main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

W.VA Vote in the main page poll.

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Ithorian, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ithorian

Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2000
    I'm gonna get on my soapbox for a minute, now. :)

According to TF.N News, George announced at the ILM tribute this week that the SW Classic Trilogy DVDs will only contain the Special Edition versions of the film.

Now I'm a big fan of DVD, and I drool at the thought of seeing these films on screen looking that good.

But not without both versions. I want both versions. I don't want to have to watch Greedo shooting first if I don't want to. I want to be able to pick and choose which version I watch. ROTJ Special Edition is really the only one I prefer over the original, and that's just barely. From a personal standpoint, I think it destroyed a perfect movie in ESB, and detracted more than it added to ANH.

Now George, who is a big proponent of movie preservation, has decided not to preserve the original versions of his movies. Odd, eh?

I'm not the only one mad, either. Check out this link for another rant. :p

Anyway, the reason for my post is to let you all know there's a poll about it on TF.N's main page. Please go vote , and vote on it any way you want. I just thought I'd put my opinion out there. :)

2. Samuel

Samuel Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    I liked the special editions with in "reason".

Like the Battle of Yavin...Battle of Endor and the nice "clean up" job they done on the Battle of Hoth. Of course I would love for them to add more of the old deleted sences with the snowtroopers fighting through Echo base....but ya know me I just like the Empire :p ;)

And course it would be nice to have a much more intense and dramatic battle of Endor. It just never gave me that great feeling that a battle was going on like there was at Yavin.

As for the special editions........I don`t want Luke's scream in ESB......or Han shooting first. Han is kinda like the star wars version of Clint Eastwood! Han isn`t the goody goody goodguy. Hes a badass :p

Han Solo, or atleast the pre-special edition was the most real character in the movies! They just gotta give people a choice.

3. Master_Wolf

Master_Wolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2002
    I had heard about this a while back, tho it was a rumor at the time and not fact. I figure the reason he's waiting so long on the DVD versions is because theres some scene's he can add in that would give away a good bit of episode 3. At least that's my take. As to not having the original versions in, it pisses me off too. While i can appreciate the editing, one of the things i enjoyed so much about the original trilogy was sitting back and enjoying all the special effects he did before you had 3,000 blue screen sets. Somehow, when he edited and "cleaned them up" a bit, it took away something while adding something else. I liked that Han was smart enough to know greedo was going to try and kill him without greedo actually firing a shot. I think Mr lucas has forgotten that with a lot of older films, they dont look perfect, but they have a certain "camp" value, which is worth more than just about any special effects.

Here's hoping to seeing that snowtrooper storming the base scene on the DVD. ( I've always like the stormtroopers, and the snowtroopers.) ;)

Anyways, thats my $1.45. (since it seemed to turn out to more than $.02) :p

4. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    I too liked the special editions to a certain point. The new added effects in most cases I think will help somewhat in creating a complete saga that ties in a little better.

But I do have my issues with them too, and don't get me started on the whole Greedo thing!

With DVDs today there is no techinical reason you cant have a choice, maybe even make a box set for each with each version. Everyone remembered some things about Star Wars that were very special to them, and if that had been effected by the SE releases, then allow them to see it the way they want to at home in DVD format. :)

Ok, soapbox is free now, next! :)

5. Ithorian

Apr 13, 2000
    I am reassuming my position on the soapbox.

The Digital Bits is pointing people to an online petition regarding the release of the original cuts on DVD. Go check this site out!

OriginalTrilogy.Com

The site's not fully active yet, but there's a link to the online petition.

6. Master_Wolf

Master_Wolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2002
    /added his john hancock

7. Ithorian

Apr 13, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.