main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transformers Discussion Thread (Transformers: Dark of the Moon)

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Apr 24, 2006.

1. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    You know I've discovered something a little astounding recently. Starscream obviously only had a minor role in the movies so this would have been largely moot regardless, but Charlie Adler, is someone who can do a pretty good Starscream-esque voice if given the chance. Most newer versions of the character are essentially based off Chris Latta's voice and generally I think they do at least a vaguely passable job.

Tom Kenny did it in Transformers Animated
    Doug Parker did it in Beast Wars
    Michael Dobson did it in the Unicron Trilogy.

But if they had wanted to give Starscream a G-1 like voice in the movies (like with Optimus) I think the best candidate would have been Scott McNeil. I suspected he could do a good Chris Latta impersonation but I never imagined just how good. Seriously that was the best Starscream-like voice I've ever seen by far. It was amazing.

I've begun to wonder why he never actually played Starscream in any of the Transformers shows he was in.

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I read it on another message board, but someone there said their beef with Bay's Transformers movies is that it didn't even try to be a space opera like the original show was, and failed to include fan-favorite characters like Grimlock, or even unique G1 characters like Cosmos or Omega Supreme. In some ways, I agree with this person.

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Agreed.

I wonder what these guys would do if they had a $200 million budget.

4. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    that was freaking awesome.

the problem with bayformers? almost everything.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    In what universe are Cosmos and Omega Supreme considered "Fan favourites"?
    I mean, I was by no means old enough to really comprehend what was going on when the original Transformers cartoon aired, but growing up on reruns I never got the impression that they were anything other than throwaway characters.

6. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Well ASG, maybe Cosmos and Omega Supreme weren't that major, but they could have been introduced into the movies no problem, with Cosmos, being a flying saucer, being the spaceship that crashed at Roswell in 1947, and taking a cue from Transformers Animated, making Omega Supreme be the ship that brings the Autobots to Earth and acts as their base.

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I have to admit that the sick and twisted part of me wants to buy the Transformers 3 DVD when it comes out later this month simply to complete the set. It's sad because I've never finished watching Part 2 all the way through, but it seems wrong to own parts 1 and 2 and not get 3.

It's that same diabolic urge to buy Termintator 3 and Terminator Salvation even though I know they're bad. I just need to complete the whole set.

What is wrong with me?

8. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Have some standards, man. I own DVDs of Alien and Aliens, but have no desire or want to own Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection. As for Star Trek, I got every movie but 5, Generations, and Insurrection (Nemesis was a gift).

You don't need to own every movie in a franchise it you don't like certain films in it.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Quite a lot if you own any of the Bay Tranformer movies (especially the second one) :p

10. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I've been able to avoid adding Batman Forever and Batman & Robin to my collection so I'm not a hopeless case.

Cut me some slack, I bought the movie before ever seeing it (and I still haven't watched it all the way through).

11. LORDeron_MAULer

Apr 6, 2003
    So has anyone seen Transformers: Prime? It's been going on for a while now. I still haven't seen it yet. I have heard that it was decent to good at least.

12. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [image=http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site234/2010/0602/20100602__GeorgeLucas_200.jpg]
    BLASPHEMER!

13. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I have Episodes III-VI of SW, Terminator 1, 2, and Salvation, Shrek 2 (I would have the first two, but they apparently don't make it in widescreen anymore), and the Alien Quadrilogy (but not the AvP movies). There's nothing wrong with owning parts of series, especially since they aren't always essential to each other.

14. LORDeron_MAULer

Apr 6, 2003
    So I finally went and watched the first 5 episodes of Transformers Prime. I can say that while there were many things that bothered me, overall I was very impressed. Definitely better than Transformers Animated by a notch or two, I'd reckon. I don't know if it will be as good as Beast Wars but it definitely has a chance to to be up their with some of it's better episodes.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, definitely- it gets off to a slow start but Prime eventually gets quite excellent. It has some of the best character moments in the franchise so far and is a great blend of the different mythos. I'd dare say it's close to, if not already, the best version of Transformers ever produced.

It's also supposedly somewhat tied into the War for Cybertron continuity, which will be getting a sequel itself with Fall of Cybertron, which just got a trailer.

Great teaser, with more character development in 1.5 minutes than Bay has managed in 7+ hours.

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Have to disagree 2nd. Granted I haven't seen the entire season, but I just felt the charcters and story were mostly flat. And if i have to hear "ONE SHALL STAND, ONE SHALL FALL," one more time I think I'l flip.

BEAST WARS still ranks as the best TF tv show IMO

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's some great stuff with Starscream, Megs and Prime, though mostly in the backhalf (I think- the schedule was stretched out so it's hard to judge). Some of the minor characters get some decent stuff as well (the Arcee/Arachnia conflict isn't too bad) and the MECH angle is an interesting touch.

Basically, from around just prior to the return of Megatron through the Unicron cliffhanger, there's some very, very good stuff.

"Commander Starscream-"
    "IT. IS. LORRRRRRRRRRD!!"

18. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
  19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
  20. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Bay also claims he will be "reimagining" or rebooting the series. Though how anyone would tell behind the incomprehensible designs and the ADD editing, I don't know...

21. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The continuity (such as it is) exists in movie form.

Bay could IMO start on a Unicron trilogy, have Megs be changed into Galvatron, have Prime reformat himself into a more acceptable form.

He could also intruduce Rodimus, Ultra Magnus etc... and take the film onwards, moving away from the original and thoroughly bastardised versions that we now know and dislike.