over on Shaftesbury Ave near Forbidden Planet. (I think the latter is/was an Odeon.) I saw my only digital showing of AOTC at Leicester Square.

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'll try and convince Everton to go

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Ya'll come to my work, we gonna have a crazy Star Wars theme going on. Plus I can get you all 40% Ben & Jerry's discount [face_mischief]

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Too far a trip from the Heathrow area for me.

11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Too far a trip from Manchester for me.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe for Clones then.

We have a 00:30 showing on Wednesday night for TPM. It will be interesting to see how well that does.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like I'm going to try for Thursday. Local cinema has showings at 11am and 2pm. If I get up early enough I'll try for the 11am. I want to see it this week because the schools are off Feb 13-17.

14. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Would love to come down, but after buying 3 Download Festival tickets and spending the weekend in Birmingham, I can't justify the travel expenses this month.

15. Kassy

Kassy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    ODEON Leicester Square :)

definately going

Star Wars + 3D m - Great Fun

Can't wait

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    So long as it makes enough money to convince Lucas to do the rest in 3D I'll be happy.
    TPM really only has 3 scenes worth seeing in 3D (or at all really) so I'm not expecting it to look very different. Clones should have much more in terms of dimentional enhancement opportunities.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's beautiful.

I caught an 11am showing at the local Vue this morning. This was definitely a 'scenery' viewing since I'm familiar with the story. The planet and space scenes are great and you'll find yourself noticing a ton of background stuff that you might have missed before. I loved it.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm sure it looks great, it did when it came out and it does on Blu Ray. But does the 3D add anything to the movie that it wouldn't have had if you watched it in standard HD Digital on a big screen?

The HD enhances stuff, 3D is supposed to make it more real and immersive.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Can't answer that one. I don't have HD or a large screen, and my only Blu-Ray player is a portable one. So for me this was a treat.

I do agree that the 3D made it more immersive though, at least to me. Especially in the space and flying scenes.

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Seeing it in two hours :D

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
  22. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I just got back home after seeing TPM at the Odeon at Leicester Square. Brilliant is the only word I can think of to describe the experience. The movie was incredibly beautiful although I can't comment on whether this is an improvement due to 3D or due to me finally seeing TPM at an excellent movie theatre (in 1999 I saw it only in small cinemas).

I even enjoyed the entire podrace (it's my least favourite part) :D.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It is very impressive. Considering it is a converted movie it doesn't seem to suffer from the problems converted movie have such as the picture being tood ark. It looks as if it was filmed in the 3D format and so it fits well with it.

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Thoroughly enjoyed it, though the podrace was poorly done. A wasted opportunity

And for Everton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meemZeaKtRQ

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Pretty funny video.

But I don't think it fair to blame Lucas for pointing out which worlds are which or who certain characters are, otherwise the movie would be even more confusing than it already is.