main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC VCD and DVD

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthDrew, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm actually quite amazed at a couple things when it comes to Lucas & Co
    1. They haven't released the prequels on DVD yet
    2. The "boxed set" of the current trilogy doesn't have a slot for the third movie. This seems to be an industry standard, though, the DVDs of the current LOTR movies has a boxed set of two without room for a third. *sigh* The logic escapes me.

Anyway, I just bought a set of prequel VCDs since our DVD player can play VCDs. When I get them, I'll let everyone know and perhaps we can have a movie watching gathering.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I have bootleg DVDs. They are copies of the SE laserdiscs, and the picture and sound quality are amazing.

I'll still buy the final DVD versions when Lucas gets round to releasing them.

3. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    In the words of our beloved malkie:

"Oh my god! Piracy is theft!" :eek:

Umm, the Prequels ARE on DVD. ?[face_plain]

2. The "boxed set" of the current trilogy doesn't have a slot for the third movie. This seems to be an industry standard, though, the DVDs of the current LOTR movies has a boxed set of two without room for a third. *sigh* The logic escapes me.

Well, it really isn't a trilogy boxed set then is it? ;) But not to fret there will be an uber-boxed set of the Prequels, once the third one makes it to DVD.

As for the LOTR, I don't know that a boxed set exists at this time. The LOTR:SE's are boxed. If you got the deluxe gift set of FOTR:SE, it came with a nifty bookends of the Argonath, which I use to currently hold up my FOTR:SE, The Hobbit, THe LOTR animated movie, and Return of the King animated movie. And space will be made for TTT:SE when it arrives.

And I think New Line made a statement promising not to release a boxed set at the end.

4. DarthDrew

Sep 26, 2002

Oh, yeah. I meant the original trilogy. [face_blush]

It's still amazing to me. I mean, if I were a marketing guy, I'd have them put together a three DVD box and have two boxes in there plus an insert that basically says, "When the third movie comes out, bring this insert in for your free copy." They could charge for a three CD set and have some pre-production figures on which to base their figures. It just seems logical to me.

5. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Viewing party! Whee!

but, and I have to say this on account of my job, bootlegs are wrong.... ;)

6. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    [Gollum]Filthy little thieves...[/Gollum]

7. DarthDrew

Sep 26, 2002
    That's the great thing about these VCDs. 100% legal. I've had enough of piracy after my WinBlows OSs.

8. DarthDrew

Sep 26, 2002
    Well, almost 100% legal. I just got them today! There's a disclaimer that says "not legal to export these disks outside the territories of Malaysia." Hmmm... Is the United States a territory of Malaysia?

Oh, well. When and where should we get together to view them?

9. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Are they any good?

And no, Malaysia is NOT a territory of the US.

10. DarthDrew

Sep 26, 2002
    They're good, nothing to jump up and down about, though.
    A few issues I have with them:
    1. I was hoping to get the non-special edition series since I don't like the 2 dimentional explosions when things blow up in space.
    2. I noticed one place where the video looked a bit pixellated. What should I expect, though, the tapes they burned these from were already 23 years old when they were created and Digital Video has come a long way in the last three years.
    3. No Leanard Maltin interviews.
    A few kudos
    1. Since they're on disk, the pause is quite clear - now I know where the second body is outside the Beru's house.
    2. No degredation of the video, or at least not as much as with a video tape
    3. No Leanard Maltin interviews. :)

The Malasia thing doesn't bother me. Honestly, since GL has given us no option to have disks, yet, except through illegal means, it's bound to happen. "When guns are illegal, only criminals will have guns." That type of thing.

Just my $0.02

11. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Oh its legal on disc... Laserdisc. Where do you think those VCD were copied from? I certainly hope they were not copied from the VHS tapes.

12. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    right now, as we speak, Lucas himself is going to close down our FanForce :(

we'll have to start having meetings in secret behind the pentagon city mall.

13. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
  14. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Seems about right for our FF.

Also, any discussion about such illegal activites should be kept private... We don't want George coming after us. It might not be pretty. :D

15. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Pity we're not a territory of Malaysia.

16. DarthDrew

Sep 26, 2002
    Honestly, I'm not concerned. First off, I found the site via the Classic Trilogy DVD thread. That thread says that these are official versions, meaning produced with the permission of Lucasfilm. Second of all, the disks and packaging all look very official. I don't think this quality could have been produced without input and support of Lucasfilm.

I'm sure GL is getting his dime from my purchase. The only loser in this transaction is the Malaysian government since it was shipped out of their territories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.