main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Using Bondo

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by diego1235467, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diego1235467

diego1235467 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2006
    I've read that you can use Bondo to make/fix armor, but I don't really know how. Could someone explain what exactly the Bondo is used for on armor, and how to use it?

2. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Use the Bondo the same way you would use it on a car.

Make your costume out of something (I use sheet metal) and use the bondo to cover the seams and rivits (The same way you use Drywall mud to make your walls look seamless)

Be carefull however, Bondo will crack and flake off if your piece flexes too much, or gets banged too much. You may consider Fiberglass and resin, it is used the same as the bondo, just like on a car. Remember, the less bondo, or fiberglass, the lighter the piece.

3. diego1235467

diego1235467 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2006
    where can I get the resin?

4. Minder

May 28, 2002
    Any Auto parts store should have it. It will be right beside the Bondo. Fiberglass-Resin

5. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    having lots of experience in the off road racing realm, here's my bondo tip- once it's on and has solidified the way you want it, seal it with primer or paint since exposed bondo will asorb moisture from the air causing it to distort and/or crack. you can get small tubes of resin from auto parts stores. they usually have it as boat/marine repair. for larger qusntities, look for an intustrial plastic/polymer supply store. i get stuff like that for my car anakin at this place called s&w plastics in so cal, if that helps. i got ani 1/4" plastic for underbody protection. there was a lot left over. it's easily shaped with an acetylene torch. very cool. if i wasn't so busy racing, i'd totally experiment with it.

6. Minder

May 28, 2002
    We have a store here in Canada called "Canadian Tire" It is basically an Automotive store that is becoming more of a hardware and home store every day.

I can buy Gallon sized cans of Regular Bondo, Fiberglass Bondo, No Hardener Bondo, Fiberglass Resin. Its a FANTASTIC store for people like us.

You can also get sheet metal, and metallic screen for making fiberglass forms, and every tool conceivable for working your project.

7. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    VERY informative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.