main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Video issues] ? for those who are computer savvy

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi Greg Maddux, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    i have a dell latitude laptop with an nvidia geforce4 440 go video card. yeah, it's old. the only game i play on it is diablo 2, but i guess that's an inaccurate statement cus i can't really play it. the resolution is all jacked up, the screen has shrunk to about half its size making the gameplay experience awful frustrating. how do i make make the game fullscreen?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There are two likely possibilities for settings:

1) Within the game itself to run in Windowed or Fullscreen mode.
    2) Right-click on the .EXE file itself and see if you can modify the run settings.

3. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    here's the thing, it's surrounded by black, not by the windows background. so it's definitely not windowed.

and on game.exe there really isn't anything to modify except for 256 color mode and windows compatibility, neither of which are problems.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Aha... that sounds like a game resolution issue. Is there any way for you to change the resolution at which your game plays (e.g. 640x480 -> 1024x768, etc)?

5. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    This might be one of those games where your windows desktop resolution had to be as big or larger than in game resolution

Then there's the standard re-install video drivers/get the patch/directX answer

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Most laptops can't display 800x600 at fullscreen, so they stick it in a small area in the centre of a 1024x768 the screen. Go into game options and turn resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768 and you should be fine.

(I know, it's what dp4m just said...)

7. ShadowStoneKat

ShadowStoneKat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    I believe Diablo 2 only had 640x480 or 800x600. I've not had a problem on any laptops I run, they do full screen just fine. Even my Mobility Radeon 9000 (1024x768 native) and Radeon X1600 (1280x800 native) handle it.
    Perhaps all you need is proper video drivers?

8. Apollo

Apollo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Yeah the highest that D2 can go is 800x600 and that was only with a patch that Blizzard put out that enabled that allmighty high resolution. It may be possible to go into the game files and manually change your resolution settings as I know one can do that for Tiberian Sun.

Also you may need to download a new video card.

9. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Jedi_Nailbiter, is that you?

10. Apollo

Apollo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2006
    No good sir it is not.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Some laptops have this odd feature that shrinks any window into a tiny centered thing and surrounds it in black, sort of like how a small image would look if it were a centered wallpaper. I'd check your function keys to see if you had one of those--pressing it again while playing the game ought to make it go back to fullscreen.

On my laptop it's fn+f5, but it could be different from yours since mine isn't a Dell.

12. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Func+F7 did the trick.

gaj=genius.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.