main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT TPM underrated

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by matt0812, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004

You should watch it on Bluray, it makes a world of difference!!!!!!

All the movies looks like crap on T.V. You want to talk outdated you should see the effect's from the OT that didn't get a make over!

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, just watched a bit of AOTC on Spike abit ago. Not really sure why people would subject themselves to that-it does look shockingly bad.

Now watching AOTC on Blu-Ray and it's gorgeous. :D

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think that AotC was made worse with the Blu-Ray. That unbelieable green tint and that stupid scene mix, near the end of the movie, makes me prefer the DVD version more.

Although I liked the Shmi addition on Anakin's dream.

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't have any 'green tint'.

Anyway, we're not talking about DVD vs. BR; we're talking about TV vs..well, any other media format out there, really. The film looked horrid on Spike.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    DVD:

[image=http://www.movie-censorship.com/pics/SBs/200/929191/22.jpg]

Blu-Ray:

[image=http://www.movie-censorship.com/pics/SBs/200/929191/21.jpg]

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Nope, still not seeing one. I'm sure you're not lying, but I'm definitely not seeing a green tint either on my TV or your screenshots.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Look at the Twi'lek on the left to see the difference.

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh.

Who cares? It's a meaningless background character that I barely ever noticed anyway.

I can see being upset if Palpatine was lime green, but that's just nitpicky.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The whole movie has a green teal all over it. I merely used the Twi'lek as a reference for you to see the difference, not because I care about her.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sigh. No it doesn't. Even your screenshot shows that.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Sight, I won't argue about this. It's there, every reviewer noticed it. I noticed it, and the comparison shows it.

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Is it me, or do the prequels seem like they're getting worse as time passes?

Here's a question concerning the prequels. Lol. How many people can you count that stare into the camera?

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not worse. Interesting.

The same amount as the OT.

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

As for the green tint, I don't see that being applied to the entire shot, just the two blue Twi'Leks.
    What I see is, similar brightness and saturation, with an drastically-altered hue on the female. Orn looks slightly more Teal and the green female seems exactly the same.

/Shrugs.

15. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    The Phantom Menace ~ Star Wars Episode 1

My take on the film.

Granted, I feel it is the weakest of all 6 films. However, it is a STAR WARS film and FEELS like a Star Wars film. There were IMO 3 saving graces of this movie;

1)Liam Neeson as Qui Gon Jin. He just owned the role, he was awesome! More like if anyone disagreed with him he was like "Hey, it's cool, I'm a Jedi. Relax. Chill. All will be OK!"

2)The Pod Race. Every Star Wars film has an element of SPEED and danger and we had never seen a sport in this galaxy. Now we got one. NASCAR on Tatooine!

3)Darth Maul. A double bladed lightsaber?! Are you kidding me!? The character was more of a thug, not a serious threat, hence he was killed. ...but he looked cool!

Some things just did not feel quite right;

1)Jar Jar Binks. Interesting that he was a CGI character. Ever hear that saying 'well it looked good on paper or worked in theory..' Same thing here. Turned out to be annoying.

2)The Jedi. Puppet Yoda looked horrible. I looked at the Jedi much like I would look at the Catholic Church or the Jedi Temple like the Vatican. Very set in their ways and unable to change. On a plus side and throughout the PT this was their downfall.

Each time I see TPM I like it a bit more.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I assume you haven't seen the Blu-ray version.

17. Jack1138

Jan 8, 2005
    You assume correctly, it is on the list though..... a long list. [face_plain]

18. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I like TPM but it is by far the worst of the whole saga; it had the weakest story and kid Anakin and Jar Jar bring this movie way down.
    The only time I watch this movie is when I'm in the mood to see Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, and/or Pod Racing.

19. Jack1138

Jan 8, 2005
    And there you have it folks! The 3 major saving graces of this sadly flawed Star Wars film! :)

20. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004

Many moons (okay years) ago I made thread about TPM being appreciated 10 years after its release.

Good to see I was right about something.

21. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I don't think TPM is underrated, if you are comparing it to films like Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Godfather II (artfully made films that work for an enormous audience) etc. TPM is a very poorly constructed & executed film, narratively & dramatically.

What bothers me is the assumption that TPM is not as brilliant as ANH. Although it is poorly organized and fails as a mainstream audience movie, TPM is brilliant and packed with brilliant ideas and is extraordinary as visual art. It remains my second favorite SW film (after ANH) and one of my all-time favorite films, period. I look forward to seeing it on the big screen again! I've been waiting for this since December 1999.

22. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I also think it's underrated. If fact, I think the whole prequel trilogy is underrated.

23. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    You simply haven't seen the film and cant comment on it until you have seen the new blu-ray transfer. YES. Its that good!

The best thing about the entire blu-ray Saga-set is TPM. When you sit and watch it in ACTUAL 1080p (or even in 720p for that matter) it is like you are watching a whole new movie literally. Every element of that film looks just as good (if not BETTER) than ANY brand new movie that could have came out yesterday.

And thats not even counting the number of new improvements/editions to the film like the absolutely gorgeous new performance of the beautiful digital yoda. Or the fact that the whole entire picture is 16% WIEDER on the left and right sides. Or the fact that every single thing is brighter, more colorful and even MORE stunningly detailed. One thing that sits with me every day of my life is the upcoming 3D conversion because this thing looks so good right now it basically already looks 3D if you watching it on the right TV.

Im sorry to burst your blissfully ignorant little bubble some of you like to live in but if you are watching the practically full screen, very old, fuzzy, cut for television version that they show on spike (yes all this still applies even if you have the best HD tv on the market) and coming here thinking you can give an at all accurate, at all meaningful opinion on this movie that is AT ALL to be taken seriously than you are even more foolish and sad than the more than one million people who actually went out and bought star wars on September 16th already knew you were.

I remember one day me and a friend were watching G4 tv and the guy who does the weekly dvd/blu-ray reviews made a very tired, corny crack at TPM and he was looking for a response from the audience, he didn't get one so then he actually leans over, nudges his elbow towards the audience and says "ha! Am I right guys!?" and he STILL got no response and a few people actually booed him! He then plays it off, shrugs his shoulders and gos "well...ya know.." and then nothing, he then changed the subject and went on to a new topic. Me and my friend were falling over laughing. Things like this just go to show you how even the bloggers,reviewers and commentators that use to play ball with the anti-PT fad are now changing the way they talk about star wars and the PT. I hope someone here finds that clip too just so everyone can see how fast it was all happening, it truly was one of those "wow i caught how fake it was i wonder if everyone caught that?" moments when you watch tv and see something unexpected. It was on G4 tv a couple months ago.

The anti-PT crusaders are not even being taken that seriously anymore and its starting to look just plain sad now and I think lot of them are starting to feel it to. More and more people are starting to see them for what they are, a bunch of angry, insecure, grown men in there 30's spamming websites and making straight to dvd documentaries that don't even sell enough copies to make their investment back. The memes are getting old and the bloggers are growing tired of pandering to the hate fad. So congradulations hipsters, you couldnt make people stop enjoying STAR WARS in 1999 and (what a surprise :eek:) you still cant today.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Tea Parties eventually lose the support of the populace.

25. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Exactly! [face_coffee]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.