main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Video game based movies! Errr stop making them please?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Glockenspiel, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    Annoying isn't it? When your watching tv or reading a magazine and come across..."Hey, here making a movie 'based' (and I use that word VERY LOOSELY) on one of my most favorite video games in the whole wide world! Fantabulous!" the little guy in your head cries. And then you go to see the production and find out how much it sucks, and little guy like gets an anuerysm because he can't believe what he's seeing can be so awful, keels over and dies. What is the point, they're never good. Never. I wish they'd stop massacring the culture just to get rich off of marketing to young children, (who aren't supposed to play T and M rated stuff by the way for shame!). I'm speaking of course about the Silent Hill and Return to Castle Wolfenstien. Drat, you know, some of these games are extremely cool, artistic and I wish them to be remained untouched. Such games as

Chrono Trigger or any Mana Title
    Mega Man
    Metal Gear
    Silent Hill (upppp Too Late) <weeps>
    Unreal, Quake, Doom, Half life, Halo, exc (they already got Wolf)
    Final Fantasy (Ha! Loose that money! Bow your head in shame chairperson, serves you guys right Square!)

2. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    I don't want them to stop makinb movies based on video games, i want them to start making good ones. With the right writer, director, money, and actors you can get a brilliant movie based on video game.

3. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    My views exactly, KaineDamo.

Although, Mortal Kombat was pretty good, IMO.

4. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    I agree. Either start making good movies or not make them at all.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

5. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    They need good video game movies with quality up to par of that which was:

Super Mario Bros.

:D

6. Glockenspiel

Jul 31, 2002
    To the fellows who made the Super Mario Brothers Movie I have but two questions. What were you on? And no I don't want any, please keep a fair distance from the children (and young adults such as myself) and keep your drug induced disgusting perverse vomit at the screen horrible ideas to yourselves. (It has cult appeal to some fans, but I say to it Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeck!)

But there's the problem, they'll never get a decent script or a serious director. They just want to make money because they're lazy, it's an easy thing to do "hey take a video game idea, make a script that has nothing to do with anything and wala! There's literally zillions!" and some of those video game ideas let alone scripts, are FAR more creative than anything the movie industry has cranked out recently.
    I hate to see the day when anime movies or other Japanmedia becomes live action feature lenght for the 'dulled out' mainstream audience, you know the people who laughed at this stuff and it's fans before but turn hypocrite immediatly when it becomes super successful to the good ole dumb as dirt can't follow simple plotline American audience.

7. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Games like MGS 2 and Max Payne have much better storylines than most movies out now. Apparently, there is a Max Payne movie in the making. Hopefully, they will do the game justice.

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    No one saw Resident Evil?

AWWWWWWWWWWFUL!

Cute girl though.

9. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    Has anyone heard the GTA Movie rumor? Now that would be a horrible movie!

(I was jk about the Mario thing in case anyone was wondering) :)

10. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    I loved the Wing Commander games, they changed my life for the worse forever.

then the movie came out and i was crushed, what kind of trash was this?

Max Payne is an awesome game, but i dont know how well it would translate to a movie, it had way too much stroy for a 2 hour or even a 3 hour movie

11. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    They can always shorten the story. I don't think they would do a scene-by-scene translation to the movie.

12. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    The quality of Video-Game based movies has/is going up since the first ones seeming more and more games are getting better storylines that can easily be Transferred onto the sliver screen (Makes you wonder if they do this on purpose now).

A few examples are:

Max Payne
    Deus Ex
    Slient Hill

Deus Ex should be an Excellent transfer :)

13. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Does anyone else thing a Metal Gear Solid movie would be great if they did it right?

14. Glockenspiel

Jul 31, 2002
    "Deus Ex should be an Excellent transfer"

Should be...But it won't be.
    :(

15. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    i cant wait for DX2 to come out.

If DX was to be made a movie i only think geeky X-Files fans to actually go to it. but i would still like to see it.

16. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    No more video game OR comic book movies. I love both, but Hollywood has got to come up with something new. Doesn't anyone WRITE anymore, or just adapt "franchises" to the big screen? It's getting to the point that you're not even watching a movie anymore...you're just buying a commerical IMO. It's unoriginal, uncreative, and souless from what I've seen. I haven't seen ONE video-game movie that was any good IMO.

Tomb Raider (a nude scene MIGHT have helped)
    Super Mario Brothers (come on)
    Mortal Kombat I-II (lame)
    Resident Evil (great games TERRIBLE movie)
    Wing Commander
    and on an on...

