main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [UK E4 TV] Skins and/or Misfits (+ Shameless)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Nov 29, 2010.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Have loved Skins, though season 4 lost its sense of humour and murders? wtf? And Effy turned from amazing to meh in one season.

[image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gRlMcUg_iu4/TA0N8eL3VMI/AAAAAAAABAM/L9qNx4yP8oU/s640/tumblr_l3fvujqw2g1qc9tbbo1_500_large.png] [image=http://s3prod.weheartit.netdna-cdn.com/images/4260826/tumblr_l9y7vcCKtu1qc164no1_500_thumb.png] [image=http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/14500000/Generation-3-skins-14537564-510-383.jpg]

So now I watch Misfits. Bloody good comedy/drama with a similar vibe, I just hope it doesn't go all Heroes on us.

[image=http://www.e4.com/media/16DDEAC5-6A56-46D3-B874-CA9C96F32F0F_extra.jpg]

Looking forward to the new cast turnover in Skins though. Lyra from Golden Compass and all. And the Skins movie. Not the US remake so much though.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, they totally ruined Effy. And the Season 4 finale was... uhh, different.

I've heard good stuff about Misfits too.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I agree about Effy.

Misfits has been great... until last episode. Way, way too much Heroes there. I think it may have jumped the shark. Crossing my fingers that I'm wrong.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I hadn't thought of the time travel with one of the gang coming back as protector to fix things being the same thing that screwed Heroes up (well, one of many that screwed Heroes up) until now. I think the Misfits writers are smarter than that though, from what I've seen so far. Didn't see the mystery person reveal coming either, I'd suspected it would be a Misfit that already had Time altering powers.

Pretty amazing sex scene this latest episode too. Ohh-la-la. And Nathan's tattoo was hilarious.

Punctuation fail. Should have read:

Have loved Skins, though season 4 lost its sense of humour. And it had murders, wtf?

5. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Season 4 just didn't work for me. I'm not sure I cared about anyone by the end. Too much unbelievable contrivance, not enough heart.

6. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    The last episode of Misfits was pretty good, so hopefully the ep I didn't like was just a slight blip. I'm surprised that they killed off future Simon so soon.

7. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Season 4 of Skins did end on a bad note. I heard it wasn't all the creators' fault though. They was supposed to be another episode--Naomi's ep, since she didn't have one in season 4, that would've wrapped up her and Emily's storyline. When the episode number got cut down, they had to put the two episodes together and a lot of plot threads ended up being dropped or hastily resolved.

8. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I haven't seen Misfits yet, though I am intrigued

I much prefer The Inbetweeners to Skins.

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I think that Series 2 of Skins set a bar that was so high that it was always going to be a tough ask to reach it again. But they did pick a good crew for the second generation. And while some things were a little hastily wrapped up (if at all) I personally am not someone that minds a little ambiguity or open-ness to character departures since not everything always wraps up nicely. Closing out with Cook how they did though fit with him and his relationships in my opinion.

10. slaythee-30

slaythee-30 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    Well, Misfits certainly didn't fall into the Heroes trap with the Masked Man. That was a damn fine episode, and the consequences of the reveal have cause a very interesting turn for one (well, two) of the gang.

The latest episode was hilarious - especially the fancy dress pose at the end. Writing sharp as always, and always good to see a gripping episode with minimal powers being used, just a few obvious thoughts being read and one immortal non-death.

11. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, it continues to entertain. I normally laugh out loud at least once or twice during an episode, and the next episode looks pretty interesting. And this year there's going to be a Christmas episode, right?

12. slaythee-30

Oct 2, 2002
    US Skins trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku8nAUuKDmg

Looks... familiar.

Mind you, as with the US Office and US Life on Mars, the pilots tend to be remakes of the UK pilot, and then they start branching away as the season continues.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I never get this US obsession with remaking all our TV shows. They're hardly ever as good, why not just show the original shows over there?

14. slaythee-30

Oct 2, 2002
    Because the UK seasons are over in 6-8 episodes, where the US like to stretch it out to 24 and bring in more advertising dollars.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Quantity does not equal quality. One of the problems I think some US series have is that they have too many episodes, the story gets drawn out too much and can move too slowly.

One of the reasons True Blood works so well is because it is only 12 episodes.

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Argh! Cliffhanger!

Misfits - what new powers will they choose? Simon will get jumpy, leapy, falling from heights powers, obviously. Alisha will lose her sexual attraction, Wondering if Curtis, Sarah and Nathan will decide to just get their old ones back. And will they go back and save Nikki, possibly?

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Even if it's just "identical but in the States" it'd be fun to watch -- and if it goes off in its own direction then more power to them. If it's terrible, well, it's no skin (heh) off my nose. It's not like it has any impact on the UK series, so who cares?

The US Office was awful... and then did its own thing and got great (for a time, anyway). So I don't understand the kneejerk hate. If it sucks it sucks, if it doesn't: awesome.

EDIT: Haven't given Misfits a look yet, but it sounds up my alley.

18. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Only seen the first two seasons on netflix instant. they was awesome.

apparently skins is coming to mtv, but they're not starting with the first season? wut?

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Doesn't really matter. Every 2 seasons they reboot the cast and start fresh (though there may be a few ties to the previous season pair, not necessary to enjoy the show. I got hooked on Season 3, went back and got the different cast season 1 & 2 DVDs, then season 4 aired (the weakest season by far). Looking forward to the new kids in season 5 soon.

20. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm more encouraged about the US version of Skins than I am of Shameless, but it's a wait and see. But either way, it's what they have in store for the 3rd generation that I want to see.

And I really should find the time to catch up on the two seasons of Misfits I have on my computer.

21. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I've just seen the first series of Misfits, and it was gripping.

I found that I wanted to sympathize with Simon, but every time I started to feel bad for him, he did something creepy.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well Simon has his moments in Season 2.

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Simon is less creepy in series 2. I think they changed the writers - I'm not sure that was a good thing though. I quite liked the fact that they were brave enough to make underdog Simon really creepy & vulnerable at the same time.

I still enjoyed season 2, though. I look forward to seeing what new powers everyone gets - I got the feeling the writers were struggling with the old ones.

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I think Simon's arc was amazing from the end of S1 to the end of S2 - I'm sure you were supposed to be morbidly fascinated and a little repulsed with him having sex with Alisha after that reveal. Then it just all made sense.

25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Skins and/or Misfits

There is an Ed Gein joke in there somewhere.