main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM is really my favorite star wars movie

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Obilieveinme, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    It's last on mine.

1) AOTC
    2) ESB
    3) ANH
    4) ROTJ
    5) TPM

And I'm sure ROTS will claim #1 and will push all the other ones down.

2. Philagape

Philagape Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. AOTC
    4. ROTJ
    5. TPM

3. Senator_Palpy

Senator_Palpy Jedi Master

Mar 18, 2005
    I thought TPM was a hell of alot better then AOTC but it didn't beat the OT.

1.ESB
    2.ANH
    3.ROTJ
    4.TPM
    5.AOTC

4. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "Its number 3 or 4 on my list.

ESB
    ANH
    TPM or ROTJ

I like the TPM. Ok, its not the greatest movie ever, the dialogue is simple and the acting too, but ALL WORKS FINE BECAUSE ITS THE SPIRIT OF THE MOVIE! While in AOTC, they are trying to be serious (loves scenes) and they fail.

Special effects are the best in the Saga if you ask me."

I agree 100%

5. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    I don't have a ranking of the 5 films, but TPM is definitely my favorite. I thought so when I first saw it. Then when I recently watched all of them on DVD, I thought so again.

I think TPM is an absolute blast to watch, a grand adventure. For me, it is also the most emotional SW film.

The action is awesome, the soundtrack is fantastic, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are a great team, it is so interesting watch the manipulations of Sidious and Palpatine, and it has Darth Maul. What else do you need?

6. BobaFan

BobaFan Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2003
    I really do like TPM. Everyone slams Jar Jar, but my biggest complaint with the film is Lloyd's performance; I really think it hurt the film because he's such an integral part. He's not horrible, but he's not good either.

That being said it's not my favorite film of the saga. Though I don't have a numbered list, that honor still goes to Empire by a long shot, but TPM is in no way nearly as bad as many people like to think it is. For me, it gets an extra point because it was the first Star Wars film I was able to see on opening day. That adds plenty of sentimental value to it.

7. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    I like it as well, however there are moments when it just takes too long to get from A to B. It buzzes my mind why they actually put more of this in the flick with the DVD release. (extra podrace material, extra coruscant building shots)

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    TPM is my favorite because it's the first one I ever dared to see. I hid outside the building of my day-care when they showed ROTJ when I was five.

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    "I enjoy each STAR WARS Episode and each STAR WARS Trilogy and the STAR WARS Saga equally and fully."

This is my favorite comment in the thread.

I feel that to appreciate the Star Wars Saga fully, you need not have a favorite or be pressured to pick one or another. To me, they are six chapters in one book, and while we can discuss which chapter has the best duel, the best race, the best action, the best drama, whatever, they are all ultimately completely and undeniably necessary to the Saga and to the story as a whole.

That being said, when TPM came out, it was my favorite Star Wars film. I love it just as much now, maybe more because I think AOTC made it even more necessary (with AOTC and ROTS very dark, TPM is really a great setup because we needed one fun film like this).

I have to be honest that what Star Wars movie I want to watch is just purely a mood thing. It isn't like, "Well I want to watch ESB, because it is the best, so there." Uhh, no. ESB is a great film, but without ROTJ it's not a great film. It is just part of the story, a part that makes no sense and isn't complete without its finale, ROTJ. I just love all of the Star Wars films and am in such complete joy when I see any of them that how can I complain?

Sometimes, you know, I want that awesome drama and tension and great peril in ESB. Other times, I want that uplifting, light feeling of ROTJ, the ultimate finale of the saga. At other times I want to watch TPM, which not only is a wonderful, light film but has such incredible beauty and fantastic action sequences, and dialogue that I personally really enjoy. It also brings back fond memories of the 50 times I watched TPM in theaters and what a great experience for me the entire movie was.

I wrote a non-fiction book on TPM (link in my profile), so it has a more personal meaning to me. It will always be special for that reason, among others. I am glad to see many of you also love TPM and appreciate it, but I hope that in the future some of the other fans come around and at least appreciate TPM as a great introduction to the saga, even if they never like it as much as the darker, meatier parts. We needed TPM to setup the seeds of destruction in the Republic and the goodness Anakin once had. It does all of this very effectively...

10. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    For me, I would rank it 3rd among my favorites. I thought the plot was pretty good and yes, I too liked the foreshadowing. I thought they did a pretty good job with that.

11. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    For the record;

TESB
    ANH
    AOTC
    TPM
    ROTJ

Ironically, despite being bottom of my list, TPM & ROTJ are the ones I turn to most when I need a quick SW "fix", I don't know why? maybe it's because they're pretty lighthearted & fun :confused:

12. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Obilieveinme

Glad that you liked the movie so much!

Let me ask you a question, did you like the movie because it was a more cheeful movie than the others? That it did try to have a sense of comedy?

-------------------------------------------------------

It's hard to explain. I just never really feel bored when i'm watching it. I used to like the old Ivanhoe, Robin Hood swashbuckling type movies and i thought this movie really gave that same feel.

I thought it was able to be alot of things and still move the story forward.

It just didn't take itself too seriously. It was the first one back and i thought it was right to be a lighter movie because the story and the eventual fall of Anakin didn't allow for it much past this story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.