Buy the game...play the game...skip the movie.

17. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I want to see more video games with a "video game theme" rather than a movie based on a video games. Something like "Hackers" or "Arcade". These were awesome, original movies using video gaming as a means to telling a story.

18. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    i always thought you could make a good fan film using scripted sequnces form JKII.

all i have to say is:

IF YOU MESS UP MAX PAYNE I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN LIKE A BLOODHOUND AND BREAK YOUR KNEES IN SUCH A WAY THAT YOU WOULD WALK LIKE A BIRD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

19. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    Anybody ever seen Double Dragon,based on the NES game? Pee-yew! Not even Alyssa Milano as a blonde in short shorts could save this train wreck of cinema.

About Super Mario Bros.: I heard the filmmakers put in 130 different things from the games,you know,stuff like the bombs and the like. Maybe it was to be true to the games,it's anybody's guess. I heard that John Leguizamo doesn't even like talking about it. From what I've seen,I don't blame him.

As for the whole genre itself,I think if they can't come up with a good story or be true to the game's essence,they shouldn't do it at all. What video game movies need is a film that will give the genre respect,like how Richard Donner's Superman film made comic book based movies respectable. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The basic problem is they either adapt games with no direct story (ie: mortal kombat, street fighter, etc) or the people making the games aren't fans of the game or treat the source material with respect (for example- the people who made the Super Mario Bros movie never even played a Mario game until Nintendo Power brought an SNES onto the set).

IMO- Resident Evil falls somewhere between and somewhere above these two problems- if you weren't familar with the game (I hadn't played Resident Evil until the GCN remake) it wasn't that bad of film, even if it felt slightly derivitive of Aliens. I could see how fans of the game would be dissapointed, but they'll probably enjoy the next movie better since it'll be directly based on RE: Nemesis, as opposed to a prequel to the original game. An odd situation since both Mila and Paul Anderson were big fans of the RE games. You have to admit it WAS pretty ballsy to end the movie like they did- which is why it would never had been made had it been funded by a studio.

Anyways, basicly what I'm saying is they need to start adapting games that are story based (Zelda, Chrono-series, Illusion of Gaia, etc). It is promising that they seem to have started to realize this, what with word of Silent Hill and Metal Gear games adaptations in production.

21. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    "No more video game OR comic book movies"

Are you kidding? There are loads of great movies based off of comic books:

Superman
    Batman
    Blade
    X-men
    Blade II
    Spider-Man

And there are very promising ones coming out in the near future:

Hulk
    X2
    Blade III
    Iron Man
    Daredevil (though i don't like the looks of what they've done so far with Daredevil)
    etc
    etc
    etc

WHOOHOO!!

22. Glockenspiel

Jul 31, 2002
    "Anyways, basicly what I'm saying is they need to start adapting games that are story based (Zelda, Chrono-series, Illusion of Gaia, etc)."

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, did I mention no? Nobody from that evil souless industry better touch Chrono Trigger, not even come within thirty feet of Chrono Trigger, not even mention the words Chrono or Trigger or movie or any combination of in the SAME SENTENCE. There are some things that should be left alone, untouched, untainted. Yes they should. But enough about that, on to bashing other game to movie abominations.

Resident Evil was the most pointless excuse for a video game movie EVER. "Hey lets make a cheesy B rated zombie flick based on a video game that's based on earlier cheesy B rated zombie flicks flicks!" Potato Potato Potato you say? Well sir, could you make them spuds baked and with extra cheese? Final Fantasy TSW almost made me believe all the 32-bit PSX Final Fantasy games were nothing more than Squaresoft's excuse to make a lot of CGI scenes as sort of test phase and to pull in their future audience for the GRAND craptacular CGI movie, while skimping on gameplay and getting rich off the rabid FF fans like me. Tomb Raider was a whole lot of nothing, what's up with making a male villain? MISSED OPPORTUNITY. Couldn't they make it like the first game with an interesting and ruthless female villian Natala with her plot of making demonic creatures rule the earth from within the Great Pyramid, and those centuar like beasts who guard the temple, sunken cities. You know the exciting stuff, that's fan friendly and dun dun dun IN THE ACTUAL GAMES!

23. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    just to say, Max Payne has gotten the green light for a movie.

plz god plz let it be good!

24. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    The same can be said for video games made about movies. ID4 anyone?

25. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    thats true as well.

it seems to be an impervious barrier between the two realms.

how about the new game based on The Thing looks interesting dont it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.