main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Virginia GOP introduces bill to instrumentally RAPE all women who want an abortion (seriously)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Feb 17, 2012.

1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Your inference was 100% incorrect. Please refer back to my post where I explain my position. I'm not going to continue to repeat myself. Don't put words in my mouth.

I agree - emotions are an integral part of being human. That being said, guilt doesn't inherently mean that a person is doing something wrong. People feel guilty all the time, even when they are doing the *right* thing. However, in medicine, the goal is not to make people make decisions based on emotions. That's why it's called informed consent - it's based on information, not emotions. Physicians spend a lot of time validing emotions - it's okay to be scared, confused, to have questions, etc. It is completely unethical to then turn these emotions against a patient and use them to manipulate patients into making decisions.

I don't understand your point about the ultrasound giving information that influences the mother's decision. What information is it providing? A heartbeat? You can (potentionally, depending on gestational age) hear this with a handheld doppler - no vaginal ultrasound required. See the clump of cells that currently constitutes the zygote? That's not going to provide any information to a patient. You can't tell if said cells are going to be healthy. They don't resemble a baby. That's the issue - the ultrasound provides no relative information - that's why it's not medically indicated. It only attempts to evoke a reaction - to make a painful difficult decision even more painful, compounding it with an invasive, humiliating procedure.

This article sums up the points I've been trying to make very well (Oh noes! NPR! The liberialism is going to get us!!)

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It isn't your place to be ****ing persuasive in the first place.

I read your posts plenty, and this isn't the first time I've seen you try and put your two cents in on how women should take care of their bodies. It's none of your business, quit holding what you think is morality on people you otherwise have nothing to do with.

Everybody chill out on the personal attacks or we start handing out vacation tickets.

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Hey guys. Did any of you watch Jon Stewart last night? He covered this issue, and it was really good. It kind of changed my mind on the issue. I mean, I always thought this law was stupid, hurtful, and unnecessary, but I didn't see it as a very big deal, because most woman are choosing to put themselves through it...nobody is forcing them.

After watching Jon Stewart though, I realize that it's just a stupid law and nothing good can come from it.

4. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Law has been dropped. w00t!!!

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Before I saw that segment I didn't realize the patient wouldn't be "forced" to look at the ultrasound image. Kind of defeats the whole ostensible purpose of the procedure and makes it unabashedly rape.

A Virginia senator had introduced an amendment to the bill requiring men to get a rectal exam before receiving treatment for ED. lol

6. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    [image=http://t1.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/17/29/32/400_F_17293290_xzoArIU7GEOTMgupQZFHxb22WWHHtkfg.jpg]

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    if ur a dude this is the key sentence you need to read itt

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Seem to be only a couple dudes in this thread who approve of this defunct legislation wholeheartedly.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    that doesnt change my post??

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Could've said "if you're Obi-Zahn Kenobi or wannasee." :p

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    =D=

Do you have a link?

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    no i think its good general practice that men should shut up and listen when it comes to women's reproductive rights

13. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I am adding Darth_Guy and Rogue_Ten to my list of people who need to work on their reading comprehension.

14. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't know if you think these outbursts make you look tough or like a strong woman, but to me you just seem like that emotionally disturbed kid that used to spaz out in the middle of class.

15. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    no wannasee, you need to work on your writing clarity significantly. when you have a large sample size of people and no one is getting what you think you are saying you are the one with the problem, not everyone else.

and seriously, what you said about being personally attacked and having no choice to but to respond in kind? cop out. of course you have a choice, you just chose to do the same thing. ever think of taking the high road or something?

oh yes, on topic: i think that it was a disgusting idea. maybe make it mandatory to offer something that accomplishes the same thing, the hand held doppler that TMJ was talking about, but making something like this mandatory to do is pure B*.

16. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007

17. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i do seem to recall you saying you supported it going into law back at the beginning of the thread, so you contradicted yourself.

and i'm not saying anything else, i get too involved like threads like this the few times it has happened.

18. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    You can't produce that quote because I never said it. You are going on the list too.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    on the new board im regging the name wannasee

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Dammit rogue, I was going to make a joke about how I don't wannasee that list.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    lol, Rogue

Speaking of which, Rogue's comment (echoing ASG's) applied just as much regardless, since you said (repeatedly) that you support "forcing" the woman to look at pictures of the fetus. Later, you commented that there was an "ethical reason" for showing ultrasounds.

22. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/The-Daily-Show-With-Jon-Stewart/89142/2200097801/The-Daily-Show-2-21-2012/videos

I loled, it was a very hilarious episode. :p

23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [image=http://gifsoup.com/view1/1416095/hide-yo-kids-hide-yo-wife-o.gif]

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    what is wrong with you?

25. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    So you're saying rogue should be taken off the list? That's fine. If he understood what ASG said, he actually deserves a ribbon in reading comprehension.

Darth-Guy And Trimaj have to stay though.

I never said they should be "forced" (tied to a chair with someone holding their eyelieds open) to look at the pictures. I said that they should be provided the pictures. You know, like in an envelope.

I did say there was an ethical reason for showing pictures of the fetus, but I never said that I supported the means through which the pictures were going to be acquired.