main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Palpatine in-love with Anakin's Power?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Old_Zen, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    This is meant as a mature and serious discussion nexus for the open-minded, secure and considerate of different points of view people. Palpatine in ROTS comes off as a child-Molester sicko freak, so this theroy is certaintly not reaching. You can watch ROTS with this in mind and it would make sense. Palpatine certaintly sounds like he's getitng an orgasm when people do evil dark things..does he get a sexual charge out of evil? Like many people think the devil in many cultures and religions do? This could have been deliberate as a subtle nudge by Lucas, being he loves to link together all magor religous themes in his myth.

And the three pointer...

Was there a deeper meaning to why Palpatine wanted Anakin/Vader as his little pager boy?

(If you accept this point of view, the movie takes on another interesting way to look at it....A love triangle between Padme-Anakin-Palpatine with Palpatine winning in the end. Sidious smile at the end signifies he is happy she is dead because he won.)

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't think so...

3. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    He is not capeable of love.

4. Old_Zen

Mar 18, 2005
    Now you see I don't mean love as in pure selfless love but love as in the drunken/Lustful Addictive love that Anakin's love for Padme eventually became. The love a drug-dealer has for pot.

Anakin can be or is the most powerful being in the universe and since Palpatine is attracted to power above all else, this could be a cataylist for the love/lust craving he has for Anakin/Vader. Certaintly adds a new layer to the scene where he comes up to a crispy Vader..and has that ravaged expression on his face...

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yes Rolls, what turns Palpatine on isn't sex it's power. UNLIMITED POWER!

6. Old_Zen

Mar 18, 2005
    Notice that he screams that the moment Anakin makes the ultimate choice to join with him. Anakin posses the ULTIMATE POWER he so craves..and this develops into a sort of obsessive lust addiciton to Anakin/Vader. This is the dark side that is how Anakin becomes with Padme, is it not?

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, I never looked at their relationship that deeply. Hmmmm.... It certainly gives me something to think about next time I watch ROTS! [face_laugh]

8. Old_Zen

Mar 18, 2005
    Here, I have a good example:

Think of how the one Ring affects people in LOTR.

This is what the Dark side does to people who fall to it, in a way.

"Darth Vader is Palpatine's PRECIOUSS!!!!"

9. Old_Zen

Mar 18, 2005
    Wow, I'm even starting to notice more and more ways this point of view gives new meanings to parts in the movie...take for instance all the times Palpatine does sweet/nice things for Anakin, its almost as if he's spoiling his loved one, aside from seducing him to evil. He's know Anakin for 13 years...this dosen't seem totally reaching, you must admit.

EDIT: Perhaps he even thought up the idea of arranging his kidnapping in the reason that Anakin would come rescue him. His Prince charming.

10. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    of ourse Palpatine is into Whiny 23 Year old Pretty Boys.

11. Old_Zen

Mar 18, 2005
    Well a young, handsome strong nai've powerful divine man who is known as the Chosen one and could possibly become the most powerful entity in the entire universe. Palpatine gets off on power, Anakin has the ultimate ulimited power...this is the basis for his developing love/lust longing which then switches over to Luke in ROTJ.

"They asked you to do something that made you feel dis-honest, did'nt they, hunny-pie?"

12. Old_Zen

Mar 18, 2005
    The movie takes on an ironic twist...One lover uses the thought of the death of the other lover to gain the subject of the love triangle's love....In a sick, twisted perverted way ofcourse.

13. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    As others have mentioned, the Emperor isn't capable of love. He's too evil to care about anyone but himself. Power is what the Emperor truly craves. I don't see any signs that he's interested in any sort of personal relationship.

14. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    Ah....no [face_plain]

15. Old_Zen

Mar 18, 2005
    Once again..I do NOT mean love as in the love a mother has for her son or a boyfriend-girlfriend love! I mean love as in the creepy evil posseive addicted stalker, lustful type. Anakin is a figure of ULTIMATE POWER! ONCEE AGAIN people, THIS IS WHAT attracts him in this point of view! How many times do I have to say it? This is only an interesting way to look at things...open your minds.

In the end, Anakin's love for Padme becomes corrupted and twisted to a love simliar to this but with a speck of true love still within.

16. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    Although this isn't like me (with the concern to palps) I'm going to have to agree with farrellg

17. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    I too agree with farellg no way

18. Magical_Maestro

Magical_Maestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2005
    Vader: What is thy bidding my master?

Palps: Go out to the command ship and await my orders. Oh, and pick up that bar of soap on your way out. :p

19. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    If you're simply talking about an obsessive desire, then you might have a point. The Emperor craves power, and Anakin can provide him with exactly that because of young Skywalker's supernaturally strong connection to the Force. With Anakin on his side, the Sith Order will be so strong that the Jedi will have no chance (or so the Emperor thinks).

However, I would never classify lust for power as love or even lust for a person. The Emperor is interested in the concept of absolute control, not in any specific person. The people involved in the Emperor's plans to achieve his ultimate desire of ruling the galaxy are nothing more than tools to him. This couldn't be more evident then when he's ready to sacrifice one apprentice for a younger, more powerful one. Anakin simply helps the Emperor achieve the state of control over the galaxy that the Emperor desires.

20. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Well you (the author) have to ask yourself if the thought of Palps being in love with Anakin in the way you mention was ever thought of by GL, and I can say with a decent amount of certainty... no.

21. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I don't think so:)

22. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    I would say so. Palpatine does seem to treat Anakin as if he were his son. And "in-love" you mean by Palpatine having a desire in Anakin's abilities as the perfect Sith Apprentice? Anakin also talks about him being a mentor or a friend. I would probably say, yes.

23. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Old_Zen said: " . . . A love triangle between Padme-Anakin-Palpatine with Palpatine winning in the end."

Ouch! Tainted love.

In a certain sense, your question has a "yes" leaning answer to it.
    - Palpatine loved only two things; himself, and power
    - Palps foresaw that Anakin was destined to be "more power than both" Yoda and Palpatine
    - Palps obviously cared for Anakin, but I think that caring was more as a bear hunter cares for his prized attack dog, the instrument that makes him bigger and badder than anyone else
    - Palpatine craved, perhaps even lusted after Anakin's potential power. "Power -- unLIMited POWER!" So much so that, like a moth to the flame, he realized he was playing with a 'force' that could one day eventually kill him.

Yes, Palpatine wanted Anakin. He wanted him in an 'unnatural' way, the way of a Sith master to his incredibly talented and powerful apprentice, to accomplish 'unnatural' things in the way of the Sith. This was likely as close to what normal beings call 'love' as Palps would or could ever get.

24. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Um... what?

Palpatine loved Anakin like a product :confused:

25. DarthTrump

DarthTrump Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    I kinda think the Palpatine thinks of Anakin as a Son

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.