main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO Upcoming fanfilm

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jsmythe2008, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsmythe2008

jsmythe2008 Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2008
    Hey guys. As I said in the intro thread, I am new to the boards.

I will be doing a fanfilm parody of Indiana Jones/Star Wars in the next few months. Filming will begin once I have everything I need to actually start shooting.

I am really looking for anyone interested.

The film is going to be action packed and funny.

I am looking for

- People wanting to act in it (no pro experience required whatsoever!)
    - Tech crew members of any sort
    - A crew to work with me to rotoscope lightsabers and do other special effects (in dire need)
    - Costume workers

Anything really! I want to take the film as far as it can go.

It is going to be a fun and great experience so send me a PM or email: smythej@cbchs.org

also have AIM: badfish4146

Thanks!

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    This looks familiar.

Here's a hint: Before asking people to commit time/effort/money/thought to your project, there's a few things you should do first:

1) Give us information: An exceptionally vague description of just "fan film" isn't going to get people interested. It's best to provide a script and at the very least, a plot synopsis.

2) Evidence that you can actually accomplish this: As a veteran of the Fan Films forum I can tell you that 90% of fan films never even start filming. Why should we devote ourselves to something knowing this? Why should we feel that you are going to be one of the 10% that makes it? What projects have you done before?

That being said, I'm away at college, but when I'm in town, I can probably help. I, along with several others here have several finished costumes that might be what you need (I'm assuming there's going to be Jedi if you're wanting people to rotoscope lightsabers). If not, we're pretty good at making just about anything.

I've done a lot of theater and can act and I've also done rotoscoping and some other effects before, so I can potentially help you there.

Again, all contingent upon you convincing people that this is will come to fruition. I've been trying to launch a fan film for 5 years and it hasn't happened yet.

3. jsmythe2008

Jan 15, 2008
    Well I had thought the other way around. I wanted to get peoples interested before I went into detail about the plot and etc.

You guys may or may not like the story line.

It is a comedy/parody with lots of battles and intense lightsaber fighting.

Basically like this:

The film starts off similar to "Raiders of the Lost Arc". The main character moves through the woods until he comes to a cave of some sort. He enters the cave, dodges obstacles, and retrieves an artifact (to be determined, though we have MANY ideas on the drawing board). He retrieves the artifact to find that the "Sith" are after it. At night, Sith warriors come to raid his home. He begins to lose hope in defending himself against them when two Jedi Knights enter and make quick work of the Sith warriors. The Jedi introduce themselves and tell the main character about why the Sith came (and what they were, the main character knows nothing of the Sith or of the Force)and what they wanted. They sense that the main character has great power in the force, and realize that he may be a chosen one that will destroy the artifact and rid the world of its evil power. The Jedi spend time training the main character into a powerful Jedi (a relatively short transformation which will be part of the humor of the story). After another attack by the Sith, the main character performs well and the two Jedi decide his training is complete and he is ready to take on the Sith and destroy the artifact.They begin a quest to destroy it and with it a powerful Sith Lord (exact name to be chosen, we have many in mind). A final serious of confrontations begin, ultimately leading to a final showdown between the main character and the powerful Sith Lord. The Sith Lord is defeated after a heated battle and the artifact is destroyed.

There are many humorous things that will be implemented into this film. I will not delve into all of them, but some include:

- A Jedi dance off against the Sith

- A battle between Jedi and the Sith while in vehicles

- I am also thinking about implementing a style of shooting similar to that of "The Office" if any of you are familiar with it. Scenes in which characters are interviewed about things that have just taken place.

I am asking no one to contribute money. It is my project and the money will come out of my pocket. I have had no actual experience making a film similar to how I want this one to be, but I have done plenty of tinkering with video clips and also done a lot of stuff with "cuts" in film production. I do some part time work at a recording studio so I am also familiar with sound editing.

We plan to shoot the film on a Canon XL1 which is a very nice quality camera. I would like to take this project to an awesome level and do something that I have always wanted to do: make a film.

I figured if it was going to be Star Wars, I would get involved with the local Star Wars fan community and see if anyone else shared the same dreams I do of creating a funny or cool fanfilm and having a great time while doing it.

Actors are now in the 17-20 years old range, but we are taking anybody on that wants to be in it or help in any way.

If you feel that I will not actually go through with this, well then I do not know what to say, but I believe that I am quite reliable. I know a lot about long and steady commitments (and I have a uniform as a testament to that)and I am somebody that can stay focused and keep pushing on even if things do not always go the way I planned.

There is more info for you all.

The script is still being finalized. While that has been happening, I have been working with the crew on action choreography and getting together anything we may need for when shooting begins (Lightsabers,costumes,locations,crew members, and etc etc). There is plenty of planning to do and plenty we CAN and ARE doing while the script is still being fine tuned. I want it to be funny and enjoyable to anyone who watches it, so I want to make sure I put forth my best effort.

Hopefully that is enough to give anyone inter

4. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I would suggest coming to a couple of meetings. Get to know everyone and let them see that you are serious about this. We all have our own dreams of aspiration that may or may not come about, so I admire you for trying. Don't give up on us yet, just let us get to know you and then it might be easier to ask for help with your film.

5. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I second what leash is saying. It is hard when we don't know you, to make a commitment on a project of this sort. Nothing against you, just we are a little leery of new people maybe setting us up for a 'joke'. Please do get to know us, and like Jon says there are several of us with costumes or the want to participate. :D

6. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I hate to say it, but after what you've said, it sounds even less likely to succeed than I was originally anticipating? Large caves loaded with traps? Lightsaber fights in (presumably moving) vehicles?! Neither of these sound terribly plausible.

It does sound like you have a really nice camera and the ambition, but I'll make the general suggestion that we always make in the fan film community: Start small. So something smaller and easier to prove yourself to others and everything will be considerably easier.

Like I said, I've been trying to get a fan film together for 5 years and every time I do, it falls apart so I scale it back more and more. At this point, I'm down two small sets and a very small cast, but it's still being a tough time to pull together. Perhaps we could work together on something smaller and go from there instead of jumping headlong into a large project.

And I'd also suggest coming to some meetings and meeting people.

7. jsmythe2008

Jan 15, 2008
    Who said anything about a large cave with traps? We need a cavelike structure of some sort and we will put some cheesy, funny obstacles of some sort in it.

The vehicles will be moving around 5mph, so I do not see how it is so hard to reach out a window with a stick and clash it against another.

8. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I agree with what Leash and Christina said about getting to know us first

Being a fan fic writer, your story line sounds very interesting and I can invision what you are saying.

Only problm with the fighting in/leaning out of the moving vehicles, the police would frown on that if they happened to catch us. At best they would shut us down and give us a lecture on safety. Worst, we'd end up being ticketed or arrested for reckless driving, being a danger to ourselves and/or others, ect...

9. jsmythe2008

Jan 15, 2008
    Well - it would not be shot in regular streets. It would be on backgrounds somewhere away from traffic.

10. jsmythe2008

Jan 15, 2008
    I forgot to mention that I AM a police officer ;)

11. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Really? Where are you a police officer or are you just in an academy?

12. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Wow! A police officer; aren't you a little young? lol I have meaning to ask... do you have a costume, and if so what? Curious minds and all that. :D

13. jsmythe2008

Jan 15, 2008
    I am a military Police Officer. I live in Ferguson but I am based in Warrenton so we do a lot of work out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.