main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Weapons in SW: Question and discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    No idea. The only weapons she used in the novellas were a lightsaber and a shovel. Maybe that's a vibro-shovel? :p

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  2. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    You are actually right. In the words of the Wook:
    "She was also proficient in telekinesis, as displayed when she used the Force to remove Marrian's entire tool collection from the wall of his barn, using her fury to keep them in a whirlwind as she rampaged through the barn with her shovel."o_O

So.... apparently the Sith have really awesome shovels.:)

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Then I shall call it miekka after sword type by that name, from the RPG Drakar & Demoner, that it is similar to

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The Sith properly never build anything that you can not kill someone with. :p

Revanfan1, Gamiel and Ordo N-11 like this.
  5. Ordo N-11

Sep 28, 2013

So what does the Sith toothbrush look like?:p

6. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Easy, the end's got a spike on it, so you can jab it into someone's throat. The spike is probably poisoned, too. You can never have too many poison-coated weapons.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    So, we've gotten several sourcebooks dating back to I am guessing somewhere around 1999-2001 which state that the Sith use synthetic lightsaber crystals and that the blades generated by these crystals are capable of "breaking" the blade of a Jedi lightsaber using an "inferior" Adegan crystal or replacement level equivalent. It most recently appears in Book of Sith, with Quinlan Vos contesting the claim with "Nuh uh, it's the other way around brah." But am I mistaken that this has never ever ever happened in a single story ever?

I know the crystals convey different benefits as a matter of game mechanics, whether it be a pen and paper RPG or KOTOR or SWTOR, but what type of crystal a lightsaber uses has never been at all relevant to any Star Wars narrative at all besides what color the author describes the blade as, correct?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Generally yep, though here and there hints have been drooped that certain crystal will be more energy efficient and even the Kotor and Swtor special blades can properly be explained with some of the Force Presence of famous users lingering (seems to for example be the case with Exar Kuns Weapon).

9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    AFAIK you are correct. But there is one case that would support Quinlan's theory–in Crosscurrent, the Alpha clone had a red saber that sparks like crazy (possibly because the clones were crazy and they couldn't properly attune the crystal, though). When Jaden takes the saber, he purifies the crystal, it goes from red to yellow, and it no longer spits sparks. So it could be taken either that the crystal was improperly attuned due to the clone's madness, or that the red crystals truly are impure compared to other crystals.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Kemp's treatment of lightsabers in Crosscurrent and Riptide don't make sense. When the Umbaran assassins shut off Jaden from the Force, his lightsaber stops working. So how does Grievous use a lightsaber? Or Han Solo? Or training droids? These aren't forcesabers.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The lightsaber-shutting-off I always took to be a separate power than their shutting down the Force. Also, it may have been very odd (at the time) for Jaden to purify the crystal to make it aligned to him, but in actuality TCW used this concept in the Young Jedi arc just two years later–so it is quite possible that they took the inspiration for this idea from Kemp (or that Kemp saw an advance script of the Young Jedi arc).

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    In the Young Jedi arcs, they were looking for crystals that were already aligned to them -- it had more in common with the Exile's crystal in KOTOR 2 than Riptide. The whole thing in Riptide just strikes me as really bizarre and whimsical.

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That's true. But in Young Jedi the crystals were clear until the kids used the Force and made them change into a color (green and blue only because Lucas!).

14. Ordo N-11

Sep 28, 2013
    I agree, while having a Lightsaber attuned to you is cool and adds a touch of the mystical, it is not cool or canonical to have it shut off when the Force is lost. Also, I really liked that Umbaran Assassin. I hope he returns as a clone or something.

15. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I meant to post these links before on Star Wars tech and weapons along with scientific explanations for power and weapon damage discrepancies and how the ICS series is correct in terms of weapon calculations.
    http://www.scifights.net/SciFights.net/Star_Wars.html
    http://www.scifights.net/radius.mov
    http://www.stardestroyer.net/tlc/

In the short run, the basic premise is that these weapons ARE that powerful(Kiloton to Teraton Range) but due to their nature as directed energy weapons they would not have as much collateral damage as a nuclear weapon of the same yield.

A 200 gigaton nuke would screw the whole State of Texas and much of the surrounding states while a 200 gigaton Turbolaser blast may only destroy a city the size of Dallas due to its nature.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's still a huge jump to go from in-movie possible evidence of megaton firepower from the ISD, to multigigaton firepower from the much smaller Acclamator.

from the Turbolaser commentary:
    Another asteroid in a previous scene may have been as large as 100 meters in diameter, requiring at least 31,000 terajoules to vaporise!

31,000 terajoules is 31 petajoules (which corresponds to 7.38 megatons of TNT).

(and that was based on the assumption that the Falcon was 53m long- its canon length of 35m scales the energy down considerably).

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of items and equipments have we seen used as improvised weapons?

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Is that a second blade coming out of the end of the sword handle? Also, are not those spikes highly impractica?

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

You mean beyond just hitting someone with a tool or using Spears?

I think that is just cloth or a feather.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what tools are used to hit someone with?

Spears? As in the weapon spear?

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Vibrospanners seem popular for that.

Yep, sharped pieces of wood ;)

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any other tools?
    I don't see spear as improvised weapons

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Not from common memory, though of course there are always things like survival knifes.

Well it is certainly easier to build in the wild then a Blaster.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But how is it improvised?

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Because it is a piece of wood with a pointy end? [face_dunno]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.