main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Vote: Jon Favreau, Matthew Vaughn or David Fincher.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Dec 2, 2012.

?

Out of the 3 front runner directors, who would you choose?

1. Jon Favreau

27.8%
  2. Matthew Vaughn

47.6%
  3. David Fincher

24.6%
  1. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Jon Favreau have a Astromech droid as his Twitter image, enough said.

2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I don't think he was just talking about the content of Fincher's movies. He was probably talking about the degree to which Fincher color grades his movies in post to give them "looks" and "style."

There's rarely been a director as reliant on post production color grading as Fincher. The only other guy who comes to mid his fellow Aliens helmer, Jean Pierre Junet. Fincher's a bit gimmicky this way. I'm just glad he's finally abandoned floating shots through vents and coffee handles that add nothing.

EDIT: My phone won't let me paste a Benjamin Button still or any still but I encourage you to google any of Fincher's films and the word bluray, view the screen grabs, and you'll see that all he does is have the color timer push 2 colors in every scene. He usually mixes brown with one other color or green with one other color. He's always done this.

3. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Fincher would be good for a second, darker, installment in the trilogy. The first one needs to remind us and have the same tone of ANH. I'd give Fincher for Ep. 8, and if Ford is willing to do two, make Han die in the Ep.8, mirrorring his ending in The Empire Strikes Back. Would be bittersweet, but fitting.

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I saw Benjamin Button. I thought it was a beautiful picture that was much more Forrest Gump than anything else. And I doubt he was talking about the color correction -- that's ridiculous if that's why people don't want him to direct SW. The prodcucers of SW -- Kathleen Kennedy -- will have more to say about how SW is color corrected than any director. And I'm sure theres even a formula for that aspect as well.

5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I think D. Fincher would be a great director for 1 or all 3 of the next SW films. Just because much of his '90's output was dark, gloomy, and somewhat nihilistic, his films in the 2000's have, for the most part, been much different.

And, to agree with some previous posters, who says that "dark & gloomy" doesn't fit in the SW universe? ESB is quite dark (both literally and thematically), and it's considered by many fans to be the best film in the Saga....

Darthsuggs and Echo-07 like this.
  6. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Amen!

When we start banning directors for color correction then we will be hard-pressed to find any decent directors even to film the damned things!

Darthsuggs likes this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think partially the reason I feel the need to point out that Fincher isn't the chosen one on these is primarily because I am really not buying the fact that he's interested or that Lucas Film would choose him. I've heard he demands that his director's cuts be the theatrical version with no studio interference.

I just can't see Disney relinquishing THAT much control over market testing, reshooting, etc. I love Fincher; don't take my mild criticisms of his overreliance on extreme color grading and his earlier over reliance on motion control to mean that I don't think the guy's a great director. He's made some awesome movies and is without a doubt the biggest remaining name left but I just don't want everybody to act like he's begging for this so that when he isn't chosen there's not this huge letdown from everybody.

I just don't think he cares enough to convince Kennedy or Lucas to give him the reigns. I don't care how talented you are. If you sit down with Lucas and Kennedy with basically the equivalent of a, "Meh, sure, I'll do it BUT..." And go on to list all these conditions I don't see how they'd side with that over a guy barely over 40 who's stated over and over again since before these sequels were announce that Star Wars changed his life, a guy who has a great personal story about Star Wars as a kid, a guy that has nerd cred by directing an underground comic, an underground graphic novel, a fantasy film, and a resurrected the xmen franchise after a horrible Xmen 3 almost killed it.

I just don't buy that Fincher wants the gig bad enough to set up a meeting, much less convince Kennedy and/or Lucas that he's up for devoting the next 9 years or so of his life to this.

Sequels have changed since the 70s and 80s when Star Wars chose a different director each movie. Marvel tries where possible to keep the same directors involved. Disney has with some of their sequels and is on Tron 3. Abrams is helming the next Trek. Jackson filmed LOTR and the Hobbit back-to-back-to-back. The last 4 Potters were all Curon if I'm not mistaken. I think that when an outline or group of stories is available for multiple stories, where possible, the studios will always prefer to work with one director. So, I think they will want one person on all 3 sequels with other directors tackling stand-alones (like a Fett film). So, if Fincher is in talks I would wager it's for a stand-alone of some kind and not these first 3. Same for Joe Johnson. He might get a stand-alone as well.

I think they're setting up stand-alones while also deciding between Favreau or Vaughn (or perhaps Verbinski still) to direct the "big 3."

8. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003

I doubt that he is pining for the job but if he was making just Episode VII, he wouldn't have to devote 9 years of his life. Personally I want a different director for each installment.

9. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I wouldn't mind that. I think Vaughn would be great for any of them. Fincher would be best for Ep 8 because its bound to be darker and with ore conflict, which seems all he's qualified for and Favreau would be great for tying it all together.

I think Vaugh is the chosen one already and he will get first dibs on the others as well.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want Vaughn to get more recognition. Favreau and Fincher have already become household names so to speak.

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    None of the above!

12. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012

^ And the alternative is . . ?

13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Jon Favreau now has a Star Wars droid on his Twitter page. :)

https://twitter.com/Jon_Favreau

He could be campaigning or it could be a hidden announcement. I think it is the latter.

Jedi Knight Fett and Dranem like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Werner Herzog and David Lynch will co-direct the piece.
    The world will then asplode because of this.

15. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Jon Favreau? The guy who directed Elf, Iron Man II, Cowboys & Aliens, but worst of all; Revolution. No thank you!

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Fincher is my pick. I have seen several of his movies and I am impressed even with his not so admired work (Alien 3 which I absolutely love!). I have only seen Cownboys&Aliens from Favreau and I tried to like that movie, I kept telling myself that it would be a fun movie, but in the end I felt dissapointed. As for Vaughn I haven't seen anything from him (yet).

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Nah. It's just a R2 unit in Iron Man colors. Even has the IM chest piece.

18. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I still think Joe Johnston is a big possibility

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That's actually been there for weeks.

20. Obi-Wong

Obi-Wong Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2012
    I also think Joe Johnston is still a candidate.

21. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    There should be an option for none of them. If I had to I would pick Fincher as the other two are waaaaaay over rated. However I don't think Fincher is right either. He was also speculated to be directing a prequel (Probably Ep III) when they were announced which never happened. But please, for the love of god don't give it to Favreau. He got lucky with the first Iron Man which was fairly entertaining but otherwise he's a journeyman, if not a hack.

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  22. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I think Jon is good for SW. What about all the talks few years back about Kevin Smith?

23. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    [face_sick]

24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Do people not get that:
    A. he's not really a successful director and
    B. he's one foot into retirement from directing?

I find the SW fan loyalty to Kevin Smith adorable, yet befuddling.

Also: JJ was officially approached, and turned it down. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/25/j-j-abrams-has-officially-turned-down-star-wars-episode-vii/

25. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Convenient that you left off Iron Man 1...