main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Volumetric Fog

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Corrin_Wyndryder, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm trying to use volumetric fog that can react to models inside it. (i.e. A ship swirling the clouds behind it. ATOC) I've worked with the Volume Fog in Max, and it doesn't have the control I want. Is there a way to do this in 3DS Max 6? Is there a free plugin? Or do I need to find one for myself?

2. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    I don't believe there is a "built-in" automatic effect for this in any app... but it can be done with paticles and scripting. Good luck with that though, you are getting into heavy-duty dynamics simulation. Houdini or perhaps Maya would likely be the best choice for such complicated dynamics.

3. djTomServo

djTomServo Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2003
    Ditto what PapaFett said, i don't know much about dynamics in Max, but the theory is basically taking a group of particles or a fluid and use the ship's animation to drive some sort of dynamic field that disturbs the particles.

4. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    You can do that with the Afterburn plugin for 3ds Max, which also does realistic fire, smoke and dust. The sad part is that it costs a lot of money.

5. Shadows_545

Shadows_545 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 2002
    Sadly Viper is right... I wish it wasn't so expensive, but yah if you wanna spend the bucks go for it, AfterBurn!

BTW, is it just me or did AfterBurn used to be a digimation product?

6. Darth_Steven

Darth_Steven Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    If you have it available to you there is a good tutorial in the January issue of 3D World magazine. It uses a particle system to create a evading flock of birds, but could probably be easily translated into some type of dust or smoke particle effect that you are looking for....

The only drawback I see is that you will need the latest version of Max in order to pull it off. The tutorial is by Peter Draper who knows he might have it posted on his site as well....

www.xenomorphic.co.uk

Hope this helps you out....
    Later
    Steve

7. JediHopper

JediHopper Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2001
    Se if the Spacewarp
    vortex works.

8. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Fortunately, I have the latest version of Max at my disposal. I'm the 3D Lab Aid for my college.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.