main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Traitor," by Matthew Woodring Stover [Del Ray, 2002]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Apr 10, 2005.

?

"Traitor" by Matthew Woodring Stover [Del Ray, 2002]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

69.7%
  2. 9

10.5%
  3. 8

3.3%
  4. 7

2.6%
  5. 6 (Average)

2.0%
  6. 5 (Average)

2.0%
  7. 4

1.3%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith-22

sith-22 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Great book. Ganner is the man. Vergere got annoying after awhile. And i never have been a big fan of Jacen, but he was still cool in this. Best NJO IMO.

2. P_F_A_F_F

P_F_A_F_F Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    10, I loved this book. Even before I read this book I always had a view of the Force similar to Vergere's, so it was nice to hear it in book form. One of my favorite SW and NJO books

3. CorranFan9

CorranFan9 Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2005
    I AM 14 AND HAVE READ BOTH DANTE'S INFERNO AND TRAITOR AND FIND THE SIMILARITIES UHHMM...VERY SIMILAR.

4. CorranFan9

CorranFan9 Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2005
    Sorry for Caps.

5. QuiGon-Z

QuiGon-Z Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2003
    I LOVED this book, but it gets a 9. I mean, Vergere just seems too incredible plus Ganner sort of materialized. Vergere seems to make everything happen and gets everything she wants done and that sort of thing. I loved Jacen's growth and the philosophical quotes are awesome, I'll always remember this book. I loved the pretend hero suddenly destroying hundreds of Warriors and becoming something near a god to them in the future...

6. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    10. A great book and one of my favorite NJO's.

7. Jedimaster89

Jedimaster89 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    I thought Traitor was one of the better books than the others, yet again so was Desiny's way. I sort of got confused, but I still got it anyway. I still liked it just by listening to it by audio cd.

Peace and Force

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I actually hated this book. Endless torture scenes disgust me.

9. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    For the first time in the NJO, Jacen actually has a personality that doesn't resemble that of a whiny tree-hugger brat.

The philosophies brought up in this novel brought SW writing to a whole new level.

10. Darth_adam

Darth_adam Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2005
    My favorite partin this book is when jacen takes control of the amiphastaffs and used the to inpale a vong after he threw him over his shoulder. then preceded to make a staff armor.

11. Jacen-Vader

Jacen-Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2005
    10. This book is awesome, is one of the best book of starwars.

12. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    10/10 Of course.

Best NJO book. Mattew Stover is an awesome author.

Good Stuff

13. Figureman2

Figureman2 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2005
    This book gets a 10. Not only one of the best Star Wars books I've ever read, this is one of the better books I've ever read, period.

14. Admiral_Chiss

Admiral_Chiss Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2005
    Three word that bring this book from good to excelent

"none shall pass"

Superb

15. boady22

boady22 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2003

This was a good book. I didn't care much for Verge but otherwise it was a good otello. Ganner is about the best charater to come out of the NJO and I was sad to see him depart, but hey every hero has his/hers end and Ganner's was good.

Well done Stover. 9

16. FloppyMaN

FloppyMaN Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2005
    I gave it a 6. Not a huge fan of Jacen and it kinda got a little boring at times

17. Corellian_Cutie

Corellian_Cutie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2005
    This was my least faveorite NJO book...don't really know why...i never really cared for vergere (im probably the only person who feels that way in the world)

18. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    I give this book a 9.
    Matt Stover is one of my favorite Star Wars authors -- although I don't feel that's saying too much.
    Structurally, Traitor -- like Stover's Star Wars stuff -- is sound. He also has great instincts for sensing the timing of action and highlighting the excitement.
    However ... I hate when he decides to simply change tenses out of nowhere -- it's completely distracting.
    Don't get me wrong ... it's cool to think outside the box, but every artist needs a frame in which to work. In trying to be creative and create intimacy, I feel Stover strips his work of its sense of time and place.
    That's already a big problem for him (as well as most modern authors, to be fair), because his metaphors are so heavy. Everything he describes is LIKE something else; this technique is the first red flag that signifies the writer isn't special. Doing this automatically takes the reader away from the story to think of the objects in the metaphor.
    A great writer commands the language and can see the another level in stories: Use dynamic words, create imagery -- let the reader FEEL the story.
    This is the most ironic criticism of the book since the work is an obvious homage to Divine Comedy (which in itself is VERY admirable); and Dante is along with Shakespeare is the greatest craftsman ever to write.
    I don't expect any writer to rival those men, but one should always strive to be great.
    I also don't read Star Wars books for their elagance -- I read them for their excitement, and this book was fun and very thought provoking. Jacen is a cool "hero", Vergere works great as a foil to Yoda, and greatly expands George Lucas' universe; and Ganner's journey was fantastic.
    After reading this, I am eager to read Shatterpoint, but I just picked up The Swarm War, and Clone Wars Volume 7, so I have my work cut out for me.
    Plus, I'm finishing my first fan-fic, which I hope everyone reads.
    Overall ... bravo to Stover, who shows that Star Wars novels can be somewhat profound.

19. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    In all honesty this is probably my favorite NJO book. Whether you agree with Vergere and then Jacen's view of the Force you have to admit that it is interesting.

Stover made this book interesting and to be honest it almost didn't feel like Star Wars at the beginning. This may have been intended as a filler book between hardcovers, but I do think it might be one of the best if not the best NJO books.

20. killthekilliks

killthekilliks Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2005
    10 I love this book...it's my favorite from the NJO series

21. ConservativeSoldier

ConservativeSoldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    10. One of the best Star Wars novels in existence.

22. Monopoker

Monopoker Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2006
    I don't personally agree with the philosophy presented but DAMN this was an amazing book. Most quotable SW book I've read with some passages that simply sent chills down my spine. (The last page is SO well written.) If this isn't my favorite Star Wars novel it's defiantly in the top 5. After some great stuff in SbS this was a more than worthy follow-up (Nothing against Dark Journey, but it had its ups and downs whereas this book simply shocked me with its excellence). Can't wait to read DW and UF now.

I would have liked this book if it hadn't been put in the Star Wars Universe.

10/10

23. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    10/10.

I ******* love this book. Gogin to have to get a second copy soon.

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I loathe this book in ways no language yet conceived can convey. Confusingly written and espouses a philosophy totally anathema to my entire way of thinking. Vergere, as a character, is a bad character. And the dance is all and dance all is... dance fever?

If possible, negative Pi.

25. Siolo_Anoon

Siolo_Anoon Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    Question: WHAT WAS THAT?!
    Answer: That was Vergere... so what am I? I am very impressed.

I thought it was incredible and exciting to be lead through the next installment of NJO by following a single character. It took great story telling to keep my attention on a single aspect of the vast and epic goings ons of the war and turmiol while so many great characters are essentially setting on the sidelines for this one. Not only did it just keep my attention, but I didn't want to leave Jacen's side for a second, much less a page or chapter. Now I find myself reading faster to get to the Jacen chapters in the following books!

Great job by Stover in bringing Jacen Solo into his own, also by bringing some heady philosophy into print. Many of the fans read between the lines throughout the films and the expanded universe, with Traitor, we didn't have to. Thanks Matt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.